Medpace Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Medpace President and CEO August Troendle
August Troendle

Pros
  • Great perks like free lunch (mostly salad), free fitness classes, on-site gym, flex time, casual dress (in 39 reviews)

• The company has a good work life balance and both upper management and line management are very approachable and understanding of personal issues (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't care about employees (in 13 reviews)

• Some managers micromanage, and wages are not always industry standard (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing company"

Current Employee - Data Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Data Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great perks like free lunch (mostly salad), free fitness classes, on-site gym, flex time, casual dress. Company is working on standardizing training as they grow quickly. Can advance quickly if you put the work in.

Cons

Atmosphere depends greatly on your supervisor. Some managers are not great people supervisors and need more training. Benefits are a bit expensive.

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - CRA in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - CRA in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CRA position allows you to work from home and travel the country. CRA bonus promotes more travel as well.

Cons

Potentially some down time after CRA training and getting assigned a study. I feel it's based on luck really.

It seems that your opportunity to excel in the CRA role is dependant upon your manager and their opinion of you. With that being said, a good work ethic, being transparent and open to criticism will allow you to grow.

3. "Solid First Job"

Current Employee - Senior Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility, independence, casual dress, free lunch

Cons

managers are overworked and dont have much time to invest in younger employees. teams are isolated.

Advice to Management

more transparency between departments

"Unprofessional HR Support"

Current Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible schedule

Cons

Manipulation, gossip, liberal environment, low pay, outrageously expensive benefits, HR group is a joke (it's a bunch of fresh young kids right out of college, who arent knowledgeable.

Advice to Management

Who am I supposed to talk to if my manager refers me to HR, and then my HR guy doesn't even know what he's talking about? Odd.

6. "Senior Intern, Data Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are Flexible with hours.

Cons

There pay is not the best.

7. "Great People"

I have been working at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedule !

Cons

Can't work from home, everyday in office

"Short-term great, long-term not"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

This is a great company for those with little to no experience as a CRA because Medpace provides a very rigorous and detailed training period, which lasts for 6 months. During that time, you will mock all different types of visits you will perform, have the opportunity to utilize your experienced co-workers, and go on training trips to shadow other CRAs. The Dallas office is very laid back and everyone feels very comfortable approaching each other with work questions, which is a very important part about this job. The wear is business casual when in the office and business professional on-site. The average CRA age is probably around 25 years old, so you get a healthy mix of young and intelligent professionals that are also social.

The traveling is a HUGE bonus, some people say that their personal life is compromised, but I disagree. I think there are times where I definitely miss home but those are few and far between. I've traveled many places around the US, get to stay in beautiful resorts, eat at 5 star restaurants, and enjoy the city I'm in. It's still a ton of work while traveling, so make the best of it and enjoy your open evenings out in the city.

There is a compensation system in place which is actually hugely beneficial, some CRAs will pull in 20-30k extra to year but this will not be implemented until around 2 years after you join due to the time you take to train and the time needed to build up your experience.

Cons

Recently, Medpace has undergone a change where all CRAs under 47k are moved to hourly, which means there are no more sick days and there is NO PAID OVERTIME. If you're training or monitoring, you are definitely surpassing the 40 hours a week, but you will not at all be compensated for that. This is a recent change that many people are upset, but things are still being figured out so hopefully there is some good that comes out of this change.

If you mess up once, you're out. This can be both a good and bad thing. I personally see it as good because it keeps me on my toes and reminds me that though my job is mentally stimulating, interesting, and important, there is someone just as experienced ready to take my place. Though, most people see this as bad because obviously mistakes happen, reports get turned in late, mocks don't go well etc. It is very "easy" to get fired in training, but if you can make it out, you're golden.

The turnover rate for this job is absolutely ridiculous. Medpace pays almost half what other CROs pay and they don't seem to really care, it just means that once you feel you're important and trained enough to earn more, you're forced to quit or accept always having a below industry salary. Typically, people leave once they become CRA IIIs because the company aims to only pay you 60,000 annually (they'll bring up the annual comps but every company has that) while you can just quit with enough experience and immediately double your pay elsewhere. It seems the company keeps the pay low because it means not many people climb up to leadership positions, so those people seem to stay there and nothing new is implemented in the company.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice would obviously be to pay more. There are people with PhDs that make under 50K (as in, almost none make over that as CRA II or under which is absolutely ridiculous). I would suggest focusing on keeping employees for the long term and not so that you can keep them for as long and cheap as possible and then give them no option but to leave whenever they realize they deserve more.

"Great place to start out"

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a statistical analyst you will gain substantial experience if you're starting out with no knowledge of CDISC standards or clinical trials. From my experience, my supervisors took care to introduce me gradually to more complicated study designs and analyses and balancing the work to be challenging yet not so overwhelming I couldn't handle it.

Cons

The only cons I can say are about Medpace as an employer in general. We are growing rapidly and do not have the space to hold everyone. More importantly, they are making changes that only save them money. They changed health insurance during my time here and it is a nightmare to look for health care. For young professionals, this is a great stepping stone if you can handle the long hours to meet sponsor deadlines, but if you want to move up or even start a family, best to move on somewhere else to get paid what you're worth and not withstand the heavy imbalance in workload and pay compared to industry standards

Advice to Management

Medpace - treat your employees better. Don't go the cheapest route. Improve HR and incorporate a more structured and productive and less tedious training program. Maybe even help with tuition if an employee wants to advance themselves within the company but can't because of their degree or lack thereof.

"OK place to start, except for low pay + non-competition agreement"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch. Will hire you with zero experience. High gender equality. Nice and smart co-workers.

Cons

Hire people with zero experience.
    Lots of responsibility at low pay.
    Minimal growth opportunity.
    Not enough parking for all employees.
    Just got rid of sick time off.
    Non-competition agreements for entry level and hourly employees is unethical and a way to keep wages low.

Advice to Management

Create growth plans to keep top ranked employees in the company instead of seeking outside positions to grow in their careers.

"Place to start"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, somewhat flexible schedule depending on your manager, vacation time

Cons

Management does not help you develop new skills or care about your career path. Difficult to get promoted or a raise.

Advice to Management

Invest in your current employees so they want to stay