Melville Johnson, PC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
George Melville Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun people to work with and great work experience."

Current Employee - Attorney in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started at the firm recently and have had the opportunity for some great hands on experience working with clients and opposing counsel. The new Officer Manager and Senior Attorney have been very helpful and are friendly. I had previously worked only in state employment law and the firm has been very supportive in transitioning me to the administrative procedures for federal employment law.

Cons

The government agencies can take a long time to respond to requests and will frequently send the wrong information when they do.

Advice to Management

Bring in more of your barbecue!

2. "Happy to work for Melville Johnson P.C."

Current Employee - Client Intake Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Intake Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice starting salary, good benefits, pleasant and professional work environment. I am thankful for the useful knowledge and experience I gain on a daily basis, the attorneys are dedicated, driven, and always willing to lend a helping hand. Every day is an opportunity to better myself both personally and professionally. I take pride in knowing that we are providing our clients with excellent representation and helping our clients with their legal matters.

Cons

The central midtown location is always busy which can make traffic an issue but other than that I do not have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Update employee-training manuals.

"I currently work at Melville Johnson, P.C."

Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Melville Johnson, PC full-time

Pros

Professional, supportive work environment with great pay and health benefits. This firm invests in their employees during a time when not many firms are willing to train and develop young attorneys. There is definitely the opportunity for attorneys to gain a lot of knowledge and experience in litigation and federal employment law at this firm. I have gained more experience at my time here than many of my peers that I graduated from law school with. I also like the fact that management at the firm does not micro-manage every second of my day.

Cons

Do not schedule time off around the time of a hearing or a trial. Litigation can be time consuming and requires a great deal of time management. Also, working with opposing counsel can be challenging in that they are often slow to respond to requests and will not comply with the administrative judge's orders.

Advice to Management

Try investing in more ways to engage potential clients via the internet and social media.

"Must Question Recent Positive Reviews"

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure I can make a single positive comments about this organization. Their office is at a nice location in Midtown. But that is the only Pro.

Cons

I do not understand how this company can call itself ethical. I did not see management do a lick of work or give any positive support to its staff in my brief stint there. In fact, I found them condescending at best, abusive at worst. They were away from the office more than they were in it. It has been a revolving door of attorneys and most of them did not work there long enough to exhaust pre-trial procedures, let alone fully litigate a federal claim.

Advice to Management

Have to agree with what others have written. Get out of the game! You are making a negative contribution to the legal profession. You have zero people skills in a profession than demands excellence in people skills. The time to develop those skills passed you by a long time ago, so do the profession a favor and get out of the game.

"Wait, are they really still in business?"

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary/ benefits for the 2-3 months you will work there. Use it like unemployment pay- something to get you by until you get a real job.

Cons

Everything else. Nothing positive comes from that place. Irrational behavior, unrealistic expectations, and an overall negative environment. If you are preparing to interview there, PLEASE inquire about the turnover and hope that they are honest about it... though I doubt they will be. Ask how long their longest CURRENT employee has been there!

Advice to Management

Become "silent partners" and just stay down in Newnan and let someone else take over... you are too far gone to even try to fix.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Attorney in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No disciplinary history per the Georgia Bar site.

Cons

Reputation re allegations of conduct (in local, state politics) will attach to YOU; Reputation as employer, now advertising anonymously on Craigslist for 2 attorney openings (2013) supports statements made in 2012 reviews that this place is a revolving door for the reasons stated in those reviews, so you should run like hell. 401K? Partnership? It doesn't sound like anyone stays long enough to even take their vacation time (allegedly available--after 6 months).

Advice to Management

Work on your people skills? (Oh, right you're never the problem are you; it's always somebody else). You know the type.

"Rapid turnover and poor, unsuccessful leadership."

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is little reason to work for this firm except for the awful legal market. This place is truly a revolving door.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover and many attorneys have only lasted for only a month or a few months. The leadership makes confusing decisions that do not inspire confidence. The firm insists that no attorney miss any day (or time) within the first six months for any reason. The leadership treats employees with disrespect.

Advice to Management

Do not have unrealistic and unreasonable expectations. Accept more responsibility. Stop treating employees with disrespect.

"You're Better Off Unemployed!"

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really. You'll get a decent salary & they'll hire you with little to no experience. But it's really not worth it, at least not if you are going in expecting a "real job". If you need a resume builder it's okay, but don't expect to stay long... job search the whole time you're there. You may think I'm just jaded or I was fired for cause, but just ask around, every former employee will back this up.

Cons

Everything. The Partner is ridiculous. He constantly gives conflicting direction, he assists in no way on the cases, yet inserts himself just enough to say he's involved. There is an Extremely high turnover, the numbers are astounding. Overall you're met with unrealistic expectations, the 'bosses' are not family friendly, almost all the clients are unhappy clients, one of the biggest issues id the sheer disrespect shown by the partner and his partner..... its an overall toxic environment.

Advice to Management

I honestly wouldn't know where to start...

9. "I learned how to be a lawyer here"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Melville Johnson, PC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am not sure what the compliants are about, but I worked there for 2 years quite a while ago. I worked closely with the owner, we tried cases together, and I learened how to litigate. This palce is a training ground for attorneys. If you do not like litigation, this is not the place for you. I was picked up by a medium sized firm becuase of my experience and paid substantially more. I left that firm and am now a partner in another medium sized firm.

Cons

Lots of times you have to make independent decisions on your own. The owner is nice enough, but there is really nowhere to go unless he sells you the firm to you. Small environment means that you can't hide your mistakes.

Advice to Management

Hang in there and keep it up!

"Horrible"

Pros

A good reason to work at GMJ is you want to get disbarred and have a tainted reputation in the Atlanta legal community.

Cons

The environment feels like being an involuntary member of the Mafia.

Advice to Management

We do not reap what we sow. We reap more than we sow. l