Melaleuca Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Melaleuca President and CEO Frank L. VanderSloot
Frank L. VanderSloot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employee benefits are great including the awesome onsite restaurant and the free products each month- which I have fallen in love with (in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits and longevity bonuses (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the objectives and goals from upper management aren't clearly discussed with employees (in 15 reviews)

• those are nice but they don't make up for the poor managing style and low pay (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company, too strict"

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time

Pros

I learned amazing customer service skills.

Cons

Sometimes things seemed to be a little too strict. I felt exhausted after most days.

"Many reviews are not written by real employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

You get free products every month.

Cons

Many of the positive reviews you see are written by Marketing Executives, i.e. independent sales reps who work from home, not at the company headquarters. Don't be fooled by these. They don't have to deal with the same crap as actual employees.

Management at global headquarters is terrible. They don't communicate with people further down the chain, make strange and unreasonable demands, crack racist jokes in meetings, and have created a hostile work environment for anybody who doesn't suck up to them. Don't expect any help from HR because they will always side with management if there's a problem.

The CEO also owns the local radio station, so be prepared to hear his voice endorsing political candidates while you drive to work in the middle of a field that smells like manure. Don't be surprised to see political candidates blocking the only way out when you get off in the evening because the CEO thought you needed another reminder to vote for his favorite candidate. And try not to think about irony when the company sells "environmentally friendlier" cleaning products while you eat lunch off of styrofoam plates and are encouraged to vote for climate change deniers.

"Director, Sales Communications"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Communications in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Director, Sales Communications in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Environment is value-based, clean, healthy, and supportive.
    The people are excellent, very driven, and among the top in their fields.
    There is a lot of opportunity to learn new things. If you're willing to try, you're given a chance to try new things.
    It is a family friendly environment. There are plenty of times that I work late or a Saturday but never without being to able make that up with more time somewhere else.
    The area is awesome. I love raising my family here.
    The weather is even getting better. I've been in Idaho Falls 25 years and the weather is more temperate now.
    There are a lot of unique benefits that most companies don't offer like free products every month, great insurance, and a to list service for taking care of basic errands for you.

Cons

I don't really consider this a con, I personally thrive on it, but we do work at a rapid pace and each of us does the job of many. We work hard, smart, and fast.

"Strong Company With Great Benefits and Good Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Melaleuca is an exceptional company that makes some very good products. There's a family atmosphere, and management is always asking for feedback and ways to improve. The company also likes to promote qualified employees from within, which offers plenty of career paths and growth opportunities. The physical facilities are new and impressive. Also, Melaleuca's benefits are among the best, if not the best, in the region. These include competitive pay, vacation, profit-sharing, excellent medical and dental coverage (which now includes orthodontics!), longevity bonuses, and many more on-site and off-site perks.

Cons

Month-end can get extremely busy and stressful due to customer orders. Not a lot of holidays off.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding into new markets to ensure growth.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Package, Great owner, Family friendly environment

Cons

Bureaucratic management style, no interview feedback, cancellation is not customer friendly,

Advice to Management

Please give people who interview supervisor and management positions feedback within 2 weeks top. I received feedback 2 months after I had interviewed, only after I asked.

6. "I had some personal reason."

Former Employee - Line Worker in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice and busy product checks

Cons

parking, driving one to different plant

"Life-long employment opportunity"

Current Employee - Director in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Director in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Melaleuca for 13 years, and I have truly enjoyed my decision to work here. I was originally introduced to Melaleuca through a university career fair, began working for them upon graduation, and have stayed with them ever since. There are a number of reasons why I decided to come to work at Melaleuca over other companies and why I continue to stay year after year:

The company has a purpose.

The company truly believes in, and lives, its mission statement of changing lives. We don’t simply build and ship exceptional, world-class consumer products, we provide an opportunity for people to take control of their own future and change it for the better.

Advancement opportunities.

Over my career with Melaleuca, I have been given incredible opportunities to learn new skills and develop new talents. With those opportunities have come career advancements. Melaleuca prides itself in promoting within and helping employees to grow into new roles and responsibilities.

Involvement.

In starting out my career, I didn’t want to go to a company where it would take me years to be given my first opportunity to have in impact and make decisions. My first role gave me empowerment and the ability to control the future of the company within my area of assignment. No matter what level you are at in the company, everyone has the opportunity to be involved, make an impact, and have a positive effect on the company. There is a great team attitude and everyone is working together to help the company be successful. Everyone helps to make the company successful. This includes executive management taking phone orders when things get busy or setting up chairs for a meeting. Everyone rolls up their sleeves and makes sure that our customers are taken care of.

I am looking forward to working with Melaleuca for many years to come.

Cons

As noted above, there is a very strong culture of everyone being involved. This means that those individuals who don’t have the attitude of team work and helping out, may not fit it.

8. "Hot Shot Phone Rep"

Former Employee - Hot Shot in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Hot Shot in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Melaleuca part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work three days a month or pick up shifts from others and work more. Just memorize what they require you to say and the job is incredibly easy.

Cons

Repetitive taking calls over and over and over

Advice to Management

I'd get 100% on quality checks but they'd get after me for low average points numbers that I have no control over. If I up-sell but they don't take it, not my fault.

"Love Working Here: Enjoy the Challenge. Love the People!"

Current Employee - Director of Events in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Director of Events in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Melaleuca over 16 years. Melaleuca treats its employees with care and respect. Benefits are great: insurance, profit sharing, product certificate, employee picnic, Christmas celebration, and more. There isn't a company in Idaho Falls that can compare. I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with. Open door with all levels of employees. The culture is one I don't feel you can find anywhere else. Friendly & fun... and it is hard work. Hard work is expected and rewarded. Melaleuca takes care of its employees and results produced. I'm glad I made the decision to start my career at Melaleuca immediately after college. Career opportunities are endless.

Cons

Hard work takes dedication and time, so finding a healthy balance between work and personal life. Melaleuca is all about family first. It simply me finding that right balance. So, not necessarily a con about Melaleuca. Just be prepared to work hard and dedicate the time & effort needed to see success.

Advice to Management

Truly enjoy where I work. Thank you for making Melaleuca a top-notch place to work.

"Saved my life, gave me financial freedom and I've had the best trainer and team leader and have become one myself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The promotional items are worth striving for and they are constantly coming up with new ways to make you excited to want to work for them in a company treats their employees so well. They have a huge home office over 300,000 square feet and they have a whole Jim the employees can go workout in he gets many bonuses double bonuses and yearly bonuses for being with a company they offer rewards when you shop and discounts on different places when you go shopping other than Melaleuca. Its amazing what they do!!

Cons

Some of the people act as though they want to team up as partners and then find every excuse not to do anything at all. Just say no. Don't waste your time bc I won't waste yours

Advice to Management

Great job!!