Melissa & Doug Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Bernstein

Pros
  • Amazingly talented, well educated and super nice group of people (in 3 reviews)

• Good pay, no travel, no dress code (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Suffice it to say that M&D is the most unethical employer I have ever encountered (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, little vacation, bad health insurance, no 401 k match, micromanagement, constant performance surveillance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Labeling Department"

Current Employee - Labeling in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Labeling in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Melissa & Doug part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to learn the production industry such as labeling, packaging and wrapping. It is very good job experience for this Stanislaus / San Joaquin County.

Cons

Have to commute the closest facility is Tracy, CA -- and my car is not a fuel saver.

Advice to Management

Know this job is hard enough since never been in production have no big advice except for breathe.

"A review with no emotional baggage, just facts..."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and it stops there...

Cons

The worst environment possible where you are pushed to the brink of insanity by being on the phone 9.5 hours a day w/only a 30 minute break. Management does not care about their employees, terrible insurance for a large company, no 401k or bonus potential. The high salary is just to get you in the door and then you are screwed for your life there and if you get a 2% raise for crushing your numbers, that's all you are going to get. Very clicky and full of backstabbers. Waste of my time/life

Advice to Management

Grow up and take care of the people that pretty much built your castle in Westport CT. They never listen to advice so why go beyond the above.

"You've got to be a masochist to work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denville, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denville, NJ

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The big money they throw at you is there way to keep you coming back each day, after the brutal work load you're required to fulfil each day! And with very little praise whatsoever...

Cons

How you are treated if you haven't been a veteran for at least 7-10 years there. It's very cliquey and there is a lot of backstabbing. Only 30 min for lunch. Not a good work atmosphere. It's a "what have you done for me lately" type environment!

Advice to Management

Quit and hire some real managers. Someone with a heart as well as actual concern for the employees, to better fill existing management's shoes!

"Great product, not-so-great culture"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The toys really are educational and can more or less sell themselves
    -Competitive salary

Cons

-Terribly high pressure environment, many people stay on because of the high salary but in 6 months I saw seven people get fired/"let go" for underperforming unreasonable goals.

Advice to Management

Employees shouldn't feel like they're being spied on. Enough with the microphones and cameras.

"National Sales Manager"

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Stratford, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was great, co-workers are an amazing group of people. Job security is there if the employee does their part. Comp time for travel to trade shows. Raises each year for those that performed.

Cons

Long hours but the pay was good so it was worth it. Benefits could be better of course.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns and try to be a little more understanding.

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not the worst salary during a bad economy

Cons

Horrendous management, They do seem to value or want to keep their employees High turnover. Rude people. Don't know how I lasted 1.5 years Ew.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat people. Maybe then they'd want to stay longer and would have nicer comments.

"Micromanaged company"

Current Employee - Wholesale Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Wholesale Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trade shows. The pay is alright.

Cons

10 hour days, bad micromanagement, constant watching and criticizing. No paid pregnancy leave? Not even one day. Bad insurance

Advice to Management

Be more human. Consider people's life and priorities.

"No respect, no honesty, no thank you."

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Support in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Support in Wilton, CT

Pros

The co-workers I sat around were friendly and treated me like family, though even they would express how much hated working there. Sadly some are still there because they have families to support.

Cons

- 10 hour workdays and only half hour lunch breaks and somehow they found a way to make that legal
    - paid time off, but you need to use that for snow days when you can't make it safely to work (otherwise you need to go in)
    - no actual culture, no way for employees to bond and get to know everyone
    - management doesn't care about you. You try to set up a meeting with them and they give you the run around for 2 months straight ( this was the last straw)
    - they do not appreciate or reward hardwork
    - they force you to be dishonest when speaking with clients who are completely in the right for being upset because they were over shipped product, or got a bunch of product they did not order
    - most of the sales people are complete jerks, and if you support them directly GOOD LUCK.
    - most clientele who are in debt with M&D are usually in that predicament because of the horrible sales tactics being practiced by the employees and being condoned by management and then the company has the audacity to call them up and collect money or threaten to send them to collections
    - and finally do not get me started on the interview process. You work full days on your interview FOR FREE & they make you jump through hoops doing all these irrelevant and idiotic tasks. I had to package puzzles and label the package correctly. I was interviewing for a customer service position.

I took the job at Melissa & Doug because I was young and out of college. Good pay for someone who just graduated. I would not recommend more than a year, that's about as much as I could stomach before I decided leave and realized I was much more valuable elsewhere. So happy not be there anymore.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. Do not give them the run around. Try and establish some kind of culture that will make people want to come to work and not feel like they're going to prison for the day. You invest in your employees and you will reap the benefits.

"It's not what they portray"

Former Employee - Inside Sales In Wilton CT in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales In Wilton CT in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You do not take work home. Some great co-workers although you rarely get to speak with them

Cons

They monitor everything. How many calls you make. How much time you spend between calls. They give you this info daily and speak to you if you are not meeting numbers. They like 100 calls in a 9 and 1/2 HR work day with less than two minutes between calls. Oh yea and you get a half HR lunch. And they mean a half HR not 35 minutes. You will hear about it if you exceed 30 min. You are encouraged to push product on customers and push hard. They have an inside joke they call rough shipping where salespeople just send customers product they did not order. Must have been a mistake by our warehouse. Just hold onto the product it will sell is the line they give you to use. If the customer gets really upset the salesperson dumps the account to a newbie to clean it up. Leave your morals and sense of ethics at the door.

Advice to Management

There really is none. They will not change. They are so self absorbed. You can pass one of the two owners in the hall and rarely will you even get a hello from them.

"manager of operation"

Former Employee - Manager of Operation in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager of Operation in New York, NY

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere where customers and employees interact on a daily basis witch leads to instant feedback and great customer satisfaction.

Cons

lacking leadership from the top. great business plan that was never implemented .slow to react to event witch created low moral.