Medifast Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Medifast CEO Daniel Chard
Daniel Chard

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance here (in 16 reviews)

• Great atmosphere to work in, especially with the way we are helping people everyday (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was a bit rude and unprofessional (in 20 reviews)

• Combatting the Obesity Epidemic and improving peoples lives through weight loss is just so much smoke (in 13 reviews)

1. "Mmmmm"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great overtime is always offered
    Supervisors and people are jice

Cons

Get occurrences for everything even emergencies where you can't help but to leave.
    Constantly disrespected by customers

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Aventura, FL

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sorry, but I worked for Medifast when they were trying to build the brand in S. Florida. The brand never took off... most all the new centers closed... because there was no help with Corporate "Branding" in the S. Florida Market.

Cons

As a Sales Manager you rely on the help from Corporate to help with branding, especially in a new area. Pay is based on a base hourly wage, with promise of high sales volume and a percentage of that. NEVER got to the "sales income" level to ever get a commission.

Focus on the customers is not on the weight they are losing, but keeping them in the program, so they will buy the weekly food required for the weight loss.

Advice to Management

As a Sales Manager I had no support from Regional or Center Management. You lost great people because there was NO real support.

"Management is horrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good mission, nice office.

Cons

What looks like a relaxing atmosphere on the outside is actually a mess. HR needs to look into the C Suite more, some of the executives here are the most useless and least knowledgeable individuals about their own company. Very little organization amongst teams and when supervisors aren't around, it becomes clear how unhappy everyone is with their management and it turns departments against each other. Very HS. The channel conflicts between different divisions only worsen this. I would suspect that if upper management (C Suite) doesn't start to change or give their teams more benefits to sticking around, people are going to start leaving soon. There have been lots of changes in the organization recently but it has only made things worse.

Advice to Management

Learn to do your jobs instead of barking orders and laying people off when you realize things have gotten messy as a result of the fact that you are so removed from what's really going on within the company.

"Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

Decent Benefits; Great People; Mission to improve health is impressive

Cons

The channel conflict will continue to plague Medifast. E-team has incompetent members.

"Unfulfilled Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Public Company with the wherewithal to leverage excellence in a demanding but rewarding category.

Cons

Public Company that manages quarter to quarter in order to prop the stock price at the expense of long term growth. There is no raison d'être for this Company other than making a fast buck for the very few. Combatting the Obesity Epidemic and improving peoples lives through weight loss is just so much smoke.

Advice to Management

End blatant and damaging nepotism that drains your talent pool. Be courageous and do the right thing for the most people for the longest term. When we put our employees and customers on top, our shareholders eventually benefit (more than anyone).

"Running in circles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Onsite free gym membership and Medifast food, solid benefits.

Cons

Too many competing goals and confusing communication. Too much turnover at all levels leads to culture of chaos.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch of our core business as a Weight Management company. Clarify company's point of differentiation. Prioritize company and employee goals.

"Surprise closure of 34 centers"

Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The members were the best part of the job. Salary was decent for the work performed as a counselor.

Cons

Work hours were terrible. Split schedule, could never have 2 days off in a row. Skeleton crew working conditions meant major planning if you wanted to take a day off and they surprised us on a conference call with the closure of 34 centers (all corporate centers in the south east). On this call we were not allowed to ask any questions and were not told why or what we were supposed to tell our new and old members. To top that off corporate sent an email to the members 1 hour after our conference call, to tell them about the center closures. This led to the assumption that we knew about the closure and did not tell the members.
    We also had to constantly call members that obviously didn't want us to call them, this was done on a weekly basis. This company left a really bad taste in my mouth to say the least.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your employees and for your members.

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are a plus and are even offered to P/T workers

Cons

They have recently franchised a lot of the centers (all of Texas-that they decided to keep open) to a company in Mexico.

The "commission" everyone speaks of has been revamped and basically cut in half for all F/T workers. When hired, I was told the products, "sell themselves", but now I spend most of my days making cold calls to people who no longer visit the center.

Member visits have dropped due to lack of advertising (they went black for the month of October) and lack of "special offers". They expect the employees to compensate for this by making calls to expired and inactive members

Advice to Management

You should have been more honest with your employees when franchising your Weight Control Centers

"Small Company with Big Dreams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is good if your job does not require extensive work
    - Benefits are good
    - People are very open and willing to learn

Cons

- Pay is very dependent on your level; staff and below are not paid a decent wage
    - Management does not value the time and effort that staff put into their work, as pay is pretty low.
    - Advancement is unlikely due to the company being small and budget cuts

Advice to Management

- Provide work incentives to increase work morale
    - You can't expect people to stay long term if no appreciation is shown

"Roller-coaster ride to nowhere"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours, minimal overtime, holiday celebrations opportunity to meet others with similar concerns. Encourages healthy eating so the employees don't become the future customers.

Cons

Very much still a company full of nepotism with senior managers who haven't a clue about the weight loss industry, nor how expensive the product is. Too many employee turn-overs. Deluded into thinking that the product can be sold worldwide, much less in second world countries to the south and countries with populations smaller than California to the north.

Advice to Management

Sell, quit, or make up your minds! Should be concentrating on new products, not new "snacks" and in your home country. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Dump the PYRAMID SCHEME and get back to the core values!