Melaleuca Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Melaleuca President and CEO Frank L. VanderSloot
Frank L. VanderSloot

Pros
  • The employee benefits are great including the awesome onsite restaurant and the free products each month- which I have fallen in love with (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits and longevity bonuses (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the objectives and goals from upper management aren't clearly discussed with employees (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay, favoritism, too many hours at the end of the month (35 hours as a part time worker, full time student (in 6 reviews)

1. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, managers, and work environment

Cons

It takes a while for you to get into a project

"I've stayed much longer than I thought and I actually still like it"

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

Melaleuca is full of very talented and gifted employees. Honestly, the employees at this company are what makes it special and what keeps me here. I have never worked with so many people bright people who are also so kind. At first, I thought it was a bit of a joke or a facade but after working here for several years I have come to realize that the people really are this nice. And they aren't just nice they are very good at what they do. Since I have been here we have grown by over 142% and that doesn't just happen by accident. Melaleuca has grown by double digits for 30 out of 32 years! Last year we grew by $400+MM! Heck, the biggest challenge I face as a leader is trying to keep up with hiring and getting people to move to Idaho Falls. On that matter, I love Idaho Falls. I moved from a much larger state and I really do enjoy small town living. I mean, I have a 10 minute commute and I doubled the square footage on my house and lowered my mortgage payment. Anyway, Melaleuca has treated me very well and I have been able to do things that I never thought possible. The CEO has given me his floor seats to Utah Jazz Games, I have traveled on all of the company jets and have accompanied the CEO to some fantastic trips. I know that Melaleuca isn't for everyone but for me it has been a fantastic experience.

Cons

Working at Melaleuca is not without it's challenges. We are far from perfect but I do feel like we are trending in the right direction. To me Melaleuca is experiencing growing pains. We have out grown many of our systems and processes but we can't slow down enough to fix them. This can cause some serious frustration. Another area that took some adjusting to is the approvals process. You have to be great at building business cases and being persistent and if you are good things can happen. If you are not you will get very frustrated. Just because you are an Executive doesn't mean you get to unilaterally call the shots. This is a founder led company so recognize that he will want to get involved and weigh in on some of your key decisions.

Advice to Management

The CEO met with leadership two months ago and delivered a message on empowering employees. This is a message that was well received and I encourage the Management Team to continue to push for this change. In order for Melaleuca to continue our growth we must be able to scale and to scale quickly, therefore we have to be able to make decisions even faster than before.

"Strong growth, entrepreneurial, great opportunities"

Former Employee - Director in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Director in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I left a promising career in New York City to work at Melaleuca and many of my colleagues thought I was committing career suicide, but they couldn’t have been more wrong! My Melaleuca experience was both professionally stimulating and personally fulfilling. The organization is entrepreneurial and moved faster than any other I’ve worked for. The executive team has good vision and when they wanted to move they moved fast, which made each day challenging and a lot of fun. I liked that the organization operated closer to a meritocracy than any other I’ve experienced; real contributions got recognized, which was very motivating. Their products are awesome; you get about $90 of free product per month as an employee (which was a good investment on their part because my family is now hooked and we’ll be customers for life). Last but not least I bought into their mission statement, which I think had a huge impact on my performance and sense of fulfillment. It made me feel like I was contributing to something that was larger than the sum of our individual efforts, I really believe Melaleuca is making a positive impact on the world.

Cons

- Not for the faint of heart; most positions are going to stretch you and really challenge you. If you’re just looking to show up to get a paycheck this isn’t the place for you.
    - Limited number of mentors; the top performers are as good as any I’ve worked with, but being a smaller organization there aren’t as many heavy hitters to mentor you as a larger company.
    - They move fast, which I loved, but sometimes communication could have been better across departments.

Advice to Management

Melaleuca was way ahead of its time when they started offering products shipped directly to your door back in 1985. Continue to look around the corner. There are BIG disruptors in the way consumers are shopping today and the environment is evolving very quickly. Pay attention to ensure you stay out in front.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started with Melaleuca my intention was to only stay with the company for 1-2 years to gain workplace experience and then move on. I have been with Melaleuca much longer, and for good reason. Our CEO once said, that Melaleuca is always striving to get better and improve all facets of the business that impact customers and employees. As an employee, I have seen all the efforts initiated to take care of people and enhance lives (in conjunction with Melaleuca’s mission statement….”Enhance the lives of those we touch by helping people reach their goals”). I am proud to work for a company that publicly announces, there will be no lay-offs – job stability! I am proud to work for a company where there is encouragement to promote from within, and have the opportunity to be rewarded for being the best you can be. Melaleuca has all the traditional benefits of most companies (medical, dental, paid vacations & holidays, & 401K participation), but what I love are the benefits that are unique to Melaleuca; a monthly product certificate to use all Melaleuca’s great vitamin supplements, food products, household cleaners, pharmaceuticals, and bath & body products – I get to use them all personally, it helps with the grocery bill, and they’re great products! I love that we get to share in profits with a quarterly profit sharing check. I love that Melaleuca rewards employees with tenure bonuses for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, &30 years – that totals $105,000 just for being employed and in good standing with Melaleuca! I love that Melaleuca celebrates the spring/summer with company picnics and the holidays with a Christmas party… both with lots of gifts and trip giveaways – many of my friends have lost those special events with their companies. I love that Melaleuca goes even above those events and schedules regular special employee appreciation events like on-site cookouts, tailgate parties, catered luncheons, etc. I love that Melaleuca cares about the environment and communities. When catastrophic events occurred like hurricane Katrina, the 2016 Louisiana floods & fires in Gatlinburg, TN; Melaleuca was there with people and products to help. Melaleuca is the “total package”; the grass just doesn’t get any greener…..

Cons

I don’t have any comments – Melaleuca is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! Your vision for continued growth, commitment to excellence, and steadfast desire to take care of people & reward performance are the cornerstones to Melaleuca’s success!

"Melaleuca is a global company that sells wellness products and promotes certain services."

Current Employee - Spanish Customer Service Representative in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - Spanish Customer Service Representative in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The $90 product check is very nice. The people who work here are generally very kind-hearted, and they do their best to make sure you are taken care of with your questions you may have. The products are great, and they provide great basic benefits.

Cons

There is heavy favoritism in all parts of the company. Leadership status and promotions are not given unless you have the "in" with somebody. The business mode can sometimes be misconceived by our customers, and the fine print needs to be made more out in the open. For as long as I've worked here, it's been extremely difficult to get a promotion despite everyone's saying that it can be done very easily.

Advice to Management

Take our favoritism. Give everyone an opportunity to promote and don't just promote those who've been with us the longest. Promote those who are most qualified and who show that they want to advance with the company and stay with the company for the long-haul.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and longevity bonuses. For those with coaching or training backgrounds there are very good salary jobs. They have a very decent R&D department. The corporate office has an in-house gym and the cafeteria. Most employees feel like they are treated well and Melaleuca is a very comfortable place to work.

Cons

Melaleuca has a very top-down management style. It can sometimes be very difficult to make recommendations if you are seen as an outsider.

"Exciting Growth, Exciting Future!"

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

I am proud to be part of a company with a mission statement of enhancing the lives of those we touch by helping people reach their goals. The mission statement is evident in the lives of both employees and marketing executives. One of the most exciting aspects of Melaleuca is that they have continued to see great growth year after year. The growth has translated into career opportunities and future growth for years to come. I have witnessed many employees start as a front-line associate and work their way up to Senior Manager and even Director level positions.

There is a focus by the leaders of the company to reward and recognize employees for their contributions to that growth, including profit sharing, longevity bonuses, and employee awards. Employee benefits are above average for the region, including extras like an onsite gym at global headquarters, product certificates for free Melaleuca products, Frank's errands (i.e. employee concierge service that runs errands for employees), and reduced cost daycare. Melaleuca also carries out a number of employee events and celebrations each year including the employee summer picnic and Christmas celebration.

The management team truly cares about its employees, and wants to see them be successful in both their professional and personal lives. Management puts forward the effort to listen to employees through surveys, employee round tables, and other means, because they have a general interest to improve. There is a great family and team culture, where employees at all levels work together to improve and win everyday. I would definitely recommend Melaleuca to my friends looking for career growth in an exciting company.

Cons

As with any growing company, there is a need to evolve and adapt processes and systems to accommodate the size of the company. Melaleuca needs to continue to focus on improving and enhancing processes and systems so that they can meet the demand of a growing company while staying true to its core values.

Melaleuca operates in a fast-paced, demanding environment, where there is a high expectation for excellence from every employee. While many enjoy this environment, it may not be for you if you're looking for something that is slower-paced and laid back.

"I can't believe..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't believe this just happened! Last year I was given an assignment that carried a high level amount of responsibility (translation - extra stress & some late nights). I was told up front that this is a make or break assignment and my efforts would be scene across the company and certainly by Sr Management. Well... just got out of a meeting with the Sr. Management. I just got a promotion, and a nice raise. Nice to know my work was recognized. Thank you Melaleuca!

Cons

Learning the process of how and why assignments are handed out was not clear. Not sure why I or others are chosen for large projects.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

"Exceeding expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place continues to exceed my expectations. The offices are beautiful, the employees are kind, hard working, talented and the best part is that they are happy and want to win together as a team....a refreshing twist coming from a large corp environment. The employee benefits are great including the awesome onsite restaurant and the free products each month- which I have fallen in love with. The company is sincere in their desire to offer a healthy environment and to help others reach their goals. There is an awesome onsite gym, which is free if you use it, as well as very inexpensive-certified- trainers onsite. The interview and relocation experience has been consistent and one of the best experiences I have had. We have moved four other times with different corporations -so that's a big compliment. The opportunity to be in a positive environment with an organization that has a significant impact on the lives of our customers and the the employees is a refreshing experience. Match that with positive cash flow and strong growth projections and you have a winning combination. Glad to to have found a home in melaleuca.

Cons

Where much is given, much is expected. Be ready to work hard at melaleuca and continue to learn professionally in order to keep up with the talent.

"Melaleuca"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Sometimes too many hours weekends

Advice to Management

Overall a good company to work for