Meijer Reviews in Bowling Green, OH | Glassdoor

2.6
Meijer President and CEO Richard Keyes
Richard Keyes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; opportunity to work many hours; team member discount (in 83 reviews)

• You have the ability to have flexible hours (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Tbe hours fluctuate to where I went from basically full time every week down to 13 hours a week (in 95 reviews)

• Minimum wage pay for entry level candidates (in 84 reviews)

1. "Great low-stress work environment with competitive pay"

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay after you get into the union, generally a pretty easy job that people take for granted. Many older employees I spoke to were making upwards of $14/hour, but they had been there for 8+ years.

Cons

There were many small low-paying-job cons that I could complain about. However, looking back, they're all too small to even mention, and many just come with being a low-level employee. Other than that, your in-store discount is only 10% off and it doesn't work for groceries.

"Hostile work environment, exclusive management culture"

Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is acceptable, flexible scheduling

Cons

Management plays favorites. If they don't like you, they will make your life miserable. Advancement is entirely based on the whims of the manager above you, and there is no merit-based progression. It is impossible to get a raise outside of the pitiful time-based raises. You are allotted one call-off every 45 days, and if you take more than that, you are penalized. They ask for you to treat them as family, and give everything to your job, but you are expendable and worthless to them.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on mid-level management, stop the workplace bullying, and see your employees as something more than just "warm bodies".

"Disheartening"

Current Employee - Food Clerk in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are many nice customers and some people you work with are fun. There are many areas you can work and learn about.

Cons

No communication and very little training. Pay cap out and not many days off, or they deny the ones you want.

Advice to Management

Listen and treat the employees like the hard working people they are. Treat them with respect and they will respect you.

4. "Not terrible, but not ideal"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- worked with my college course schedule
    - it was not a physically demanding job

Cons

- I constantly had to pick up the slack for other people
    - it was next to impossible for management to get rid of lazy or incompetent employees
    - salary did not adequately make up for the stresses and responsibilities of my particular position
    - much of the lower to middle management had a habit of talking behind each others back and generally acted like petty high school children
    - upper management often makes policies that do not work when put into practice or even impede productivity and customer service

Advice to Management

I would advise much of the management to grow up and be more professional. I would advise upper management to think more carefully before putting policies into place that hurt work efforts. I would advise all levels of management to remember that their employees are people and not just cogs in an industrial machine.

"Specialty Clerk"

Former Employee - Bakery/Deli Clerk in Bowling Green, OH
    Former Employee - Bakery/Deli Clerk in Bowling Green, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the coworkers were nice, and it was nice getting a 10% discount on GM stuff. I did learn a lot of things about sanitation and safety too. I loved my manager- she was absolutely a blast to work with and genuinely cared.

Cons

Even though they required you to update your availibility every few months, they never paid any attention to it. Many of my coworkers worked two jobs (or went to school) and they would schedule them while they had classes... You'd think being in a college town would cause them to think through that. Also, the pay was TERRIBLE! I worked there almost 2 years (at roughly 30 hours/week) and still only made about $8/hour. Don't even get me started on the union...

Advice to Management

They need to realize that we are human and have to juggle other aspects of our lives. Them changing the schedule without notice, or blaming us for "mistakes" that THEY told us to make is causing turnover to be insane. Also, if one of us is in management training, and all we are waiting for is your "go ahead", STOP jerking us around!

Showing 5 of 2,204 reviews