Cover image for Meijer

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Meijer Employee Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Updated Nov 27, 2021

Meijer President and CEO Richard Keyes
Richard Keyes
1,323 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are some great people to work with in the Corporate office and it is usually very easy going.(in 247 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good for employees who are full time status and also those who are part time status but average over 34 hours a week.(in 241 reviews)
  • "My favorite part of working for Meijer is the flexible hours as I am a college student(in 232 reviews)
  • "My coworkers were great and the fact that there is a union there helps with both wages and dealing with management.(in 223 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling and a pay scale that while on the small side for adults is easy to move up.(in 108 reviews)
Cons
  • "Bad management and working with their customers is awful.(in 418 reviews)
  • "Low pay for doing more than management (we had to train managers...uhhhh) hours cut.(in 386 reviews)
  • "Some managers don't stick to the rules and change them with each and every shift(in 192 reviews)
  • "Very Little or no training on anything.(in 72 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Meijer and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you need to work at minimum wage and be managed by policy not by leadership then Meijer is the place

Oct 5, 2013 - Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule if you like not knowing from week to week the days and hours you work then this could be a positive! If you like being managed by policy with the threat of termination then this too could be a positive. If like working for minimum wage with the above condition the Meijer is a great place to work.

Cons

Having given you the PROS here are the CONS: -Leadership in non existent -Managers are complete "yes men" with little if any backbone -Managers will do what ever it takes to get promoted -training that real job training is non existent leaving the new employee in a sink or swim mode -the PC training that is given is totally sleepy time -the Meijer Union is just that they are total "Yes Men" for the company and the employee pays $6,48 a week to the Union for this support -The "Friendly Meetings" are a joke they tell the employee everything they have to do and end the meeting with "If you do not like the job - there's the door, we have plenty of people waiting to come in"

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Could have been worse.

Aug 18, 2021 - GM Clerk in McCordsville, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The schedule was flexible and the job was relatively easy. The customers were pleasant for the most part.

Cons

The management in some departments tends to play favorites. Sometimes the expectations were less than reasonable considering the volume of traffic in the store.

3. Join the Meijer team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee

Could have been better. Could have been worse.

Dec 16, 2009 - Plan-o-gram
    Business Outlook

Pros

The managers I had were very good at working the schedule aorund your personal time. Most people I worked with were generally nice. THe department I worked in had great hours.

Cons

Upper Management tended to ignore you and your opinions. There was a lot of favoritism. I was often asked to work off the clock.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nothing keeping you here.

Mar 30, 2015 - Deli Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

In my experience I had amazing coworkers and they conformed to my schedule very nicely.

Cons

Every other aspect of having a job.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Will be opportunities in the world in 2021

Feb 13, 2021 - Event Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

The flexible work schedule allowed for me to have balance in my life at that time.

Cons

I wish I lived closer to get to some of the job opportunities.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Team Member

Jul 11, 2016 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

decent discount on general merchandise, and at least once a year they open the discount to groceries, health and beauty, and sometimes even coupons for gas. I've won the Fred and Lena Meijer Scholarship twice which really helped with school. The management has always been flexible with my schedule to allow for classes and raising my son. Honestly, I don't think I'd be about to finish my Masters degree if I hadn't had Meijer on my side.

Cons

Lots of politics in Management within the store. They don't always care about the team members. The people who come and tell us what we are doing wrong have likely never worked on an actual sales floor/had to stock/merchandise/etc.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Fantastic Work Place

Aug 22, 2019 - Customer Service Associate in Troy, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement. very flexible work hours and schedule.

Cons

None that I can think of.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good Company

Aug 15, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

good management and flexible with schedule/hours

Cons

lots of downtime, often pretty boring

10. 1.0
    Current Employee

How Meijer is not the place to work

Apr 16, 2012 - Cashier in Lexington, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can ask off and pretty much get what days you want. They are very good about working around your schedule especially if you are in school.

Cons

The upper management is very corrupt and not very organized. Many of the service coordinators are very unhelpful and unprofessional. There is no way for a complaint to looked at seriously. Even if the complaint was about something such as other employees treating others as lower individuals. There really isn't a way to get raises even if you are very experienced at what you do. The 10 cent raise every 1000 hours isn't good enough to help support an individual.

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I've always had good experiences there with the service and the store in general.

Sep 2, 2015 - Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Above minimum wage pay Great co-workers who are willing to help out new people Flexibility is great because I'm also a student and they were willing to work around my schedule

Cons

They don't give you very many hours You will have to deal with rude customers There is a lot to remember as a cashier due to their high expectations that cashiers follow all policies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 291 Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Meijer Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Meijer? Share Your Experiences

Meijer logo

Meijer Careers

Cover image for Meijer

Explore Meijer Opportunities! Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in six states throughout the Midwest, with over 200 stores and more...More

• Working At Meijer
  • Our Culture
  • Community
  • Benefits

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

2 days ago

Company News
It’s official – the first-ever Meijer Grocery locations have opened their doors to customers in Lake Orion and Macomb Twp., Mich. "As a company, we've opened more than 500 supercenters, neighborhood markets and Meijer Express locations, and that feeling of excitement and anticipation as you welcome customers in for the first time never gets old," Executive Chairman Hank Meijer said. "But opening the doors of these stores feels particularly special because of the unique need they'll fulfill in our customers' everyday lives." Learn more about the newest way to shop Meijer: https://bit.ly/3H9q0DP
Shared image - New Meijer Grocery Stores Open Doors to Fresh, Convenient Retail Experience Today in Southeast Michigan
bit.ly

14 days ago

Culture
At Meijer, it’s tradition for a team of top drivers and mechanics to visit the assembly plant to watch our newest crop of tractors being assembled and offer their input on the future of our fleet. Check it out: https://bit.ly/3iIGIlk
Shared image