Megaplex Theatres "team members" Reviews | Glassdoor

Megaplex Theatres Employee Reviews about "team members"

Updated Nov 13, 2017

3.2
Megaplex Theatres CEO Greg Miller (no image)
Greg Miller
Pros
  • "Free Movies and you have the ability to see movies before they come out(in 27 reviews)

• "Easy work, 2 free tickets for every movie(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Large turnover rate because they refuse to give annual pay raises to the general team members(in 9 reviews)

• "Low hours, low pay, some very slow nights(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "team members"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Team Member in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of hours available Good training Free movies, popcorn, soda 30 % Discount Discounts at all LHM properties

Cons

High stress High school co-team members Nearly minimum pay

Advice to Management

Train DLs to the same standards, so one doesn't set one standard and another a different standard. It confuses team members.

Megaplex Theatres2015-05-27
  2. "If you need money this job isn't for you"

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time

Pros

The team members are are nice The benefits are nice but could be better

Cons

They are so cheap like not kidding they will work you hard Low pay They don't care what you have to say unless it saves them money Slow season you will get under 12 hours per week with low pay

Advice to Management

Pay higher! Listen to us more Just try and care about your employees

Megaplex Theatres2017-11-13

"Concessions Team Member"

Current Employee - Concessions Worker in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good deals Great Benefits Nice lower management

Cons

Constantly burnt from the oil management not willing to listen all team members are VERY underpaid Suggestions are unread Very bad hours

Advice to Management

Pay your workers more, your not saving a few bucks, you dont want the type of worker that doesn't care about their future enough to accept the 7.50 an hour. Also your not going to have enough trained workers, it costs more to train a new worker than to raise the pay of an existing employ a few bucks...

Megaplex Theatres2017-10-29
  4. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Providence, UT

I worked at Megaplex Theatres full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies and cheap concessions. Also nice discount with Fanzz.

Cons

Terrible corporate management. They don't pay fair wages and don't listen to things that could help the theater succeed. Large turnover rate because they refuse to give annual pay raises to the general team members.

Advice to Management

Listen to your assistant managers. They are actually the ones dealing with the people and hear the feedback every day. Pay them fairly. $9.25 for a full time manager whom is running the entire facility while on duty...is not fair. Reconsider your wages for your managers and team members. Also, don't let them work over time. They don't get overtime compensation for it, so don't make them do it. Hire more hands if you must. Please learn to listen and care.

Megaplex Theatres2017-10-18
  5. "Detailed review from long time employee"

Former Employee - Team Member in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Megaplex Theatres full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros (in order of my opinion of importance): -Great for meeting a diverse group of fun and interesting people between the ages of 16-21. A lot of lasting friendships are formed here, and some marriages have even stemmed from people working together. -Good high school job to gain confidence in customer service, make friends, or make decent amount of money for high school (easy to pick up shifts) -Job does sometimes have fun work related events (Oscar parties, private screenings, etc.)

Cons

Cons (in order of my opinion of importance): -It's customer service, it's definitely not for everybody. I've met some really amazing people, but I've also met some of the WORST. -Pay is minimum wage which is what you'd expect. Raises are VERY rarely given and often times not even offered, no matter how good your performance is. In 4 years, my pay was REDUCED because I took a leave of absence. My reviews from management were always exemplary and I had always received 100% on my "secret shopper" evaluations. -Unprofessional management that, often times, is NOT promoted from within or simply isn't qualified/mature enough to manage and lead a group of people; or they were promoted from within SO fast, that they don't know what they're doing. Supervisors and managers were frequently hired with ZERO movie theater or supervisor experience. They're often times fresh out of college with a degree in communications or something... Just because you have a degree doesn't make you a leader. In a position like this experience/leadership potential > a business degree -Managers/Supervisors did not spend enough time "in the stand." This lack of "hands on" working on the managers/supervisors part meant less qualified people were promoted, lazier team members were able to get by doing very little, and would frequently result in disorganization and confusion (running around aimlessly looking for a supervisor to open your cash drawer because you mistaking gave incorrect change, or you mistakenly charged them for 2 drinks instead of 1. - It was easy to manipulate the generally very young, impressionable supervisors into getting assigned certain duties, shifts, or break times. Which meant that, with a little finesse, you could always get your way. -INCONSISTENT RULES! One manager might not like this, one manager might not mind, one manager might consider it a "write up-able" offense. Let's just say, the company "policies" changed very, very frequently depending on the particular manager, their mood, and if they had a good night sleep the night before. Inconsistencies in rules made it VERY hard not to get in trouble with someone. -Job is VERY dirty and greasy. You frequently go home with layers of grease that you can literally scrape off your skin. Your uniform will also get the infamous "smell" that is impossible to wash out of your uniform. The pants I used to wear when I was employed there (4 years ago-ish) still have the "smell" after numerous washes. -Late hours, especially for high schoolers. A closing shift is from 4:45pm to 15 minutes after the last showing (generally 10-10:30pm). That's not including the time it takes you clean everything. You'll frequently be required to work midnight showings which can mean you will be getting off around 2am. -Because of the younger audience this job typically attracts, there is a lot of drama. It's basically a microcosm of a high school lunchroom; but it depends on your department. -I mentioned "free movies" as a pro, but the value that "pro" was being slowly, and slowly diminished as I worked there. -Having to "upsell" and "suggestive sell." I did not mind this at all, it's as simple as saying, "Would you like a large drink instead of a medium for .25 cents more?" or "Would you like a drink with your popcorn?" But it really bothers and irritates some people. -You are subject to random "mystery shop" evaluations where the company hires someone to secretly grade and evaluate you on a random transaction. Again, this did not bother me as I was always working hard and being friendly, but it really bothered some people. I guess if you're having a bad day, or just had a bad transaction and you fail the evaluation; I can see how that would be frustrating because it's not an accurate representation of who you are.

Advice to Management

-Come down from your Ivory Tower and actually LOOK at what is going on in the field. -Promote people from within that have a proven track record of success and not by their ability to brown nose. -Make rules that are consistent and stick with them. -You can't "manage" people you hardly know and only see in passing as you walk to the bathroom.

Megaplex Theatres2017-09-25
  6. "Free movies"

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres

Pros

- Free movies - Fish points - 30% discount on the food

Cons

- Occasional angry costumers - Management doesn't like telling team members what's happening (in terms of events) - Closes late for concessions. Not getting out till around 12:30 am sometimes. - Discount Tuesdays.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees.

Megaplex Theatres2015-11-09
  7. "Good first job"

Team Member in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Megaplex Theatres

Pros

It is a great place to work if this is your first job. It's easy to switch shifts with other team members and they are great about allowing you to take time off if you have filled out the request form. Team members get two free tickets to films that have been out for at least a week, with the ability to earn more free tickets for good work .

Cons

There are a lot of young teenagers working there, and at times its got a little gossipy and there was so people in different departments that were dramatic, but nothing too intense. Everyone is required to work the holidays and it can be hard if your family plans on taking trips during that season. The hardest thing for me, is it seemed like people were promoted based off looks rather than competencies.

Megaplex Theatres2014-12-17

"Last employee left from group of 20 hired 6 months ago."

Current Employee - Concessions Team Member in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you have an open schedule and don't mind long shifts, you can get all the hours you ever wanted. All the shift managers I have worked with are great as are most other coworkers. A theater does seem to bring out the better in people, so I have rarely dealt with a bad guest. Free movies (with limits. Lots of limits) 30% discount on overpriced food, after loading the money on your employee id

Cons

I do not feel like the upper management cared about the employees. The company is very greedy and stingy. Much of the scheduling makes no sense (closers coming in before lates). As a student I had evening availability and had to close often, closers never get off before 11:00 pm and sometimes don't until 1:30. You don't get weekends off. Many holidays are mandatory for all team members, including Christmas and thanksgiving. Very fast paced, several hours straight of helping one guest immediately another. Pay does not reflect the work ($7.25 starting and 5-15 cent raise every 3 months). Good luck getting any shift covered schedule not posted until 2 days before it goes into effect. Shift managers are awesome but due to various policies are not allowed to actually help much, they may be gone from the stands for hours at a time, and yet they are needed to do anything but complete a normal transaction.

Megaplex Theatres2014-11-04
  9. "Good starting job, management is so-so, favorites only move up, huge premiers suck."

Current Employee - Team Member in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment (on floor), 2 free movie tickets per movie. $1 tickets to most movies, 2 weeks before your regular tickets are free. Midnight screenings of movies a day prior, 30 fishpoints (employee rewards with amounts of points for doing stuff), free popcorn/soda 30 minutes before, on break, and after your shirt. Usually easy work.

Cons

Lazy team members who don't work. People cutting corners. Management doesn't say or do much, but gets frustrated when you stop working for 2.5 seconds. Can't miss more than 2 shifts or your fired. VERY limited amount of shifts. Last summer, I got 4 shifts a week. EXCESSIVE hiring lead to 2 shifts a week, THIS summer.

Advice to Management

Try and help out a little more. Promote people who do good work, don't hold grudges against them, prevent them from ever moving up in the company.

Megaplex Theatres2014-07-31
  10. "Work elsewhere!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Megaplex Theatres part-time for more than a year

Pros

2 free movie tickets per movie, lots of discounts to many stores.

Cons

Team members are highly expendable therefore not cared about too much.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Believe it or not they are more vital to the company than you are.

Megaplex Theatres2014-03-25