Medpace Reviews | Glassdoor

Medpace Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free Lunch is provided everyday (in 51 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good work/life balance and a positive atmosphere (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not value newer employees or those lower on the totem pole (in 13 reviews)

• Some managers micromanage, and wages are not always industry standard (in 9 reviews)

"Best laid plans go awry......"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Medpace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free food provided for lunch everyday. I believe intentions were good in the beginning but greed and the true hollowness of the CEO and his minions took over.

Cons

Too many to convey here...just read some of the other reviews and you'll get the picture. All are true. And if you are one of the favored ones, it's just a matter of time before the ax will fall in some sort of way. A week, a month, a year, or after several years.

For the minority individuals that come in there to interview for the clinical trials, the white personnel and doctors regard you with disgust. They need the trials to be racially balanced, and advertise for your participation, but they don't see you as a human being, but just a poor, black, ignorant person. This organization is headed by a racist bunch of white elitist where their only motive is money. They do nothing for the surrounding community unless it's to benefit their bottom line. I was at one of the "state of the company" meetings where an employee suggested we sponsor a back to school campaign for the students at JP Parker school, which is right across the street from MP. He said no, if you want to donate your time and money fine but this organization won't be involved.

Advice to Management

Nothing you can say to them that will matter. It's the big white hook-up. They find positions for their family members, friends, neighbors, colleagues. Most of them are totally incompetent for their positions. There's even a senior executive who is a sexual deviant, arrested several times, who works there after being fired from UC. He's someones buddy or relative. It's the private sector and they do what they want. However, at some point in time all their true colors will be revealed to the public.

"Circus of Sad Clowns..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free salad. Casual dress code. A few good co-workers to share in your misery.

Cons

Unprofessional environment is being kind. The best and the brightest leave at the first opportunity once they realize they've been deceived. Pathetically underpaid for the amount of work heaped upon you...with little training I must add. The health insurance is sky high, and raises and bonus's are minuscule. Accountability is not in anyone's vocabulary, considering everyone blames the other departments. Nepotism is rampant, and the disrespect I encountered on a daily basis is surreal. Overall it is filled with incompetent, narrow minded, culturally insensitive people that are devoid of any form of understanding of what it means to work together and strive for one goal. That goal being to work their hardest together to improve the lives of the patients.

Advice to Management

It all falls on deaf ears...good luck.

"Medpace CRA"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Medpace full-time

Pros

Great training program and many young professionals.

Cons

Medpace continues to hire new CRAs while their current CRAs sit at their desks for months waiting to be assigned a study. If you are someone who likes to sit at a desk day after day while trying to find things to do to fill your time (management suggests going back through training because they have nothing else to preoccupy you), then this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and start utilizing the employees you have already hired and invested training into. When I started here Medpace had a 4 star rating on Glassdoor, now they have 2.5.

"Unprofessional HR Support"

Current Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible schedule

Cons

Manipulation, gossip, liberal environment, low pay, outrageously expensive benefits, HR group is a joke (it's a bunch of fresh young kids right out of college, who arent knowledgeable.

Advice to Management

Who am I supposed to talk to if my manager refers me to HR, and then my HR guy doesn't even know what he's talking about? Odd.

"Project Manager"

I worked at Medpace full-time

Pros

I cannot think of any. The morale and the working climate are so oppressive-its immediately palpable on the first day! Don't take a job there. They are hiring so many people so fast and people are quitting and getting fired so fast!

Cons

The leadership are only interested in themselves. They will say absolutely anything to a potential customer/sponsor to get business. They routinely take on projects they have no expertise in just to make a profit. They do not have the software resources necessary to execute projects properly. My department used third party, free software from the internet to produce data for some of the projects. All of this is carefully covered so as not to be discovered on an audit.

Advice to Management

Stop destroying careers.

6. "Senior Intern, Data Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are Flexible with hours.

Cons

There pay is not the best.

"Be cautious"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Medpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An opportunity to be trained for a CRO career.

Cons

15 people quit from the Dallas office in the month of February 2017, beware of applying to this company

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

"Watch your back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Medpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, free lunch (for now)

Cons

Watch your back here- the company apparently feels no loyalty to employees. After several years of good performance reviews, I was fired ("for performance issues") with zero warning and zero explanation!

In addition, they are hiring a ton of people, to the point where they're running out of desks, and parking is an absolute nightmare unless you get there before 8:00am.

They also prefer to give bonuses rather than raises, but some years bonuses just aren't paid out. In years that they are, members of a given team are in direct competition with one another for bonuses.

9. "Great People"

Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Medpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedule !

Cons

Can't work from home, everyday in office

"Short-term great, long-term not"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Medpace full-time

Pros

This is a great company for those with little to no experience as a CRA because Medpace provides a very rigorous and detailed training period, which lasts for 6 months. During that time, you will mock all different types of visits you will perform, have the opportunity to utilize your experienced co-workers, and go on training trips to shadow other CRAs. The Dallas office is very laid back and everyone feels very comfortable approaching each other with work questions, which is a very important part about this job. The wear is business casual when in the office and business professional on-site. The average CRA age is probably around 25 years old, so you get a healthy mix of young and intelligent professionals that are also social.

The traveling is a HUGE bonus, some people say that their personal life is compromised, but I disagree. I think there are times where I definitely miss home but those are few and far between. I've traveled many places around the US, get to stay in beautiful resorts, eat at 5 star restaurants, and enjoy the city I'm in. It's still a ton of work while traveling, so make the best of it and enjoy your open evenings out in the city.

There is a compensation system in place which is actually hugely beneficial, some CRAs will pull in 20-30k extra to year but this will not be implemented until around 2 years after you join due to the time you take to train and the time needed to build up your experience.

Cons

Recently, Medpace has undergone a change where all CRAs under 47k are moved to hourly, which means there are no more sick days and there is NO PAID OVERTIME. If you're training or monitoring, you are definitely surpassing the 40 hours a week, but you will not at all be compensated for that. This is a recent change that many people are upset, but things are still being figured out so hopefully there is some good that comes out of this change.

If you mess up once, you're out. This can be both a good and bad thing. I personally see it as good because it keeps me on my toes and reminds me that though my job is mentally stimulating, interesting, and important, there is someone just as experienced ready to take my place. Though, most people see this as bad because obviously mistakes happen, reports get turned in late, mocks don't go well etc. It is very "easy" to get fired in training, but if you can make it out, you're golden.

The turnover rate for this job is absolutely ridiculous. Medpace pays almost half what other CROs pay and they don't seem to really care, it just means that once you feel you're important and trained enough to earn more, you're forced to quit or accept always having a below industry salary. Typically, people leave once they become CRA IIIs because the company aims to only pay you 60,000 annually (they'll bring up the annual comps but every company has that) while you can just quit with enough experience and immediately double your pay elsewhere. It seems the company keeps the pay low because it means not many people climb up to leadership positions, so those people seem to stay there and nothing new is implemented in the company.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice would obviously be to pay more. There are people with PhDs that make under 50K (as in, almost none make over that as CRA II or under which is absolutely ridiculous). I would suggest focusing on keeping employees for the long term and not so that you can keep them for as long and cheap as possible and then give them no option but to leave whenever they realize they deserve more.