Meditech Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
Cons
  • relatively low salary, strange retirement plan (profit sharing rather than 401K), no formal HR department (in 49 reviews)

• Low starting salary, can be small raises depending on the year, proprietary language (in 35 reviews)

1. "Great Place for a Career"

Current Employee - Code Monkey in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Code Monkey in Canton, MA

Pros

Meditech only promotes from within, giving all employees multiple advancement opportunities. The corporate culture supports keeping work balanced with family life. Almost all programming is done using their own languages. For those interested it presents the chance to work on the OS and tools not available elsewhere.

Benefits are designed to reward long term employees, not those already looking to hop to another job.

Meditech is very stable and has never had a layoff. The company maintains profitability even during economic downturns, ensure the security of your job.

Cons

Having to work with alot of entry level employees. Quality of newly promoted supervisors varies widely.

Advice to Management

Allow stock purchases by newer employees earlier. A new building in Florida would be a good thing.

2. "Your Career starts here!"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

Pros

Meditech is a great company. From the compensation to the benefits, this company does much to please it's employees. If you work hard it's rewarded year over year. This is the first company that i've worked for that i felt i really had a career at. The reason for that is because they only hire from within. Everyone who starts at MEDITECH starts at entry level. If they're looking for a senior programmer they hire one from the pool of programmers already working at MEDITECH. There's a yearly bonus every year, yes even in this economy. I would not trade this job for the world.

Cons

Currently my commute to work sucks. However, after 3 years at MEDITECH you're free to transfer to any group that needs help, and you're also able to work from other buildings temporarily or permenantly without leaving your group.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. I still believe this company has alot of untapped potential.

3. "A great place to start your career!"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Canton, MA

Pros

Flexibility. This is my first job out of college and I am shocked at how flexible my supervisor, manager, and director are. I am fortunate enough to have great bosses who treat me like a person, congratulate me when I do well, provide useful, constructive criticism, and realize that there is a life outside of MT.

The benefits are outstanding. 90% of health insurance is paid for and if you keep your eyes open, there are a lot of discounts you can get through the company to use for your personal life.

The atmosphere is relaxed and fun. I never dread coming into work because the people here are great. The half cubes allow you to chat with coworkers while you're working, the fountain drinks are free, the cafe food is very good, etc. There are so many little perks here that are often overlooked, but they make the experience here that much better.

Cons

I know there is a lot of fuss about the salary at MEDITECH, but when you factor in everything else the company does for you, it really isn't that bad. Health insurance is 90% paid for. You get cheap (and good) food at the cafe. If you travel, they throw you a stipend as a thanks. MEDITECH also gives away a nice holiday package, holds an annual picnic for employees, and of course, the bonus.

The only complaint I really have is having to work that extra 30 minutes at the end of the day. (The hours are 9-5:30) I don't get home until 6:30-6:45. It is a very minor gripe, though.

Advice to Management

Be flexible and ask us (the new generation coming in) for input. Technology has changed so much in the past few years, and while recent college grads obviously lack experience in the professional world, there is a lot we can suggest in order to improve the working experience here.

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Boston, MA

Pros

They reward the long term employee. They offer a flexible work schedule and you don't "take your job home with you" at night when you leave. The work/life balance is great!

Cons

The commute can be tough at times but who doesn't have a tough commute living south of the city (or north for that matter!) The salary is good but could be better.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the people working for you and what they are bringing to the table everyday.

6. "One of a kind job!"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Norwood, MA

Pros

For those that have ever had any job experience, you will be able to appreciate working for a company where you are respected, appreciated, and treated well. They have old fashioned values that are rarely seen in the world today, and it is a company that you can work at, for your entire career, rather than jumping from job to job looking for more. Just like anything in life, when you have put in your time and effort, you are rewarded. The rewards are flexible hours, profit sharing, telecommuting, more vacation time, as well as advancement opportunities, stock purchasing, and job security. The work environment is relaxed, and all of the buildings are beautiful. The cafeteria's are run by the same caterer, the food is great, and is subsidized by the company. I should also mention all drinks are free, and soda in the machines is just 5 cents. The company prides itself on the importance of family, and works with employees to create a good balance. There are three main events in the year, that make this an incredible place to work. The company picnic, the Holiday party, and year end bonus. The company picnic is like nothing you will ever see at another company as long as you live. It has puppet shows, magic show, pirate ship, horeback rides, food, rides, and drinks, as well as gifts. During the holidays, they give all employees a ham, turkey or lasagna, and have a Holiday party that has an unbelievable array of food. The year end bonus is the most anticipated day of the year, and is very exciting. When the employees do their job well, the company does well, and it will show in the bonus. It is a great incentive program!
    Even as a new employee, the benefits are extremely generous as compared to other companies. I have watched many young employees quit, to work for hospitals, and more money, only to find they are at the mercy of the hospital budget. They are often the first to be laid off, as they are non essential employees. For those that take this as a first job, and see the salary as the only thing of importance, I guess they will need to learn the lesson for themselves. As you get older, your priorities will change, and a company that values the importance of life outside of work will have great meaning. The relationships you will form with long term coworkers, and the respect of a company that holds it's employees in such high regard, will become priceless.
    As a company using proprietary languages, it is not feasible to pay a new employee top dollar just to get them in the door, when they realistically won't become productive for several years. Once they are productive, the salary will increase quickly.

Cons

The salaries should be raised somewhat, to adjust for the cost of living over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Provide more continuous training to employees, as technology changes.

7. "A Career not just a Job"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Company
    Friendly atmosphere
    Great benefits
    Lot of opportunity for growth

Cons

Salary below average in field.

Advice to Management

Offer flex hours 7-3:30, 8-4:30 10-6:30 etc.
    Throw out the phone system. Are we a technology company? Hospitals are not inpressed when they visit and see our phones.

8. "just started but love it so far."

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great buildings and facilities, friendly and supportive culture.
    Great opportunity for career building.
    Lots of opportunities for advancement.
    Flexibility and great benefits for all employees.

Cons

Going through company software changes, little hectic transition period.
    Experience varies depending on your group, all groups have different subcultures. For example some supervisors will allow their team to wear jeans, while others expect a more strict dress code. another example is varied flexibility and rules.

"Not just a starter company."

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I used the title "not just a started company" to make the point that Meditech is so much more. In an age where job hopping seems to be the only way to advance your career, Meditech is a diamond in the rough. There are very few companies today that have any type of structure that would allow an individual to build a lifelong career with advancement of their choice (management, senior developers, sales, etc.) But that's that not only reason Meditech is a great place to work.....

1. Great people from entry level to senior management!
    2. Great benefits - I pay under $125 for BCBS Family Health and Dental - unheard of! Awesome yearly bonus. Stock options that continue to pay impressive dividends even during economic crisis.
    3. Amazing work environments - You don't appreciate a large, bright workstation with a chair that supports your back until you don't have it. It's like running water, you always need it but don't always appreciate it.
    4. JOB SECURITY! Let me say it again JOB SECURITY! Meditech has a reputation for not taking resignations well. That's because they would never just up and fire an employee. If someone is not performing to the best of their ability Meditech works with that person to find a position that better meets their skill set. If someone is unhappy with their current position they are encouraged and assisted in searching for other opportunities in the company. Don't fire us and we won't fire you is the motto. So of course it does not feel good to upper management when employees leave with no prior mention of needing more or being unhappy. I have been at the company for 20+ years and in my tenure there has never been a layoff. What company can make that claim?
    5. The company really does care about their employees. Without getting too personal or offering examples from others, I can speak from experience when I say that if you have a family emergency, a health issue or any personal hardship, Meditech will go to the limit to support you. When I tell people of my personal experience in this I always get the same response which is there are very few companies that treat their employees with such support and understanding.

Cons

The salaries can start on the low side and it can seem like it takes a while to get up to a competitive paycheck. That being said, hard work is rewarded with big jumps in salary in the early years. Taking into consideration that Meditech hires people with little or no previous related experience this seems like the logical approach. Also people sometimes only look at the paycheck in terms of salary. All factors need to be considered. The low cost healthcare puts more dollars in your pocket each month. Over time bonus and dividends yield significant yearly and quarterly income. If you add it all up in the end you make a very competitive salary at a company that cares about their employees.

10. "Hard to find a company like this any more"

Current Employee - Development Programmer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security - they have never laid off an employee, in over 40 years of doing business as a software company. That's a big deal.
    90% paid benefits - Better than most other options out there, they pay 90% of your benefits, so you're not losing a lot in your check for that.
    Management understands what it's like to do your job - even the CEO of the company started out, in the company, as a programmer. Upper management all understands what it's like to be on the front lines of this company, because they've been there. That helps in putting things in perspective.
    Excellent employees get big raises quickly - if you work hard, show aptitude, and succeed, between salary raises and the bonus (see below), you could double your income inside of five years with the company.
    Yearly bonus - An annual bonus based on the performance of the company is given out, based on a percentage of your last five years' salary. This has even happened during the economic crisis.
    Ability to buy well-performing stock in a solid company - after a few years with the company, you get the option to buy stock. This stock has historically performed exceedingly well.
    Great work/life balance - supervisors and managers understand that employees have lives outside of work. This does not mean that you'll never be asked to work overtime - but it is something that they try to avoid unless necessary.

Cons

Low starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid entry level.
    Takes time for title advancement - some companies will give you a 'senior' title after a couple of years. This takes a longer time, and some actual achievement, to earn at Meditech.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and maintain focus on remaining competitive in the market.

11. "Solid company that's never had lay-offs."

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MEDITECH is a fiscally responsible employer.

Cons

Pay is slightly lower than the industry average