Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Memorial Sloan Kettering New York Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

New York, NY

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 17 reviews)

• Base post doc salary with no experience is 50K, which does not really defray the high cost of living in New York (in 12 reviews)

1. "Mission-based, political"

Current Employee - Patient Access in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Patient Access in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mission-based
    - Doing the best job they can given all of their responsibilities (research, clinical care, etc)

Cons

- Highly political with trickle-down culture
    - Junior employees not included in conversations

Advice to Management

Encourage meritocracy and innovation. Shorten the onboarding process.

May 26, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We would be interested to learn more about your feedback regarding the onboarding process - please message us directly at www.facebook.com/mskcareers.

2. "Research Study Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, intelligent, curious team-members who truly are committed to cancer research and patient care.

Cons

The usual issues with large, for-profit companies heavily-burdened with regulations.

Advice to Management

Loosen the restrictions for advancement within the company - you're losing out on some great talent as a result of the broken system.

May 26, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're proud of our staff commitment to the mission and we'll share your feedback regarding advancement opportunities for RSA's.

3. "Clinical Research Supervisor"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Powerful mission and ambitious leaders, advanced clinical care, pride in research

Cons

Slow to change, needs to leverage more technology to streamline human processes

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review full of great feedback that we will share with the Clinical Research leadership team. We're proud to have you as a team member committed to our mission, taking pride in the ... More

4. "LAN Admin"

Current Employee - LAN Admn in New York, NY
    Current Employee - LAN Admn in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great, Low Stress, Tons of Interesting Projects, Cutting Edge Research

Cons

Too compartmentalize. For special projects, don't know who in another department to ask to get my project done.

Advice to Management

Good job most of the time. But sometimes Upper Management Need to understand the big picture, You can't tell your staff "Just finish this project, Don't ask me questions because I don't know myself, Just let me know when it is done the way I wanted it." sorry I am not a mind reader.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working on many interesting projects in your role. We're disappointed to hear that you are frustrated in some aspects of your work and ... More

5. "Physician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits commitment to quality

Cons

No upward mobility for physicians

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to individual contributions

6. "research department varies by service. i work in breast medicine with 30-40 researchers, 15 nurses and 40 attendings"

Former Employee - Research Study Assistant I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Study Assistant I in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

able to learn multiple aspects of medicine - radiology pathology as well as specifically med onc/rad onc and the upcoming basket trials are very interesting

Cons

no room for growth unless you want to be a manger - very hard to translate the skill set from this job to another field outside of clinical research

Advice to Management

hire more people, get rid of fwa for full time employees

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing feedback on your employment experience at MSK. We're pleased to hear you appreciated the opportunity to learn multiple aspects of medicine.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth
    Good benefits: medical/dental/vision, 403b retirement, tuition reimbursement (better than most employers would give)
    Constant discoveries are being made - glad to be apart of a working goal to cure cancer
    Great working team
    Great environment
    Discounts
    Recognition for work done

Cons

Too much micromanaging
    Could be better communication between the different departments
    Hierarchy system

Advice to Management

Lower management/assistants are the eyes and ears of the company. Many issues can be resolved with the knowledge we have rather than have multiple meetings attempting to resolve, only causing additional issues.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about working at MSK. We're pleased to learn that the innovation and 'constant discovery' drives your positive working experience. Collaboration is critical to our ... More

"Senior Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible work from home hours. Training for employees was always offered. Good work life balance. Support inter-department movements. Good pay for the work expected.

Cons

Slow pace. Very bureaucratic. Hard to change existing processes or systems. Slow to adapt new technology (on the non-medical side).

Advice to Management

Need to setup an environment where more experimentation is possible. Not much room for promotions or to take on different responsibilities within an existing job.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear you had a positive experience including training opportunities and work/life balance and flexibility. We appreciate your feedback about developing an ... More

""A Wonderful Place to Work""

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High quality MDs and RNs with magnet status; numerous internal lectures, grand rounds, nutrition conference to attend as time permits; growing opportunities as more satellite centers open (one dietitian hired per center); more resources than other institutions (e.g.we develop & publish our own patient education materials, have our own medical library, patients have a recreation area where they can do crafts and attend special events etc.). Clinical dietitian ladders recently approved, so there is some opportunity for growth, but too early to offer a judgment as to its success. Overall a great place to work, despite caveats below.

Cons

Census always seems to be over capacity and patient acuity has risen with shift to outpatient centers for treatment & less complex surgeries, so it can get very busy/stressful & difficult to keep up with new admissions & follow-up of existing patients. Dietitians are unit-based & don't get a chance to change assignments unless someone leaves, so work can get repetitious (unless you are in a relief position, where your floor assignment is constantly changing) as the floors are arranged by service/diagnosis, although there are many that prefer to remain on their same floor. The dietitians cover all patients except for those on TPN, they are followed by GI/Nutrition MDs & NPs. Difficult to find affordable housing in Manhattan at dietitian level salary (& dietitians not eligible for more affordable hospital housing), therefore, many dietitians commute from outer boroughs, Westchester or New Jersey & commuting to NYC is not fun. When I started the benefits were great & the salary was low. Now the salary is competitive, but budgets seem to get tighter every year & health insurance keeps getting more expensive, but those are universal issues.

10. "Research Fellow"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place for postdoctoral training, excellent research facilities, easy to create collaborations

Cons

For a research fellow, really long hours, the benefits are not as good as what MSKCC can in fact provide