Meijer Reviews in Oswego, IL | Glassdoor

2.3
Meijer President and CEO Richard Keyes
Richard Keyes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; opportunity to work many hours; team member discount (in 76 reviews)

• Flexible Hours - Working around classes (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Tbe hours fluctuate to where I went from basically full time every week down to 13 hours a week (in 92 reviews)

• Minimum wage pay for entry level candidates (in 85 reviews)

1. "It has its ups and downs"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oswego, IL

Pros

The people you work with are amazing
    Raises come more frequently the more you work

Cons

The starting pay isn't high enough for the tasks that are given.
    Some managers don't stick to the rules and change them with each and every shift

"While fulfilling socially not economically friendly. Always something to do while also never good enough."

Current Employee - GM Team Leader in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - GM Team Leader in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet and work with are amazing and there is room for growth. The company usually goes from within.

Cons

Claim to be family friendly but refuse to help with schedule and penalize if something comes up including but not limited to a child being ill. Employees are expected to do far above expectations and never compensated enough.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a livable wage and take a look at what your female employees make versus their make counterparts. There is a huge gap.

3. "Meat and Deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Meijer (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive thing I can say about my almost 3 year experience with the company is the quarterly bonus. I find it horrible that this is the only benefit I can attribute a multi-million dollar company.

Cons

Upper management plays hard core favoritism.
    False promises on promotions.
    Promotions are decided by team members not the team leads.
    Back stabbing.

Advice to Management

learn to treat people better. Allowing full-timers to do what ever they want and forcing the part-timers to do there job is unfair. You take advantage of us and promote off of favoritism

4. "Dont expect much ladies and gentleman."

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Set pay raises were nice
    - no drug tests (if you're into that type of thing)
    - easy to do no work at all and just slide under the radar (again if you're into that)

Cons

- low pay
    - extremely un-intelligent managers
    - never was told 'good job' or got the pat on the back feeling
    - women managers almost seem like they have to prove themselves through harsh and irrational decisions
    - treated like a mule
    - never see in-store upper management
    - occasional visits from distract managers results in a hectic frenzy beforehand to make the store 'presentable'

Advice to Management

Letting the store know a few days prior to upper management visitations only gives the in-store managers time to scramble and fix there lack of work since last visitation. Surprise them sometime and then you'll actually get to see how the stores are operated ;)

5. "I worked there for over a year and it was my first paying job."

Former Employee - Utility Worker in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Utility Worker in Oswego, IL

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to interact with the customers. Especially the little kids.

Cons

Working during the hottest days of summer and the coldest days of winter.

"Training is non-existent and always understaffed."

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader in Oswego, IL

I worked at Meijer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stores are busy all of the time.

Cons

Impossible goals under impossible circumstances. Trying to run 2 depts is impossible and these depts are the hardest to operate. Upper mgmt even recognized that the job was impossible, but still expected perfection.
    Deli was always understaffed and customers would regularly leave before being served. Absolutely no training for management and upper mgmt expected Deli and Bakery to be in 100% order, even though I had only been on the job for 3 days. The laughable part is that these depts ran without a TL for almost a year and had gone through at least 4 TL's in 3 years before I was hired, yet I was supposed to fix everything instantly. There were too many projects that didn't contribute to sales at all and wasted more time than anything.
    Very poor employee morale. They never had enough help and were always being told to do more. Most just gave up and work very hard at not working. Consequently there is no respect for TL's from TM's. Many are determined to sabotage every new TL and have successfully help eliminate most of the 8 or 9 TL's that the store has employed. Upper management is quick to believe any lie they are told by TM's.
    Having to manage 2 depts is a joke with 28 mostly uncooperative employees, especially when there was absolutely no training in any store systems or company protocol and no one in the store who could or would help with teaching them.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to dept managers and their needs. Train your new employees, so they understand how to perform their jobs. I had a number of worthless employees who I tried to get out of my dept, but was turned down every time. These people are still at the store and still doing a poor job!

Showing 6 of 2,080 reviews