MeetMe Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New Hope, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in New Hope, PA

I have been working at MeetMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright, helpful and motivated people to work with
    Comfortable and fun office and environment
    Pantry full of free food, fridge full of free drinks, game room and beer
    We are given two days break from work every quarter to work on any project
    They do a great job at eliminating toxic management

Cons

I can't think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "don't work here"

Pros

good perks, free food, a decent amount of overtime available

Cons

This company proposes that they care about their employees but if you aren't a salaried employee you are just another number. You have to look at explicit material for the majority of the day and deal with terrible clientele. The management is nit picky and will write you up or counsel you for the smallest details, you're given an hourly quota for processing reports which continues to increase.

"Member Services isn't treated with the same respect as the rest of the company."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in New Hope, PA

I worked at MeetMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free snacks
    -Free lunches
    -Meet cool coworkers
    -Great benefits / time off / stock options
    -Cool office located in New Hope
    -Listen to Spotify or podcasts all day

Cons

I can only share the experiences of someone who worked within the Member Services department. I make this distinction because it is seemingly handled in a completely different way than the rest of the company. The schedules are different than the rest of the company, which makes for a serious disconnect with the way different departments interact. For example:

Member Services starts at 8am (SHARP.), while the rest of the company starts around 9, or a bit later. This would not be an issue, except for the multitude of times that we've been hit with snow storms, causing MeetMe employees to work from home. Many times, the "work from home" call has been made just shy of 8am, leaving Member Services people roughing it to work in snowy or icy conditions. This is completely unsafe and ridiculous, and comes off like a strange test of how much you care about your work and the company. Spoiler alert: I'm not risking my life to come to work. I once voiced my confusion with this policy while my supervisor joked about how he was sliding into oncoming traffic during his commute. This man had recently become a father.

While the rest of the company is able to make a "work from home" call on their own by simply contacting their respective manager, Member Services is unable to make that personal call. There is, however, the option to use your personal time to take the day off, but this was always met with overt passive aggression from Member Services management.

The work itself of Member Services is pretty rough, but show enough initiative, and you'll be transferred from deleting photos of stranger's genitals to writing police reports about the aforementioned genitals. This transfer does not come with a pay raise, though, so why assert yourself? I was performing upwards of a dozen tasks at one point, while others were still centered only on the two or three upon which they were originally trained. What kind of message does that send? Why would I assert myself, only to receive more difficult work without any sort of recognition in compensation? I spent many long nights pondering this fact, and I would not implore you to do the same. There is a void, and it will accept you into it.

There is absolutely no effort to counsel the people of Member Services regarding the disgusting and profane nature of the content at hand. Recently, there have been a few articles written about the longterm effects of content moderators, with some of them citing PTSD and other forms of anxiety, as a result of the exposure to truly damaging imagery.

They *rank* you among the others working within Member Services, which is completely asinine, given the aforementioned imbalance of work. Why are we competing? Aren't we supposed to be working together, as a team? How any manager could think that this would breed a positive work environment is beyond me. Bear in mind that you may also take on the work of your supervisors - again without any additional compensation. According to their own metrics, the only possible responses were "below expectations" and "meets expectations," which is seemingly out of some sort of dystopian literature. By their own definitions, it is literally impossible to exceed their expectations. This became a meme among Member Services workers.

The management of Member Services overtly tells its workers *not* to help each other, lest we give each other incorrect advice. Think about that one. They don't want you to help each other.

The cut-off nature of Member Services from the rest of the company seems to be by design, as if to say "if we aren't paying any attention to their existence, then we also don't have to recognize the insane amount of crimes we are facilitating by our users on a daily basis." Out of sight, entirely crammed into a single room on the far side of the building, out of mind.

Communication with supervisors and managers is a complete nightmare. Speak up, and no matter how salient your point, you'll be made to feel ungrateful for being awash in a sea of free Red Bull and candy.

I routinely did overtime work, often coming in on days off to help with overflow from other departments, but alas, I was ultimately terminated for my "performance." Bear in mind that I was consistently in the top echelon of the previously mentioned rankings, but when productivity slipped in one task (among the dozen) in one month, that was it for me. This singular task involved direct email customer service with members of the site: perhaps a place where you would *want* your workers to give a little more attention to each individual user closer attention, rather than blazing through all of them with automated responses. Bear in mind that I was also correcting the slapdash work of my peers, who were rewarded for their scorched earth tactics. So, I was told that my average emails per hour was too low in one month, fine. The next month, I purposely paid little attention to the needs of any individual user and just blasted through as quickly as possible, hitting an insanely high number of emails that I had never reached before. And wouldn't you believe it: I was someone who "meets expectations." The following month, I returned to a number that was above their expectations. However, because it wasn't up to the previous, insanely inflated month, I was terminated. Again, bear in mind that this was a singular task, among about a dozen, that was performed 6-7 hours per MONTH. The rest of my work was exemplary.

I was among the highest paid in the department, if only by virtue of the amount of time I had stayed, up for a raise in about a month, and a large portion of my stock options were about to vest. I can only imagine the justification for my termination as such - they could hire someone else to do what I was doing, for way less.

This is merely a small slice of the issues with Member Services at MeetMe, seriously. If you're on the fence, look elsewhere.

What is truly saddening is that the day they terminated me, the site and app became less safe.

Advice to Management

Rein in the men running Member Services. Things are not OK in that department.

"Stay away from Member Services"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in New Hope, PA

I worked at MeetMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, food and good benefits

Cons

Terrible Management, toxic work environment, extremely stressful tasks

Advice to Management

My advice goes straight to CEO Geoff Cook - Even though I heard you are aware of the wrong doings, I rather believe you are not, so I ask you to please, please, watch closely your managers and supervisors at the member services department. Contact former employees, talk to current ones, listen to them. It's humiliating what we have to go through in that department. There are so many people out there who have been harassed, bullied and discriminated that I would not be surprised that one of these days you will face a lawsuit.

5. "In a dark box"

Pros

It's a job that was better before the acquisition

Cons

Doesn't feel like there's an actual path for growth with regards to revenue generation
    Management doesn't manage or seem to have a concept of managing
    Tools aren't in place for success, the ones that are aren't flexible enough
    Feels like there's a dark box enclosure for those acquired from SKOUT - does not feel like 'one team'
    Communication is very bad

Advice to Management

Work on managing and the 'one team' concept

"Really Depends on the Department"

I worked at MeetMe full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, catered bi-weekly lunches, dinners (for those staying after 6:30), interesting and challenging work.

Cons

Department management:
    MeetMe can't be considered one team by the way it operates. It's more a few separate branches that work in conjunction with one another. This sounds like how any good company would operate (different departments working together to make great products), but when management of employees differs from team to team, it's a problem.
    One team would be told that there was flexible time while another, not time sensitive, would be severely reprimanded for being more than 10 minutes late.
    One team would be welcome to contribute ideas, while another was told to "not waste time" with such things.
    Feelings of insecurity were abound and many people did not feel comfortable speaking to their supervisors for fear of their employment or reprimanding (or both).
    So while I can safely say that some departments would be a joy to work in, some are not.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Speak to them about their concerns. Work with them to make an environment where EVERYONE is valued, understood, and welcome to contribute (not just management.)

"Member Services is Not Part of MeetMe!"

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in New Hope, PA
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in New Hope, PA

I worked at MeetMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- paid holiday and sick time
    - tons of free snacks and drinks
    - free lunches every other thursday
    - free dinner if you work past 6:30 (until the privilege is taken away by a supervisor)
    - company parties and fun outings

Cons

- this is a temporary position. you will be fired if you make it to 3 years, without explanation. they prepare to fire you from the moment you are hired. they do not want long term employees.
    - constant conflicting answers from supervisors. one will tell you to do something and the other will tell you the opposite.
    - interaction with non member services employees is frowned upon. supervisors will go as far as listening to your conversations with them.
    - the imagery is vile and some may deeply impact you. they offer no sympathy or counseling to members.
    - rules change depending on mood and which supervisor is present. they will reprimand certain individuals for doing the same thing as another. i.e.: eating the dinners provided. 1 member was told he may not participate while the others were free to indulge. another example is one member not being allowed to wear a hat and another member wearing hats any time they please. one of the most absurd was telling 1 employee that drinking coffee was prohibiting them to work at their full capacity due to both hands not being on the keyboard at all times.
    - there is a great amount of free food that you are more than welcome to eat, but the rules get very confusing. specific foods will be randomly banned from being eaten at your desk without explanation without prior knowledge of which are “OK to eat” and “Not OK”. you have to just eat at your own risk.
    - there are no promotions.
    - raises are so low they make no change in your paycheck. what you are hired with is what you will make until you leave. there is no way around this and requests are denied immediately.
    - everyone is paid the same regardless of responsibilities. you may be expected to learn 15 tasks while the person next to you remains at only having to do 3 tasks. your pay does not differ. they will tell you to specifically not to ever speak about what you make. this is so nobody brings up this extreme discrepancy in the pay vs. task balance
    - friendships within member services are severely frowned upon and you will me made to feel bad or wrong about becoming friends with one another.
    - the room you work in is freezing. be sure to bring blankets and a parka. do not bring up how cold it is. pretend you love working in the arctic.
    - quantity of work is favored over quality. this can be frustrating to those with morals due to the sensitive nature of some of the inquiries, such as suicidal situations, mass violence, child predators, etc. those that overlook and rush through work improperly will be held to a higher standard than those giving their full attention to a member’s need.
    - if you refuse an offer that is presented to you as “optional” they will retaliate quietly by not offering you overtime for a month
    - there is a clear amount of workplace bullying happening in the department, but HR keeps out of it. The department needs to be investigated.
    - it is clear the lack of care or attachment the supervisors gain towards you. if you quit or are fired the head supervisor will leave promptly before being forced to say goodbye. the other two will pretend it did not happen.
    - they do not offer constructive criticism.
    - the main boss of our department will interview you. once hired he will never speak to you again because you are now a peasant.
    - you sit in a small room whilst a supervisor sits behind and in front of you. You may not speak unless spoken to. Most communication is done through gchat. Hope you like silence.

Advice to Management

there needs to be new leaders. someone who can better communicate with all supervisors and ensure that everyone is properly trained before being given the power to answer all questions. morale needs to be addressed. The two men running the department need leadership training or to be replaced completely. This department has been run into the ground. The lack of supervising skills of the other supervisors has been allowed and created by their immediate bosses. Stop treating your hard workers as nonhumans. If they are doing good work there is no need to consistently yell at them for absolutely anything you can find. The department understands you are the boss, but there is a fine line between exercising your power and taking advantage of it. Remove your numbering system. It is one of the worst ways to run a department. It is causing people to not answer inquiries correctly and proving the desire of quantity over quality. You are not ranking hard work, you are ranking lack of care. The idea of it is so absurd, it’s incredible it was even approved in the first place. The owners of MeetMe should be appalled at the lack of care the supervisors have when it comes to assisting members. The less time a representative spends helping a customer, the better. There are no repercussions for ignoring a member’s need or not fulfilling their request. The customer service and general support are an embarrassment. Also, forcing people to sit in a silent room while staring at a computer for 8 hours a day causes an unhappy work environment. For a company that wants to be seen as so “fun” they easily turn their heads away from an entirely miserable and mistreated department.

"Loved working at MeetMe"

I worked at MeetMe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment, good pay, and smart people. Across the street from a Triumph brewery helps people get to know each other.

Cons

If you can handle living in Pennsylvania, which apparently others can, this can be one of the best places to work.

Advice to Management

I loved working at MeetMe, they want to build the next big app and had smarter management than most.

"Part of the Team! But Not Really"

Former Employee - Member Services in New Hope, PA
    Former Employee - Member Services in New Hope, PA

I worked at MeetMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Your own desk that you can decorate with knick-knacks.
    -Free snacks and lunches.
    -Flexible schedule after initial "time served".
    -Relaxed dress code.
    -Board game room!
    -Stock options for all employees.
    -Yearly raise.
    -Paid vacation and sick time.
    -CEO Geoff Cook is great at making MeetMe profitable.
    -Good option for someone fresh out of school looking for temporary work.

Cons

-Content review is not for the squeamish. Hope you're alright with nudity, gore, and all manner of other vile imagery and text.
    -You'll be working holidays. That means Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sorry.
    -You're forced to switch desks every few months (for no reason) to remind you that you aren't permanent.
    -With the mandatory starting Fri-Mon schedule you'll never get to take advantage of the free lunches.
    -Starting schedule is mandatory 10 hour days, Friday through Monday. Kiss your social life goodbye.
    -Chatting (whether verbally or via IM) with co-workers is discouraged and even reprimanded.
    -You'll never get to use the board game room. Even if you're invited by other employees to play during lunch, you'll probably get reprimanded by your supervisor.
    -Stocks fully vest after three years. You'll probably be long gone before then. You'll either quit, get fired for made-up performance reasons, or have your job automated out of existence.
    -Don't even look at the yearly raise. It's absolutely abysmal. A joke, really. Be sure you start in January, otherwise it's prorated, too!
    -Supervisors go out of their way to make you feel like you're not part of the MeetMe team as a whole.
    -Don't even think about raising issues or pointing out deficiencies to your Supervisor. It will most likely be taken as a personal attack and you'll be given retaliatory grunt work. You might even get fired on the spot.
    -Even if you have more responsibilities than a co-worker, you will both be paid the same.
    -No career advancement within Member Services. There's only one position and you're it.
    -Supervisors are often not on the same page. You may receive multiple conflicting answers to the same question.
    -Snow days? No way. You'll be working from home. Also, this is the ONLY time you're ever allowed to work from home. Sick and don't want to spread your illness? Great! Take a sick day but you're not working from home, even if you want to.
    -All in all, you're just another temporary warm body to them.

Advice to Management

Make Member Services feel like part of the team rather than second-class citizens and stop being so petty! Every time you fire someone for raising valid concerns just makes you look childish and retaliatory. Three supervisors and the only "supervising" we get is negative feedback - no coaching, no praise for good work, no leading by example. We're treated like a dog who just messed the rug and is getting his nose rubbed in it. Either outsource the whole department overseas or start treating your Member Services employees like human beings.

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at MeetMe full-time

Pros

Young cool people to work with
    Lots of bars/restaurants in the area
    Fun social networking app to work on
    Everyone has a voice in the product
    Ping pong & pool table!
    Quarterly hackathons
    Quarterly company parties
    Daily free dinners
    Frequent free lunches and breakfast
    Good amount of vacation and sick days
    Video and board games

Cons

Parking can be annoying
    New Hope is a far commute for some people
    I eat too much candy