Medifast Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Medifast CEO Daniel Chard
Daniel Chard
1 Rating

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance here (in 16 reviews)

• There are several great benefits to being an employee of Medifast: (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was a bit rude and unprofessional (in 20 reviews)

• Combatting the Obesity Epidemic and improving peoples lives through weight loss is just so much smoke (in 13 reviews)

"Weight loss counselor(such a joke)"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Rockville, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly
    Relaxed environment
    Seeing people loose weight
    Nothing else, I have to put something else in this section. 20 word min

Cons

Training!!!
    Pay
    Scamming people
    No investment made into the employees, causing the business to suffer(offer better training)
    Commission is a joke

Advice to Management

Better training. I left because the training was a joke. Did not want to waste anymore of my time. Medifast(the franchise) seems like a scam!! People are paying for weekly visits with health coaches, but we are not trained on how to coach. It was really just a sales position. Call it what it is. Loosing customers because they know it's BS

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pikesville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pikesville, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros except for the great people that work for Medifast because they are passionate about helping and caring about people. Upper management, franchise owners and corporate do not care about their employees or customers at all.

Cons

Medifast Corporate was losing money on their Weight Loss Centers so they franchised the centers to random buyers who have no clue about the weight loss industry;

Advice to Management

You are losing members, staff, money and your reputation. Think about it.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

Decent benefits. Reasonable compensation. Can be an OK place to work, particularly if you're passionate about the mission. Not a bad place to gain a little experience to take somewhere else.

Cons

Big declines in revenues year over year have resulted in poor business decisions. There does not seem to be a coherent strategy for getting back on a growth track. It's uncertain whether it's endemic to the industry, but the leadership here is not top-tier. It's still a family owned and operated business, despite being public.

Advice to Management

A little introspection would go a long way. Every company needs to assess whether the right people are on the bus, start in the C-Suite.

"CSR Call Center?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Taking a job in the call center will make you appreciate your next job someplace else!

Cons

Considering a csr job in the Medifast call center? My advice? Run, don't walk to your next job interview. High turnover of reps. Not unusual for 4 out of 5 new reps to have quit or been fired within 6 months. But if you have no other choice take the job while you keep looking. Don't believe the "we are family" b/s. Get stuck in a snowstorm? A car hits you on the way to work making you late? You'll get dinged for it.

"No wonder they closed..."

Former Employee - Counselor in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Manassas, VA

I worked at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience with working with people on a day to day basis and changing their lives. The relationships built are long standing.

Cons

Since the company was franchised, they created a new set of rules and criteria for staff. You were never allowed to take time off, the hours were awful, and treated staff like they were just a number. Ultimately ending in laying off staff with 9 days notice.

Advice to Management

This explains why you closed all the VA locations, and money ran dry. It is sad the amount of time you gave people who paid thousands of dollars for a weight loss program no time to figure out their plan of action. You destroyed people's income, and lied from the beginning about caring about employees with giving such a short notice. You left us without benefits and facing unemployment. You obviously did not know how to run a business. Shame on you!

"Horrible First Job Out of College"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in The Colony, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really don't have much positive other than my coworkers were great. It helped pay bills, but sadly not all of them. Really good benefits when it was a corporate center, not sure now that the DFW centers have been franchised.

Cons

It was an hourly position but they would routinely schedule you for 37 hours or less so you wouldn't get overtime. It doesn't seem like much, but 3 hours per weeks adds up!! Bills got tight! Upper management never had good communication with the independent Centers. I know they were recently franchised and I hope this has gotten better. Hired people with Kinesiology, Nutrition, and other health related degrees but had such a specified program that I couldn't use any of my skill set to assist customers. Got bonuses SOMETIMES but goals were set so high that it was basically unattainable. Also, I had no idea this counseling job would be 80% sales!! My training had zero information about nutrition and health and all to do with sales!! We spent only one day on counseling strategies.

Advice to Management

Take more pride in your centers!! People at the distribution centers in MD and Texas seem like they like their job. Why do you leave your counselors in misery?? Prepare a counselor for a SALES JOB. Not a counseling job. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into when I took this position out of college.

"stinks"

Former Employee - Center Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a full time job

Cons

care about nothing but money, dishonest

Advice to Management

get out of the weight loss industry, it is obvious you are only in it for the money

"Center Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

Ability to experience the weight-loss journey with clients. Interactions with clients and potential customers. Developing rapport and camaraderie with the counselors. Learning more about nutrition as a result of a position in a weight loss center.

Cons

The centers opened in my location were all franchised centers as I understand a number of them currently are. These particular centers were franchised by a group who previously franchised another weight loss group (LA Weightloss) prior in my area, and they used similar dated marketing tactics to try to bring in customers. This resulted in poor coverage of the area and few calls from potential clients.

In addition, there was a quick sense of competition developed in the counselors by the regional manager, who made it clear our jobs were to bring in customers at all costs. The campaigns we were sent out to help bring in awareness of our business were absurd. The regional manager had no actual empathy for customers but had a fake, pithy ability to suck in people who had no business coming to Medifast. The people who owned the franchise made a point of stating they expected a large number of return customers from the LA Weightloss days, which dropped any and all confidence I had in either product's maintenance of weight loss.

Finally, I lost a job there for no other reason than not conforming to everyone else. The regional manager "let me go" because I didn't dote on her every idea like every other girl in the place. As a business major who has worked in several start-ups, this model is ridiculous. Hiring women with virtually no background in nutrition to "mold" them into nutrition counselors and have them tell overweight clients how to eat and how to handle any issue that arises from foods they aren't fully aware of is absurd.

It's no surprise this franchise shut its doors less than a year after they opened in my area.

Advice to Management

If Medifast wants to survive, hire actual nutrition majors who have a background in the field and know how to handle their clients delicately. Stop screwing around with franchisees who are only in it for the profit. Hire regional managers who know how to manage instead of people who do the same thing over and over without listening to other ideas and advice. Reevaluate the contents of the food on offer as most of the complaints center around the allergens: soy, dairy, etc. And teach your managers, counselors, and upper management to be more concerned for the well-being of the client and less concerned about how much they're making in commission. Most clients can see right through fake concern.

"Does not value employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

Great product that works!
    Makes a difference in the lives of others.
    Wonderful coworkers.

Cons

High pressure sales environment! The company was disorganized and was constantly going through changes. In the 3 years that I was there, I (and all of the staff in my region) received 4 pay cuts. Management constantly pressures the staff to sell more and lost sight of the real purpose of Medifast....to help people. The hours were horrible and inconsistent. There was very little employee appreciation.

Advice to Management

Value the customer and their health and quit raising prices on them. Value your employees. A "thank you" can go a long way.

"Very unprofessional environment with poor management"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Encinitas, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Encinitas, CA

I worked at Medifast part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits and the office is in a good location

Cons

The owner of this location is unprofessional and his demeanor is condescending. It seems that the company only cares about making a profit and doesn't care about their clientele.

Advice to Management

Follow the HR guidelines mandated by the state of California when dealing with employees. Take a workshop on how to treat people with dignity.