Meditech Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
Cons
  • relatively low salary, strange retirement plan (profit sharing rather than 401K), no formal HR department (in 49 reviews)

• Low starting salary, can be small raises depending on the year, proprietary language (in 35 reviews)

"Worst company I ever worked for, they only employ for long the otherwise unemployable."

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

Pros

5 cent soda, good food that you are not allowed time to eat.

The caf is good but they encourage you to eat at your desk.

Cons

The worst company I ever worked for, I quit during training period.
    The turnover is unbelievable, the owner made his own method to calculate employee turnover that does not count people that quit before working a full year. Pay is a joke, I was the highest paid recruit in my class by far and still quit. They track your every move as you must sign in every time you change areas. The product is in the stone ages. There is little upward movement and managers make half of their pay recruiting new people.
    The owner will not let you use real office software, as he insists that this is a "software company" and makes you use in house developed word processing and other programs that are straight out of the 1980's and cause many hours of extra work.
    They will not let you use any sick days, they say that is your "long term disability".

I heard that they offer as low as 24K a year to start, they make you travel 2 weeks of the year for that slave wage.

The owner forces employees to buy private company stock, he lost most of that money investing in real estate.

Advice to Management

Stop being a yes man-women, the company is a joke.

"Worst job I ever had!"

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

Pros

This is a good place to meet new friends, that's about it. Use this job as a stepping stone to get into an IS Analyst job where you will make WAY more money.

Cons

- Salary (starting pay is 24k no matter how much you made in your last job)
    - Managament treats people aweful. I was yelled at many times there and I was a good employee - I make 8 times the salary I made at Meditech now.
    - Work environement is loud. Especially if you sit next to someone who is loud.
    - Your calls get taped and emails read. You feel like you are being watched 24 hours a day
    - You have to write standard letters, you can't make anything personal, even with your customers

Advice to Management

Train your employees better. They still can't answer simple questions during training classes. Treat your employees like you care that they are there, even though we know you don't. Say "Hello" to them! It makes a big difference if an employee knows they are liked by upper management. Get rid of some old timers and bring in new people from good companies to help you. These old timers are holding the company back. PAY your employees at least a starting salary of 37k or more. Anything else is horrible! Now as a customer I can see nothing has changed there!

"Awful place to work!"

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance is very good, other than that nothing!

Cons

Everything, they treat you like a child. They say the environment is family friendly until you need something family related, then they say no. PAY PAY PAY!!! They start you ridiculously low and they expect you to kill yourself for minimal pay.

Advice to Management

Raise your salary minimum as it is terrible an impossible to live off of.

"Two Words, Bad Company"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good with this company is the health insurance as well as the cafeteria. The kitchen staff are exceptional guys.

Cons

After the first two months, they throw you under the bus, practically setting you up to fail. The turnover rate is quite incredible. At least 5 people in the company leave each month, which doesn't look good in a potential applicant's eyes. They don't get fire, they quit. Meditech doesn't want to pay for unemployment, so they do everything they can to get the current employees to quit, therefore not being eligible for unemployment.

By working here for over a year, I've seen many ways in how they try to get employees to quit:

- Low salary
      - No raise (said they can't afford raises, meanwhile, they can afford a multi-million dollar picnic)
      - Set you up to fail, big time
      - Supervisors/managers don't provide much help (if you ask a question, they look at you like you're an idiot)

I heard this exact story from many others before I started, and now I completely understand what they were saying. Do yourself a favor, if you're not working and currently receiving unemployment, don't throw it away by working for this disgraceful company. If you work at Meditech, you'll have to deal with the younger, twenty year old "children" that still believe they're in college. Meditech should think about hiring more mature staff and not idiots that just came out of a frat house. Also Meditech should think about upgrading their system and appliances (phones, printers, etc.) because they are a bit on the older side. I can't tell you how many times the system crashed on me or how often the internet connection goes down. It's quite embarrassing, getting a call from a customer asking for help and me having to say "Oh I apologize, but I can't help right now as our internet connection is down." You think the customer feels comfortable knowing they just purchased a very expensive piece of software and hear the Meditech Support Specialist saying we can't help because they can't maintain their internet connection? I sure don't think they'd feel comfortable. I for one, would want to give the software back, get refunded and use something else.

So please don't apply for a job here because one year later, you may be saying the exact same thing I'm saying.

Advice to Management

I strongly recommend that upper management start to see the light and hire much more experienced supervisors to lead the way for the specialists. This whole business of promoting from within is good, but also very bad. Bad in the sense of these employees having no idea how to supervise. Just because they know the software, doesn't mean they know how to supervise. Two completely different things. Also, I think you should think about nixing the company picnic and give us some raises. I think we, the specialists are the most deserving of raises because we are the ones interacting with the customers, taking the blame for other employees mistakes, and because we work incredibly hard and feel that we have nothing to show for it. Give us what we want and we'll work even harder.

"Low initial pay, No real performance reviews, very little movement up their ladder"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Job Security (for now) Hospital IT field has many more HIS in play.
    - Opens door for work within hospitals

Cons

- Supervisors aren't required to know their APPLICATION/Modules, making it hard for them to help their staff.

- They do not fire the people that hold groups down, and those same people get the same raises

- Starting Pay

- Don't rehire ex-workers that leave on good terms. Those workers know the systems.

- Training can take 1 year, but should take much less.

- Disproportion of work among teams, groups, modules.

Advice to Management

I gave a two week notice, and on that very same day they literally told me to write a letter of resignation, and then they proceeded to walk me out the door. This is after 3 years of work and not 1 bad performance review. That is no way to treat someone who put in time and effort to help customers.

Management, stop using the motto "At least you have a Job" . Many occasions suggestions to better groups were shot down because they did not fit the mold of Meditech's old ways, and I would hear from managers and supervisors "At least you have a Job".

Meditech is consistently losing its best employees to other companies or hospitals. They should focus on wow to get those employees back or why they left, instead of hiring College Grads at low wages with no experience.

7. "People are horrible."

I worked at Meditech (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros at all at this place.

Cons

90% of the people who work at Meditech are young, stupid, careless and THIEVES! There is absolutely no way that I would recommend anyone go work there if they have any common sense. The people who are supposed to be setting examples are the worst! No respect for the cafeteria staff, think they can steal what they want and threaten you if you say you are going to report on them. Absolutely despicable people!

8. "Mostly nice coworkers, yet unqualified management and outdated values/culture and lack of any future direction."

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young and vibrant coworkers; free sodas; year end bonus; low health insurance premium; Christmas gift

Cons

VERY low salary for this area; inflexibility; mundane nature of the majority of the work; promotions based off of "loyalty" and bureaucracy; no compensation or recognition for advanced schooling or additional knowledge/skills learned during tenure (eg., I earned a Masters degree while working their, and continued to be compensated as much as those with high school diplomas)

Advice to Management

While a lot of the perks are nice, they are evenly distributed to all employees, leaving no real incentive to put in extra time or effort, as you will not be rewarded for it. I would pay attention to recruiting and retaining superior employees, and compensating them appropriately early, rather than hoping that they stay around long enough to receive adequate compensation. Turnover here is ridiculous, and I feel like it all starts with providing employees with an appropriate salary from the outset, and allowing greater flexibility. This would likely attract and keep better employees here for the long term.

"Best viewed as a paid internship to people fresh out of college"

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good opportunity for recent graduates. The best way to think of Meditech is as a paid internship, stick around for a year or two, and then find another job. Buffalo chicken week was the highlight of my employment.

Cons

The compensation is easily half what you could be making elsewhere in the industry. Since leaving the company I've more than tripled my salary, and look forward to going into work each day. The morale within our division was quiet low, nearly everyone who I became friends with when I first started either left in the months before I did, or soon after I left. That kind of environment wouldn't make anyone want to stay for long.

"Revolving Door with Very Low Pay"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health & Dental coverage is good, Bonus structure can be decent if you stick around a long time. Job security is very high.

Cons

Meditech hires directly from colleges offering jobs to those who don't have any comparison for compensation, which is insultingly low. People come and work for 1 to 2 years and move on meaning most people do not have the best working knowledge because they are new. It is hard to keep people in a company that seems to be so out of touch with going pay rates.

Advice to Management

Instead of bringing in new graduates every year who need to be trained from the ground up, offer better pay to your knowledgeable staff and they will be more likely to stay, this will improve customer service and overall customer satisfaction of staff that has insight on the software. People leave for a reason.

"This place sucks"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing is good about this company

Cons

worst company to ever work for. no vision. no future.

Advice to Management

Go to hell