Memorial Blood Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Donald C. Berglund

1. "Highly Mission Oriented and Motivated Non-Profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Memorial Blood Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people across all departments are fairly easy to work with and senior leadership makes a concerted effort to bridge communication gaps between the front lines and the very top. Most everyone is welcoming and that makes the job as painless as it can be to walk into in the morning. You often get the feeling that your colleagues and management really does care about you as a person.
    At the end of the day you drink the kool aid and understand that your efforts really ARE going towards saving lives, and that means a lot when you come here from a fortune 500 company.

Cons

Depending on your department you either have an abundance of options to move your career forwards or you have absolutely nowhere to go to at all starting at ground zero.
    The departments are lean and picking up the slack from colleagues can become trying, especially with the continuously floating several years long projects taking up focus across the company.
    There seems to be a major lack of communication and accountability in the middle tier positions and it causes major productivity loss and project slowdowns, this is most evident in the more service oriented departments.
    Though it is stressed and it is attempted every quarter, there is a complete and utter lack of a combined work culture.
    Aside from the Call Center there is a distinct lack of cultural diversity across the entirety of the company.
    In my role specifically there is a considerable lack of work/life balance and compensation.

Advice to Management

You've made it a priority in recent years to bridge the gap between Senior Management and the Front Lines, keep at it. Trim and re-organize your leadership as needed but remember that a leader does not necessarily need to be nice as much as they need to be concise and effective.
    Continually ask for feedback. And remember that your strength is your Mission as well as your commitment to your Donors and your Employees, LISTEN to them.

"Needs to look at itself and make serious changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Memorial Blood Centers (More than 3 years)

Pros

MBC has some really great people working for the company and they do save lives. I personally had a supportive manager who gave me a good work/life balance and provided autonomy.

Cons

Due to changes in the industry many positions are eliminated and extra work is put on those who remain. My job description was changed after I started working there and although I enjoyed what I did, it was not challenging enough to remain long-term. There are too many egos to contend with to get a job done right the first time and too many people in positions they are not good at simply because of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Your assets are the ones performing the duties leading to a quality product and you need to find a way to treat them accordingly. There is a major disconnect from senior leadership and those deemed lower on the totem pole that needs to be dealt with.

"MBC"

Former Employee - QRA Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - QRA Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Memorial Blood Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move up in company which is what I did. Lots of chances for continuing education. I felt very supported by my manager in every aspect of my job despite some of the cons. The mission of the organization made me feel good about the work that we do. Good work/life balance in my position.

Cons

Many members of management get away with extremely poor soft skills due to the results or perceived results they produce. Tiptoeing around people's foul moods and their unwillingness to cooperate with others leads to lengthy delays in projects. We merged with another blood center 3 years ago and are far from operational processes actually being merged which is very frustrating.
    This is a non-profit organization so don't think you're going to get super-rich working here. That's not necessarily a con but a complaint I'd often hear.

Advice to Management

Complacency is dangerous. Stop catering to the departments who complain the most and get rid of under-performing and hard-to-get-along-with staff. Their output may be good but their behavior drives good employees away.

5. "Mbc"

Current Employee - Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Room to move up in company. Good cause. Pretty good benefits. Doesn't require much experience.

Cons

Low pay, high burnout rate, high turn around. Most positions open for overnight.

Advice to Management

Communicate more about plans or changes to work environment.

"Operational Lead Collections"

Former Employee - Operational Lead Collections
    Former Employee - Operational Lead Collections

I worked at Memorial Blood Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For me, I appreciated other collections staff, and the donors. They made my job fun and easy.

Cons

Long hours (45-50 hours a week), hours that went past supper time so difficult to be home with family for dinner, difficult to schedule personal appointments around work hours, unable to attend children's school functions, events and sporting games due to work hours. No one had our backs in collections - no support until management feels you have done something wrong and then they will be sweet and kind to your face while plotting behind your back. Long standing hard working employees are not valued - very very common for MBC to find foolish reasons to fire/terminate employees when they reach the top of the pay and vacation scales. Mid-level managers seem to come and go very quickly. Often work short staffed, so people are always being asked to work over time and extra shifts.

Advice to Management

It is not about YOU. YOU need to realize that your employees on the front line are your biggest assets. Staff feels unappreciated, under valued, has no faith in management (Duluth sites), doesn't feel the company is going in the right direction, more than half the staff says they are currently looking for a new job, etc. All this is shown by the yearly employee surveys, but yet nothing gets done about it. Listen to your workers, they do know what they are talking about! Practice what you preach - set the positive example, a good company starts at the top.

7. "MBC"

I have been working at Memorial Blood Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people @ MBC are great, very welcoming

Cons

work, life balance is challenging

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Branch, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Branch, MN

I have been working at Memorial Blood Centers (More than 8 years)

Pros

MBC has a strong mission, it's easy to get behind. There are great people who are fun to work with. MBC does its best to promote from within so it is a place that you can build a career.

Cons

Needs more parking and limited lunch options.

Advice to Management

Prioritize the right projects. Taking on too much at one time stretches people too thin.

"Saving Lives, but Poor Culture"

I have been working at Memorial Blood Centers full-time

Pros

Since it's a smaller company, you can work your way up or explore different career paths easily. There are lots of areas that could be optimized, therefore lots of improvement opportunities. Patient success stories are plentiful, and it's a great feeling to know that you're helping save lives.

Cons

In my experience, the culture of Memorial Blood Centers is poor. Politics and "game-playing" are the norm for many of the upper management staff. It can be difficult to get a simple task done because of the culture.

Advice to Management

Remove or vigorously coach poor-performing managers. If there are issues with the culture, address them immediately. Understand that if "you permit it, you promote it," and I think that's what is happening here.

10. "Mobile Phlebotomist"

I have been working at Memorial Blood Centers full-time

Pros

Great staff, competitive pay, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Irregular hours, late schedules coming up--hard work/life balance

"customer service recruiting"

Pros

it was nice to help people

Cons

limited calling lists made calling frustraging