Medpace Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 26, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Medpace President and CEO August Troendle
August Troendle

Pros
  • Great perks like free lunch (mostly salad), free fitness classes, on-site gym, flex time, casual dress (in 37 reviews)

• The company has a good work life balance and both upper management and line management are very approachable and understanding of personal issues (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't care about employees (in 13 reviews)

• Some managers micromanage, and wages are not always industry standard (in 9 reviews)

1. "It's okay."

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Free lunch
    Wear jeans every day

Cons

Not a huge push to move up or learn more within the company
    Don't feel valued as an employee

"Worsening work environment"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provided a place to start my career and finish my masters

Cons

Too fast-paced and high-demand for the salary

"CRA"

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Great training program for employees that are new to clinical research.

Cons

High turnover rate for clinical monitoring positions.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage and trust employees to perform well.

5. "Good"

Former Employee - CRA
    Former Employee - CRA

I worked at Medpace (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, good perks and good people

Cons

learning curve, growth opportunities and

Advice to Management

None

"Data department"

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, majority of people you meet are very friendly. Work load is fair, not too overloaded. Free gym, food trucks come about twice a week, free good food once in a while.

Cons

Poor upper management decisions, took away everyone's cubes for a bigger cube shared with another employee(to save space, but it really doesn't), not enough parking, free salad bar gets boring after a month.

"Short-term great, long-term not"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

This is a great company for those with little to no experience as a CRA because Medpace provides a very rigorous and detailed training period, which lasts for 6 months. During that time, you will mock all different types of visits you will perform, have the opportunity to utilize your experienced co-workers, and go on training trips to shadow other CRAs. The Dallas office is very laid back and everyone feels very comfortable approaching each other with work questions, which is a very important part about this job. The wear is business casual when in the office and business professional on-site. The average CRA age is probably around 25 years old, so you get a healthy mix of young and intelligent professionals that are also social.

The traveling is a HUGE bonus, some people say that their personal life is compromised, but I disagree. I think there are times where I definitely miss home but those are few and far between. I've traveled many places around the US, get to stay in beautiful resorts, eat at 5 star restaurants, and enjoy the city I'm in. It's still a ton of work while traveling, so make the best of it and enjoy your open evenings out in the city.

There is a compensation system in place which is actually hugely beneficial, some CRAs will pull in 20-30k extra to year but this will not be implemented until around 2 years after you join due to the time you take to train and the time needed to build up your experience.

Cons

Recently, Medpace has undergone a change where all CRAs under 47k are moved to hourly, which means there are no more sick days and there is NO PAID OVERTIME. If you're training or monitoring, you are definitely surpassing the 40 hours a week, but you will not at all be compensated for that. This is a recent change that many people are upset, but things are still being figured out so hopefully there is some good that comes out of this change.

If you mess up once, you're out. This can be both a good and bad thing. I personally see it as good because it keeps me on my toes and reminds me that though my job is mentally stimulating, interesting, and important, there is someone just as experienced ready to take my place. Though, most people see this as bad because obviously mistakes happen, reports get turned in late, mocks don't go well etc. It is very "easy" to get fired in training, but if you can make it out, you're golden.

The turnover rate for this job is absolutely ridiculous. Medpace pays almost half what other CROs pay and they don't seem to really care, it just means that once you feel you're important and trained enough to earn more, you're forced to quit or accept always having a below industry salary. Typically, people leave once they become CRA IIIs because the company aims to only pay you 60,000 annually (they'll bring up the annual comps but every company has that) while you can just quit with enough experience and immediately double your pay elsewhere. It seems the company keeps the pay low because it means not many people climb up to leadership positions, so those people seem to stay there and nothing new is implemented in the company.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice would obviously be to pay more. There are people with PhDs that make under 50K (as in, almost none make over that as CRA II or under which is absolutely ridiculous). I would suggest focusing on keeping employees for the long term and not so that you can keep them for as long and cheap as possible and then give them no option but to leave whenever they realize they deserve more.

"Great place to start out"

Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a statistical analyst you will gain substantial experience if you're starting out with no knowledge of CDISC standards or clinical trials. From my experience, my supervisors took care to introduce me gradually to more complicated study designs and analyses and balancing the work to be challenging yet not so overwhelming I couldn't handle it.

Cons

The only cons I can say are about Medpace as an employer in general. We are growing rapidly and do not have the space to hold everyone. More importantly, they are making changes that only save them money. They changed health insurance during my time here and it is a nightmare to look for health care. For young professionals, this is a great stepping stone if you can handle the long hours to meet sponsor deadlines, but if you want to move up or even start a family, best to move on somewhere else to get paid what you're worth and not withstand the heavy imbalance in workload and pay compared to industry standards

Advice to Management

Medpace - treat your employees better. Don't go the cheapest route. Improve HR and incorporate a more structured and productive and less tedious training program. Maybe even help with tuition if an employee wants to advance themselves within the company but can't because of their degree or lack thereof.

"Place to start"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, somewhat flexible schedule depending on your manager, vacation time

Cons

Management does not help you develop new skills or care about your career path. Difficult to get promoted or a raise.

Advice to Management

Invest in your current employees so they want to stay

10. "Project Coordinator"

Pros

Variety, good management, learning capabilities

Cons

Pay, slowly move up the ladder

"CRA"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Great for getting into the industry if you have no previous experience. The training program is nice and does prepare you well for the job. The Cincinnati office if beautiful with spacious cubicles, free lunch ( usually just a salad bar), onsite gym and free workout classes. Younger demographic for new hire CRAs which makes forming friendships with coworkers a lot easier. Overall I would recommend this to someone trying to break into the industry, but if you have 3+ years of experience I would look somewhere else.

Cons

Can be very "clicky" especially with CRA managers and upper management. Many promotions/opportunities were given to less qualified Employees because they weren't BFF with their manager. The work load and travel can be overwhelming. There are CRAs who are working 70+ hours a week and fell like they are drowning while lots of CRAs sit in office without much to do. There needs to be more attention to work distribution and not just saying to the overworked CRA "there are highs and lows and this is just a high so deal with it." This is not just the CRA manager's way of thinking, even the CEO responded in a similar way to a CRA saying how she traveled on Sunday's and didn't get home till after midnight on Friday, he essentially said "that's the job so if you don't like it quit!" Ha great way to respond to your employees legitimate concerns. The company will continue to lose great CRAs due to the workload if nothing changes. Starting salary for a CRA is well below standard but once you get to 1.5-2year with the company you will earn closer to that standard.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees when they say they are overwhelmed. Don't just say it is out of your hands and it will slow down eventually. Bring on more CRAs to studies to help distribute site load. Be more consistent with managing CRAs across managers and base promotions/opportunities on actual qualifications and not just who you like best. To the CEO, show that you care more about your employees work/life balance and actually come up with ways to remedy the issue. No one wants to work for someone who doesn't care about their employees. If nothing changes CRAs will continue to leave for better companies, leaving Medpace with nothing but inexperienced CRAs to do the work.