Meltwater Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meltwater CEO & Founder Jorn Lyseggen
Jorn Lyseggen

Pros
  • Meltwater offers a strong collaborative work environment (in 21 reviews)

• The company culture is unmatched, there is never a dull moment at Meltwater (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be extremely stressful due to monthly quotas - also work/life balance is difficult (in 30 reviews)

• little to no work life flexibility (in 12 reviews)

"Great"

Former Employee - Biz Dev/Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Biz Dev/Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture
    great leadership
    leaders truly invest in developing young talent

BEWARE OF ANGRY REVIEWS - reviews that claim sexism and bro culture that does not allow women to move up are completely unfounded. Many women were promoted to roles with very high responsibility at an early age. I have never seen so many women under 30 with so much responsibility.

The issue is that sales at Meltwater is not easy. Many people do not make it so instead of just saying "ah it's not for me" they start blaming the company" and post ridiculous reviews.

Cons

competitive space, must work hard to make sales

"Position is sold to employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- you meet very nice people, and become very close with your team. Pretty much all I can think of

Cons

- day ends at 530 but you are told/expected to work longer, without overtime, and its a problem if you leave when the day is over
    - the turnover is ridiculous because people realized they were sold something completely different when they started
    - you are expected to be on the phone day in and day out, and do client work on your own time which piles up extremely quickly
    - management has no training to become a manager
    - its basically a high school, cliques, drama, who is with who, and its extremely easy to not fit in if you don't partake in social activities because you have a life outside of work... which is unheard of here
    - no work life balance at all .. perfect example the 'norm' is to have meetings 530 on a Friday, and no one is bothered by it because this is their entire life
    - their EOY goal is to retain more employees... enough said.

"Take or leave it"

Current Employee - Product Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is a draw. Meltwater has great health insurance and employee events such as an innovation day and frequent breaks for drinking events or games. There is also flexibility in working hours and often food is brought in (along with already existing snacks). Startup like feel.On the surface - a great company.

Cons

The drama. There seems to be a lot of silos and emotionally charges decisions from upper management, which is comprised of mostly sales professionals that have worked there for a few years that - to be honest are not qualified for the positions they hold (from an educational standpoint). This is part of why major decisions are poorly thought out and emotionally charged. If you have strong ideas and like to challenge the norm this is NOT place for you. Management bruises easy from suggestions from subordinates. And although there is a preconception of flexible work hours - the time you take will be marked against you.

Advice to Management

Try and be more tactful and transparent with ongoing plans. Try and not make impulsive decisions based on little to no data. Also would help to depersonalize feedback.

5. "Sales Consultant-International Management Training Program"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meltwater provides one of the most inclusive environments of any employer I've had thus far. As an entry-level employee, I get access to top managers and other experienced veterans, who are all more than willing to share their business wisdom and expertise. I genuinely enjoy my coworkers, and feel like Meltwater treats us incredibly well. It's a company thats really bought in to both my personal and professional growth, and I know that if I'm willing to work hard, there's nothing impeding me from earning more responsibility and more money.

Cons

There is so much talent at the sales level, it can become difficult to advance to the upper tiers of management. There is a bit of a brain drain at the middle-management level, because, for example, there are 10-15 incredibly qualified candidates competing for 1-2 open managerial spots, forcing some people to leave if they want to experience the upper management experience they deserve.

Advice to Management

Continue pouring in to your employees as you already do, and continue to grow the brand, our image, and our product offerings so there's not such a limited number of director spots for employees to grow in to.

6. "Great Product, People, and Culture"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meltwater is a special place. Not many work environments and organizational cultures are comparable. You quickly become great friends with your co-workers, work events regularly take place allowing you to enjoy victories and learn from your experiences as a team. Management is directly aligned with your performance giving you a very talented and well experienced mentor to learn from throughout your career.

You are competitive with your co-workers but in a friendly way. Everyone working there wants to win and pushes each other to accomplish as much as possible. Being surrounded by Meltwater people everyday will push you and make you a better person all around.

From a business perspective, they are very unique in the sense that sales consultants prospect, call, login, and close leads from day one. By controlling your entire pipe and learning closing skills from day 1, Meltwater employees typically far exceed all others out there in terms of business acumen, and professional development. In addition to an exceptional management team, if you look at ex Meltwater employees and where they end up, they are director of sales at global fortune 500 companies or at promising startups. If you buy into the company they return your hard work 150%.

It's a great company to launch your business career and offers exceptional upside to employees both from a compensation and promotional perspective. Many of my closest friends still there are on track to be managing entire teams within there second or third year's in the company.

Cons

More snacks & refill the keg and cold brew more frequently.

Advice to Management

More frequently support senior sellers with automated inbound lead generation to give them more time to manage SC's and close deals.

"Work hard play hard, only the ambitious need apply"

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Meltwater full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For some context, I joined Meltwater in New York in 2010, starting as a Sales Consultant making cold calls and learning the ropes of sales - over the next 6 years I progressed into a Sales Manager, and then Managing Director role where the focus shifts away from sales and as the title suggests, more Managing and Directing. If successful in both sales and management, this is the typical career progression you can expect within Meltwater.

The company is like no other I've known. While "work hard, play hard" is a bit of a cliché, it applies perfectly to the environment at Meltwater. You only get what you give. It's not a 9 to 5 job where you clock in and out when it's time to go home - it's tough, it's fun, it's stressful, it's exciting, and you only come up for air when you're satisfied with the day's work that you've done. Slackers need not apply. Those without ambition need not apply. There are monthly targets, and if you don't follow the guidance of your manager and/or put in the hours needed to succeed, you simply won't.

Off the phone, the company enables you to travel all over the US, working out of other offices for a couple of days (they're in most major cities), management summits every 3 months, and internationally once / year to "share ideas" (party) with your international counterparts. The company has a good balance between getting its pound of flesh from employees, but also rewarding them with a decent salary, expense accounts and team building events.

You will make friends for life, most likely hang out with your colleagues at the weekends, and most importantly feel a huge sense of family - like at no other place of work. It's more than just a job, it's a career and (for the better) becomes your way of life.

So why leave?
    Although my decision, I was sad to walk away from all of the above. Towards the end of my time at Meltwater I found myself in a position where I was no longer learning from those immediately around me, or progressing as quickly as I wanted to at 32, so felt the need for a change. Another opportunity presented itself, and (perhaps for being in sales) I seized it in the moment and have never looked back. I wouldn't say this is a typical situation but do see the same thing with some of my mates still at the company, so one I think the company needs to plan for to avoid it repeating itself with other long standing employees.

To give you an idea of what to expect from upper management: they did all they could to accommodate me and find another role where I would be learning new things and developing different skill sets - even once it was decided I was leaving they offered to help me with paperwork and salary negotiations at my new company. I thought this was a real touch of class, and true to form with what I'd experienced throughout.

To summarize working at Meltwater. In just a few words... You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll party. You'll do it all again on the 1st of the month. One thing for sure is you won't regret it.

Cons

If you want to do sales, like making money and have big career ambitions, there are no cons. If deep down you know you're not a hard worker, like sitting within the confines of your comfort zone and don't want a career in sales, the cons are endless and this isn't the company for you.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to keep doing what you're doing as it's clearly working well. Advice for product development team would be to listen to the ever-changing needs of the client and make updates accordingly. This started to happen, and should continue in my opinion.

8. "Great place to learn and grow both professionally and personally."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture is awesome. 99% of employees start in an entry level sales role and are promoted based on performance and future potential.

Cons

Base pay could be higher. Communication from upper management could be more consistent at times. Nothing is that bad though.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who have been at the company for a long time monetarily.

"Meltwater Review"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Meltwater breeds successful sales people. The office culture creates an enjoyable work environment that makes you excited to go to work everyday.

Cons

Competitive sales metrics. Need to have drive to go above and beyond quotas.

10. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity. There is no other job out of college where you will get this much opportunity for promotion and compensation.

Cons

Hard work. It can be hard to stay motivated with the challenges but it is a good life lesson if you can.

Advice to Management

only hire people who are willing to put in the work.

"Great company to work for, but can be stressful"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with will become some of your best friends - you will also learn extremely valuable sales, conversation, business and other professional skills. Also competitive and makes you want to constantly keep improving yourself at work.

Cons

Can be extremely stressful due to monthly quotas - also work/life balance is difficult. You will be spending a lot of time at the office and also extracurricular activities with your coworkers.