Cover image for Meijer

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Meijer Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Sep 7, 2021

Meijer President and CEO Richard Keyes
Richard Keyes
1,330 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are some great people to work with in the Corporate office and it is usually very easy going.(in 256 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good for employees who are full time status and also those who are part time status but average over 34 hours a week.(in 231 reviews)
  • "My coworkers were great and the fact that there is a union there helps with both wages and dealing with management.(in 230 reviews)
  • "My favorite part of working for Meijer is the flexible hours as I am a college student(in 227 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling and a pay scale that while on the small side for adults is easy to move up.(in 109 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Meijer and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee

Exemplifies the corporate grind.

Aug 10, 2016 - Receiving Team Member in Algonquin, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Probably will not go out of business in the next 10 years. If your are willing to cut the throat of your coworkers take constant threats from unqualified managers above you you can rise quickly in the company.

Cons

Where to start? Local management has no education in management at all. People are chosen to move up in to management by how well they blame other employees or keep quiet and take all the verbal abuse and threats from their superiors. Managements solution to any problems is to push their employees until they quit without taking any responsibility to help solve the problem. Employees are pushed to make up for slower employees even if it means having to do several positions at once. Management shows no respect to employees by berating and threatening them in front of other employees and customers. Employees are threatened constantly to be solely responsible for procedures, equipment and security in areas they have no or little control over. Corporate policy changes that take away your pay and make you take more responsibility with no increase in pay. Has eliminated job titles that would include better pay at other companies and forces lower level employees to perform said functions of management. Force to meet deadlines by not taking breaks or lunches. Consistently threatened to have hours cut when unable to reach assigned deadlines or goals. Forced to make up for employees that have specific medical restrictions. Their are no team members here. It is every man for himself. (As told by the Grocery Lines Leader when asking for assistance). Hires part-time seasonal (college kids) and cuts the hours of their regular employees whenever possible.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

As you expect for a minimum wage type job.

Feb 2, 2014 - Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the people I worked with and I enjoyed cashiering and being in the public.

Cons

The pay was not that great and the hours were not that great especially for low seniority.

3. Join the Meijer team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review for Meijer - Produce Dept.

Jan 21, 2017 - Produce Clerk in Wixom, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seemingly decent benefit packages for full-time employees, management was flexible for scheduling and transferring to a different store across the state. Major emphasis on the importance of family to the company, and the work environment fostered a positive atmosphere at both stores that I served. Very cooperative with college students' needs by providing academic leave for eligible employees.

Cons

Policies that were supposedly company-wide were occasionally inconsistent from store to store. The pay raises were small and seemed to take an awful lot of hours to attain.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not bad

May 25, 2022 - GM Clerk in Monroe, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid and they have a good union.

Cons

Pay isn't that great and they can be weird with your schedule if you don't have seniority

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

Okay

Jun 12, 2020 - Pharmacy Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Local, not drive too far

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of work needed and irrational customers can be a pain

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

If you can handle abuse and lies, this is the place for you.

Oct 29, 2014 - Grocery Stocker in Ionia, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Other than giving me a new found love for life outside of those walls, nothing, absolutely nothing.

Cons

Your judgements of how disgusting people can really be, WILL be validated and I'm not just talking about the customers. Abusive management (at least where I work, and do not sell short the term abusive, it is disgusting the abuse I and anyone else have to put up with here). No room to grow. Points for everything, and I mean everything... have a death in the family, you get a point for that. Minimum wage pay for physically (depending on your department) and mentally exhausting work. You have to go through three interviews... but no drug test (Sit back and think about that, that should tell you who, unless you are lucky, you're going to be working with). I could go on forever... I used to love coming into work and getting to help the customers and learn something new and give myself more experience. Now I just dread getting up for my next shift. The store I work for is a joke, the place is disgusting and outdated, management knows how to cross lines that should never be crossed and get away with it, the union is hell and sometimes works agaist those who really put an effort into their job while your coworker is cracking jokes that would get him fired elsewhere and stocking one cart of products for almost the entire shift. The dairy room is filthy everyday with sour milk on the floor and eggs that haven't been cleaned off the floor in years. The shelves NEVER get cleaned, that sticky stuff you just put your hand in, I couldn't tell you what that was either. That yogurt, cheese or meat feel a little warm to you, chances are that was left out by a customer and put back on the shelf after who knows how long or the stocker had the cart on the floor for a couple hours or longer allowing what you just picked up to be a questionable purchase (take it to the service desk I beg of you, don't trust it I know what goes on behind those walls) Shrink is major concern, but DOES NOT care about the employees who are throwing, yes throwing, every box of product across the back room to pass the time. Wonder why that can is dented, yep nine times out of ten, the employees had fun throwing that onto the cart, missing, and it hit the floor damaging half of the flat. You are part time with no chance of full time, yet depending on the department, you will get 40 hours for the busy seasons and have to pull the weight of others because management will refuse to hire anyone to cut costs and save money. I could go on forever, and I am sure not every store is like this. But for those thinking of shopping or working here, really give it some thought, and if you still think you can handle it, have a back up plan just incase.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Cashier

Jan 6, 2016 - Cashier in Oak Creek, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work. Nice people, work around your schedule, open 24 hours, and nice staff.

Cons

Once January and Feb hit your hours get cut and the pay is not the greatest.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

do not work here!

Jul 24, 2015 - Receiving Clerk
    Business Outlook

Pros

good equipment really nothing else

Cons

pay sucks management is rude disrespectful stupid and all around a joke training...what training? they hardly teach you anything and then yell at you and whine when you dont know what youre doing...WHAT??!! your only hope is to know everything and how everything works there...either that or be a female...they never treat females badly...ever....but if youre male do not work here!!! unless you like being yelled at and disrespected every single day.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Cashier

Oct 6, 2015 - Cashier in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great managers, amazing coworkers. Pretty good about working around your schedule. 10% discount on GM.

Cons

You get held EVERY time you work!!! You never leave on time. Breaks when they tell you that you can take one. Low pay for amount of work you do and for how busy the store is. Rude customers. People bring nasty bags they want you to put their groceries in.

11. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

It’s okay

Nov 30, 2022 - General Merchandise in Jenison, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great flexibility with school easy work

Cons

Not fulfilling work Poor pay Not willing to negotiate pay based on how good of an employee you are

Viewing 1 - 10 of 796 Reviews