Melton Truck Lines Employee Reviews about "home time"

Updated Oct 21, 2021

Found 17 of over 148 reviews

4.1
Melton Truck Lines Chairman and CEO Bob Peterson
Bob Peterson

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Awesome company family atmosphere good pay(in 16 reviews)
  • "Driver benefits are great, first time I've felt like my employer really cared about me and my family.(in 9 reviews)
  • "money is good for a OTR company(in 5 reviews)
  • "Great Training, Great Mileage Pay, Fantastic Equipment.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "home time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great company

Oct 14, 2021 - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits they treat you like family

Cons

Not much time off or home time

Melton Truck Lines Response

Thank you for the great review. We are glad you have felt like family. Our drivers make our company great, so thank you for all you do!

2. 4.0

Good Company

Oct 21, 2021 - Truck Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent miles, Good pay and fulfilling!

Cons

My only knock on Melton would be that there could be more home time.

Melton Truck Lines Response

Hi thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you had a positive experience with Melton. We understand that an over-the-road career can be hard, and hometime is important.

3. 5.0

Best ever

Aug 5, 2021 - Truck Driver in Fort Myers, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good miles good money 💰

Cons

Home time and home time

Melton Truck Lines Response

Thank you for the great feedback!

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Melton review

Oct 30, 2020 - Class A Truck Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Almost everything, pay, trucks, miles! Good starter company!

Cons

Home time Is only one day for 7

Advertising and Social Media

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your feedback.

5. 3.0

Good and Bad, It is what you make of it

Jan 23, 2020 - OTR Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice Terminals, Higher than average pay including other additional things like tarp and multi-stop that can increase earnings. Good introduction to Flatbed and over the road. Kenworths were nice, Freightliners were showing their age. Most of office staff in Tulsa were nice and polite. First DM was awesome. I would tell new drivers to go here, just be careful and stand up for yourself to Maintenance and dispatch. I did like Melton and appreciated the opportunity they extended to me. Had my head been in a different place I might still be there.

Cons

I was given a truck with several bad engine leaks at Orientation, was told "have Tulsa take care of it in a few weeks if you get by there." Arrived at Tulsa, immediately went through inspection where they identified same issues and told me to arrange to have it fixed myself when I took hometime and sent on my way again. One of these leaks was the main pressure line for the fuel rail on the engine. Truck interior was also filthy and had rancid melted butter coating inside of Fridge. Truck had supposedly just been serviced, cleaned, and detailed, somehow I don't believe that. My DM was informed of these things immediately, as was The maintenance supervisor at Tulsa. I was finally given another trucks 3 weeks later after making a stink about it almost daily to my DM. Funny thing was they didn't fix the issue in Tulsa becasue they said I didn't have the time, though I was there for 2 days and then took a load North and sat in Gary Indiana for another 54 hours waiting to unload. My trip planning was poor, sitting for me was common. In a 3 week span I had a 54 hour wait to unload, a 22 hour wait to get loaded, and then another 21 hour wait for my DM to find me a load after they asked me to hurry across Indiana and Illinois as quickly as possible so I could unload early and pick up a load that "was waiting." On my first trip home I was contacted by my DM and asked to drop everything and go do a repower so another driver wouldn't have to sit and wait until Monday to be unloaded. I was paid for the repower but its pretty inconsiderate to bother drivers at home after being out almost 4 weeks. Last gripe why do you make drivers purchase/make their own edge protectors and V-boards. Yes the cardboard ones you are given at terminals are okay but they're really single use and god forbid they get wet. No driver should leave the yard without adequate load protectors. It is after-all your straps and chains we're trying to protect. My first laod out of Birmingham needed V-boards but with 20 minutes to get across town to get loaded, I had no time to purchase the materials, let alone make them and the Birmingham terminal had nothing in the way of dunnage let alone v board material. Home time is an issue, but any driver with some time and expereince should expect to be out a few weeks. However, there are many OTR Flatbed companies getting drivers home every week so I don't think the "this is an OTR company," line Melton likes to quote is very valid. In the end though that final 21 hour wait to get a load was the end of it for me, I saw a pattern developing that wasn't being addressed and I didn't see it changing. So I took the truck back to a terminal and left.

2 people found this review helpful

Advertising and Social Media

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback and letting us know about your maintenance issue. We are sorry that you had to deal with this. Melton provides the best equipment possible for our drivers however, all trucks have maintenance issues now and then. Please know that we are having our Maintenance Department look into this to prevent this from happening in the future.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good flat bed compsany

Jun 22, 2019 - Truck Driver in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

money is good for a OTR company

Cons

not much home time , 2 weeks or more to make good money

Social Media and Advertising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! Since we are an irregular route OTR carrier most of our drivers are out for at least 2 weeks.

7. 4.0

Truck driver

Mar 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Newer, nice equipment. Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Not enough home time. Forced dispatch

Social Media and Advertising Coordinator

Thank you for your review! Home time can be difficult since we only do OTR but we do offer unlimited domicile changes for alot of drivers, please be sure to check with your DM to see if you qualify!

8. 1.0

Proceed with caution

Apr 15, 2018 - OTR Flatbed Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Training, Great Mileage Pay, Fantastic Equipment. Easy to reach management It is great that they will Bank Home Time.

Cons

ALTHOUGH milleage pay is HIGH you dont receive many miles... unless you kiss a lot of grits ( I had 34 resets every weekend one time sat for over 50 hours) Several weeks I Brought home $400 checks (Wasnt even on Hometime those weeks.) When you come home (depending on where you live) you get home really late and they still count that home time day. They absolutely do not give a crap about your family safety in Catastrophic events I.E. Hurricanes only concerned with the Equipment.

Social Media and Advertising Coordinator

We regret to hear that you would not recommend us to others, but we would like to clarify a few things. First of all, we do care about drivers and their families, especially about their about safety. We believe you are referring to the most recent hurricane-Hurricane Harvey. When large storms or natural disasters are predicted to hit we begin planning and strategizing the next best moves for our drivers. Which includes making sure we move loads more inland and that we do not have drivers in those areas. We also make note of who lives in these affected areas and reach out to the drivers to ensure they are safe and that their families are safe. In fact, when Hurricane Harvey occurred our company VP’s personally called each and every driver who lived or had family on the affected or nearby areas. We gave aid to those drivers and ensured no one was forgotten. Melton was committed to assisting in personal recovery efforts for our drivers and we also donated over $17,000 to the United Way of Greater Houston and the Houston Food Bank. We wish that while with us you would have reached out to our Driver Relations Dept. and they could have looked at your miles and home time and seen if there was something that could have been done.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

driver

Mar 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

DM always tried to help, pay is good and tarp pay is the best always someone around to help you

Cons

they say they trust you but don't, IE camera watching me, if you don't trust me why let me have the truck. Old style thinking, they say they care about the drivers but you have some of the worst home time out there, very few companies do 1 day a week anymore...we all work for the same company , if I work 6 days a week so should everyone else

Social Media and Advertising Coordinator

We are sorry to see that you would not recommend us. In regards to the drive cams, we have those for safety. They also serve to eliminate fraud and exonerate drivers by showing exactly what did happen in the event of a traffic collision. It is not because we do not trust drivers, it is because we do not trust the public to falsely accuse a truck driver of fault in an accident. They are not a spy tool, in fact we encourage drivers that do not feel comfortable to cover it up at night when they are off duty/sleeping. It is also never our Safety Departments goal to get driver’s in trouble. They are there for the safety of our drivers and other drivers on the road. We also know that being out for at least 2 weeks at a time can be hard but we are an irregular route OTR carrier driving all 48 states. We wish that while with us you would have reached out about your concerns to our Driver Relations Dept. and perhaps we could have shown you how much we do trust our drivers because we know they are some of the safest on the roads.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Rewarding

Nov 4, 2017 - Truck Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great training and Pay. Monthly safety and fuel bonus. New equipment that is well maintained. Dispatchers and office staff know drivers by name and are very helpful.

Cons

Irregular routes and inconsistent home time. Usually wait a few hours, even until the next day to get a load.

Social Media and Advertising Coordinator

Thank you for your review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews