Melissa & Doug Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Doug Bernstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Salary, casual dress code (you could wear pajama bottoms and bunny slippers and nobody would bat an eye), great coworkers (in 5 reviews)

• Everyone was great and it's a friendly environment, also good pay (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You will hear about it if you exceed 30 min (in 3 reviews)

• 5 hours a day w/only a 30 minute break (in 3 reviews)

"Support Sales Analyst"

Current Employee - Sales Support Analyst in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Support Analyst in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet with more than one person during the hiring process. I loved this because, it allowed me to get a feel for the people I would be working with and the work environment.

Cons

The work hours are a bit long, but they are willing to work with you on this

"Make sure you know what your getting into!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dress Code, Discount on Toys

Cons

Most of the review are dead on. They try and claim to be changing but in 3years there was changes. The over glowing ones are from their HR Dept, but you should be able to figure that out.

You start with 3 weeks vacation and two sick days, on the flip side there are only 6 paid holidays. This 3 weeks includes vacation, sick time, personal time, dr appts, kid events.

The salary seems to be above normal. The reason for this is you work 49 hrs a week (10 a day M-Thurs and 9 on Friday with a half hour lunch). So compared to a normal company you are working an extra 36 hours a month. They are clockwatchers, you must work the 49hrs. There is also no 401K match. There is no growth and annual you will be lucky to get 2.5% increase

There are cameras but I never felt like I was being watched.

They are honest people about the culture, ask the right questions and then see if its a right fit for you. Some people love it most felt trapped. This wouldn't be a bad job if you were older or at a point in your life where you just needed some part time busy work. This isn't meant to be a career.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't mattter

3. "An authentic company living the mission!"

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love being part of a company that strives to live it's mission internally and externally!
    There are some amazingly fun people working here!
    There is a great discount on toys!
    Great working environment- wonderful managers who encourage collaboration and teamwork.
    An opportunity to make the world better for children!

Cons

A long day, but knowing the work we do makes a difference for children everywhere, makes it an extremely productive day with time well spent for the greater good.

Advice to Management

This is such a fun place to work...keep hiring great people with passion, especially those outside of the industry, to continue innovating and creating great mission-driven content and products!

4. "Stable Company with Bright Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, talented workforce; a mission to proudly stand behind ("Take Back Childhood"); GREAT employee discounts; fun environment; casual dress code; awesome people.

Cons

Benefits and technology, but improvements on the horizon

Advice to Management

Keep driving the mission!

5. "A hidden gem!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual setting. I can wear sneakers to work everyday! They order lunch for you and will deduct it right from you paycheck.

Cons

It is too soon to tell.

6. "Fun Company, Looking inward!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new member of the M&D team I was pleasantly surprised at the welcoming and friendly environment. The people are all fantastic - everyone has introduced themselves and they've all been extremely helpful. Both founders have taken so much time to get to know me and help educate me on the products, brand and mission. They truly care about their employees and are open to hearing feedback and working daily to listen and act on it. Leadership is committed to making it a great place to work and that has been refreshing.

Cons

I'm still trying to figure that out! I think there is a real commitment to employees and leadership can continue making that understood.

Advice to Management

Continue recognizing the great work of employees and communicating the mission.

"Horrible! Horrible!"

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's nothing nice to be said about this company. Somehow I thought a place that made toys and puzzles would be led by kind people. That could not be further from the truth.

Cons

Doug is an arrogant joke. He interviewed me at his home because he's so interested in showing how wealthy he lives. (The decorating was HORRIBLE.) They treat people terribly. I tried to warn a friend who was taking a position with this company. She didn't listen and left after a few months.

Advice to Management

Grow up and don't think so much of yourself. You're not that great.

"Can't Think of a Worse Company to Work for. Put Your Sneakers on and Run as Fast as You Can!"

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

meeting a few sweet people
    a paycheck, (that was minimal and crappy insurance deductions)
    relatively peaceful environment if you minded your own business and didn't get involved with anyone or anything there
    great discount on toys

Cons

Hours are inhumane
    Bosses are dishonest and jerks, will lie and promise things for months to get the company in a better position and then leave you out to dry - don't trust them for anything!!
    Feels like a slave factory
    Cameras everywhere
    Never an ounce of fresh air in the building, but constant chemical "cleaners" spraying
    Co-workers are pretty much all "stuck" there, unsatisfied and overworked employees doesn't make for a happy environment
    miserably lean benefits
    rigid policies and unrealistic expectations for humans who have families and lives
    horrible place to be, what a nightmare every night, knowing the next morning you were stuck going back there again for 10 more hours!!
    clockwatchers
    cheap as cheap can be

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, not work horses and machines. Look out for the health and happiness of your employees and they will work more efficiently for you in the future. Give a little back to the people making you millions for you; a Christmas bonus wouldn't hurt your wallets and would mean a lot to your employees who struggle financially.

"THE WORST! EVER!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, workers are nice

Cons

Managers Owners Culture Expectations Benefits

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly, with respect and consistency.

"Employer of last resort"

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck in tough times

Cons

The negatives mentioned in other reviews are true. The owners have achieved great success and it is hard to understand why they are not more generous with their employees. I am writing this review so that others are not misled by the glowing positive ones.

Advice to Management

Move away from third world mindset in treatment of employees. Provide reasonable healthcare and 401k match. Change from 9 1/2 hour to 8 hour work day. You will do better in the long run.