Melaleuca Reviews | Glassdoor

Melaleuca Reviews

Updated May 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The employee benefits are great including the awesome onsite restaurant and the free products each month- which I have fallen in love with (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits and longevity bonuses (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the objectives and goals from upper management aren't clearly discussed with employees (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay, favoritism, too many hours at the end of the month (35 hours as a part time worker, full time student (in 6 reviews)

"A great ride so far..."

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

I've really enjoyed working at Melaleuca. I've made a few strong friends here and have great coworkers in general. Have to say that some are the smartest pros I've worked with. There's little backbiting or political infighting, which is soo refreshing. Working in a complex company in 19 countries has been great. We're always tackling new challenges, and I have a lot of freedom to make suggestions and get things done. My supervisor asks for my input. Everybody is really friendly. The leadership team is experienced. Tough, but fair. They have "Idaho values" - hard working, straight shooters, honest.

Melaleuca's new headquarters is the nicest facility I've worked in. Some call it Hogwarts Castle - it's a really comfortable environment, and I love driving up to it. I use the fitness center and go to its exercise classes a few times a week. It's solid. The jogging path is fun on warm days. The food at the Melaleuca restaurant is pretty good. Prices are low. I love it has lots of healthy food options (and tons of unhealthy ones too). The new employee break room is cool (pool table, ping pong, games, etc.). My team gets together and plays there once in a while.

Cons

As good as it is, no place is perfect. Departments can be siloed, so it's not uncommon for one group to not know what the other is doing. Improved communication between departments and managers would be helpful.

Also, a good manager can make or break a work experience. I've had both here at Melaleuca. One person lifted me up for promotion, while a different one didn't do much to help my career. I see that employees working with quality managers seem to get promoted faster than those who don't have a champion. More training for managers could solve that problem. Overall, I've been treated pretty well, so I can't complain too hard.

Advice to Management

Overall, I'm glad to work for a global company, while living in the small town of Idaho Falls. Having previously lived in a much larger city, I've found the city to be way better than expected. This move has been great for my wife & kids.

A few points for improvement: More communication between department heads and managers would be helpful. Also, increase training for your supervisors & managers so they can operate consistently with regard to career advancement.

Melaleuca's CEO gave $1 million to employees in unexpected bonuses a few weeks ago. I walked away with an extra $1,000 in my pocket. People have been working hard to keep up with all of our growth. That was such a cool way to reward employees & say thank you. I'm hoping that happens again soon!

"Challenging, fun, exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

I’ve been at Melaleuca for almost 10 years and I love it.

It’s demanding work performed at a pace few have experienced, but that’s what makes it great. You get so much done here. The good news is, you can have real impact and make a huge difference on the business and in the lives of customers. Melaleuca is, without question, the most challenging (in a good way) and most rewarding environment I’ve ever worked in, including 3 Fortune 500 companies prior to joining the company.

Excellence is rewarded; mediocrity is not, thank goodness. The CEO demands excellence from his employees and himself, and won’t settle for anything less, and why should he? Customers won’t. At Melaleuca, you’re surrounded by people who value and strive for excellence. This creates a dynamic, exciting environment that brings out the best in people. In short, the culture at Melaleuca elevates your game.

We have fun at work, too. The people you’re working with maintain perspective, and there’s a good sense of humor in the culture that keeps things light when they need to be. I laugh every day at work. There’s outstanding leadership from the CEO who’s been at the helm for 30+ years. That’s a rarity these days, and it has reaped huge dividends for Melaleuca.

Be assured, the pace, the challenge, and the demands of the job aren’t for everyone--you’ve got to bring your “A game” everyday. When you do, Melaleuca is as good as it gets. You'll thrive and grow.
    The organization bends skillfully to create an outstanding experience for every customer and has a product portfolio that is the best I’ve ever seen.

If you want to challenge yourself and realize your full potential, Melaleuca is a great place.

Cons

If you don’t have a solid point of view supported by facts, you’ll lose the argument to other who do.

Advice to Management

Stay open to new ideas and different ways of getting to the desired outcome

"Company Growth=Career Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

I've been a part of the IT Department for the past 8+ years and continue to grow each and every day. Melaleuca provides a fast paced work environment that allows you to solve real business problems that have a direct impact on business results. It's also a very flat organization so there is regular exposure to the executive team and they actually know me by name. Working for a global company while living in Idaho Falls provides opportunities on a global scale while raising my family in a smaller town that has big city opportunities without the big city problems.

Cons

Could improve long-term planning. Continued growth and dynamic challenges create a sense of urgency that can push long-term planning to the side. If you like a fast pace and solving challenging business issues its easy to adapt. If you are one who wants to plod along and work without a sense of urgency you will struggle. Those types of employees tend to get frustrated and weed themselves out.

Advice to Management

Better planning to avoid last minute projects

"Manager"

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

Management has done a wonderful of hiring employees who are both fun to work with and passionate about excellence. We can have fun on the ball-field at night, and that just enhances our ability to collaborate at work. It's fun and rewarding to associate with people of other disciplines. Over the years my co-workers and bosses have helped me improve my knowledge level, performance and work satisfaction. It's a great feeling knowing that each day you are contributing, not only to your own success but to others' success as well.

Cons

Periodic deadlines can be high pressure. So much so that it is practically euphoric when you meet them. High fives and congratulations all around. It is really rewarding to challenge yourself and succeed together with people you enjoy associating with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to focus on good people. The HR department should get kudos for family oriented picnics, Christmas parties, and numerous other wonderful events as well as for their help in giving career guidance and administering a great benefits package. Keep those bonuses coming.

"One of the best if not the best employer in Idaho!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

One of the best if not the best employer in Idaho. Good environment and plenty of opportunities to grow! it has been incredible to see how much my career path has expanded. Vision, mission and culture of the company are not only concepts but practices. I really like how this company has small details for employees and their families.

Cons

I don't see any... I think that if there are any are self-imposed - example: working to much

Advice to Management

Continue to be accessible to staff members. Continue to develop internal leadership. Company can do better at publicizing the many great things that are offered to employees: wellness program, employee functions, etc.

"Great Opportunity for Growth and Advancment"

Current Employee - Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

Melaleuca is a great place for people who want jump in, learn, and make a difference. You are exposed to the challenges of keeping up with a growing business right from the start. Management is very willing to give responsibility to, and promote, someone who proves themselves early in their career.

Really fun to work with people who are as driven as me. It's nice to be excited to come to work each day!

Benefits are great as well. Insurance costs are extremely low for great coverage, free products every month are awesome, 401k match, quarterly profit sharing, and bonus program for all employees on each 5 year anniversary is amazing.

Cons

Things are moving really fast because of the growth and because of that planning and communication could be better at times.

Advice to Management

While I understand that things are growing fast and there are a lot of things going on, it would be helpful if we could get out in front of things a little more.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Everyone one is helpful and great to work with. The company is growing and while it is growing so are those that work with it.

Cons

It is a legacy company. For software there is a lot of maintenance work on a monolithic system.

Advice to Management

Give more importance to the IT Department.

"Independent Contractor"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best wellness products anywhere around

Cons

Some times not enough meetings

Advice to Management

Not any advice I think of

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

People are great and so are the products

Cons

month end and sitting for eight hours a day

Advice to Management

Management needs work stop treating that you are better then everyone else just because they have a higher position.

"If you have another option, take it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Melaleuca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick pointer for those using Glassdoor to get a
    feel for what it's like to work for Melaleuca, there are 4 types of people who write reviews here:
    1. "Marketing Executives" - these are not actual employees, but customers who are building a business based on referring other customers to Melaleuca. They have no idea what goes on on the corporate side.
    2. "Customer Care" or "Wellness" representatives - these are call center workers who get paid hourly and have little to no exposure to the corporate side.
    3. Corporate employees. Naturally there are people from the corporate side (myself included) who dare to write a review. You will recognize these because they are often more detailed, and most express similar frustrations.
    4. Human Resources at Melaleuca - I'm fairly certain HR gets on here to write 5 star reviews with little to no content.

Back to the "Pros"

The product check is nice. The health insurance is fair. Depending on what department you're in, you might get some good work experience.

Cons

This is a company that is extremely bureaucratic.
    They move slow, they are way behind technologically, and out of touch with the outside world. The CEO is a rancher who seems to view both his customers and his employees like cattle who can be corralled and controlled with the right prod. For the customers, the prod is gimmicky over-priced products, and an ever-changing compensation plan (did I mention the company is basically an MLM). For employees, the prod is pathetically low pay with an ever un-attainable bonus, bait and switch fringe benefits, and the constant fear that the company is watching them (and the company is watching them). No one will ever reach their true potential at Melaleuca, no matter how talented they are, because no one is trusted to make a decision. Everyone is considered totally accountable for their area of the business, yet no one is given any authority to make decisions or autonomy to innovate. Everything EVERYTHING has to go through the top for approval. It's dysfunctional. There is also a paranoia that the company isn't getting enough productivity out of people, so every movement is tracked throughout the building, internet access is highly restricted and monitored, and no one is allowed to VPN in from home. They are always watching.

I've never heard of anyone leaving without getting a significant pay increase (we're talking 40%+). It's not uncommon for people to double their salary by doing the same job function at a legitimate company, even when they stay in South East Idaho. The only people getting paid close to fair wages are those who shop around for another job, forcing Melaleuca to complete with an outside offer. Work life balance is a joke. The company prides itself on being "lean" - which basically means you'll be doing the work of 1.5 to 2.5 FTE's. Throw in the high rate of employee turn-over that requires you to either fill in for people or constantly work with new trainees, and you can forget about seeing your family.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Read the feedback you get from employee
    surveys, exit interviews, and the internet - then do something about it! If I posted a list of the disgruntled employees with whom I have had personal conversations, you would be shocked at how many of your most "loyal" "valued" people are looking for the right opportunity to get out. Pay your people fairly. You expect the world from your employees, throw them a bone. A few thousand dollars can mean the world to people and make them feel validated and motivated to succeed. Your profit margins are more than healthy, you can afford it. Trust your people. You can't run a company alone, stop trying to. Hire good people and get out of their way. This will drive creativity and job satisfaction, and free up the exec team to focus on big picture stuff. Look outside. Stop assuming you operate in a vacuum. Look at what competitors and industry leaders are doing well and learn from them. It's not 1997 anymore! Adaptation and innovation are more important in today's fast paced business climate than ever. Or keep doing what you've been doing whether it works or not, and keep churning out frustrated customers and employees.