Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

New York, NY

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 17 reviews)

• work life balance is challenging (in 12 reviews)

"Housekeeping aid"

Former Employee - House Keeping Aid in New York, NY
    Former Employee - House Keeping Aid in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company they cut the great benefits that make them medium when I start working there 14 years ago top 1 now on the 80s

Cons

Bad and poor management people in the administration of the department who don't have any idea how to run the department and abuse of the employees because they are afraid to lose their jobs

Advice to Management

To de administration clean the director and crew before is too late

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. If you'd like to share additional feedback - please send us a direct message on www.facebook.com/MSKCareers.

"great benefits, decent support, cruddy laboratory environments"

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

post doc fellows get free benefits for self and spouse, admin support is pretty good

Cons

aside from undetermined hours, laboratory environment is terrible. the smarter people are, the more childlike politics and games they place. most people in an academic research setting have not worked outside of academics or are fresh graduates that have fallen straight into research, so be aware- they don't understand professionalism, and dont understand the difference between 'friends' and gossip. Many of the bosses or research mentors are quite the same, regardless of their expertise.

Advice to Management

have professionalism courses for PIs, post docs, medical fellows to attend. the game of telephone should not be allowed to be played in such a setting

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that as a fellow at MSK you found our benefits offerings valuable. We will also share your feedback with our leadership team.

3. "Great job"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and co-workers.

Cons

Long hiring process, took over a couple months from application submission to offer letter. I needed to constantly contact HR to keep things moving.

4. "RN"

Current Employee - RN OR in New York, NY
    Current Employee - RN OR in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great nursing staff in the Operating Room unit. Very helpful. Constant learning experience and inservices. Many people are willing to help. Management is great too. You get vacation time in the first year.

Cons

No 12 hr. Shifts. Only give 8 and 10 hr. Shifts. Great turnover in the OR for some reason. So many services to learn that there isn't enough consistency to learn 1 service well enough.

Advice to Management

Give the 12 hr. Shifts back and you will retain more staff.

5. "Worst Career Experience Thus Far"

Former Contractor - Technician in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a contractor

Pros

Working in Manhattan and thats all it.

Cons

PRICEY!
    As a scientist and researcher, I would say to stay 100% away unless you are Chinese. I took this job and was so excited to be working in a reputable hospital. But, once I started, I quickly saw what type of mess and lack of professionalism went on in the laboratory environment. The technicians mostly hated their jobs, and in as little as three weeks, so did I. My boss didn't know about any of the testing, and I caught several mistakes that should have been presented to the Director, who didn't care about much either. The environment was so toxic, I had to leave within two months. And I would never be a patient in the hospital, God forbid I should ever need cancer treatment.

6. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good access to research opportunities
    One of the most structured research institutions there is.
    Valid cost of living compensation for entry level positions

Cons

Depending on the department, the management could be a little troublesome.
    Research ministration lacks communication with the clinical aspect of the hospital that could cause some admin level concerns on solidity.

Advice to Management

Ensure a standard level of communication is maintained across the board.
    Commit to the action agreed upon.

7. "Session Assistant"

Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture. Great tuition reimburstment. Amazing people to work along side with. Great benefits. Easy to grow within other departments within the company.

Cons

Long work hours. Long commute into the city. Get thrown into a lot of work if your good at your job compared to the others that slack around and do nothing. Hard to move up within ambulatory care. Salary less then deserved for the amount of work.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees. Distribute work more equally amongst your employees.

"Great benefits to offset substandard workplace environment"

Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, including 403b employer match, healthcare plan options, good vacation AND generous sick day balances. Good employee perks and subsidized housing.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Ambiguous advancement criteria. Substandard leadership and mentoring. Very political climate. Shortage of competent colleagues. Below average salary.

Advice to Management

None. Advice to potential/current employees: Management has a set agenda. Align with it and you'll be fine.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the benefits offerings and time off. It's disappointing to see that you have found a negative experience with leadership and mentoring. We... More

"Horrible to Nursing staff"

Former Employee - RN/NP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - RN/NP in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits well structured finacislly

Cons

There has been a huge shift in how they balue/ treat staff. Pple who have worked their earnestly with patient satisfaction and compliance are suddenly asked to get their things, removed from the premesis and sign final warnings for any mere infraction that administration thinks of. Its a dangerous place to work. You are worked to death and think you secure and if you have leafership skills or nusing management thinks your going for a terminal degree they will target you and push you out. Pple lives are destroyed by the upper eshelon of nursing and they are getting away with it. Magnet denied them several times and then gave it to them but said candidly at another hospital MSK has major issues. If they are not carefull a class action suite will be filed on behalf of the several nursing employees that were forced out under less than ethical eith countless HR violations. I thought it would be a dream to work here. I was taken in. It's a cult where they breed fear and are looking at bottom lines and pple who are vested were the first to be targeted. Bet attorney general would be interested in that!

Advice to Management

Stop bullying the RNs who are on a leadership track whether it be APRN. Look around at MD Anderson n whos publishing with what initials/ its not Nursing Managers w a BSN or MS its DNPs and Phd's snd EDd!! Nursing research/ there is a reason why other incredible institutions are aware of your inability to churn out leaders... bc anyone hired for nursing research with a clue sees that CNO is a bubblehead

10. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work at MSKCC is how the staff works and care for the patients as well as each other.

Cons

Not many downsides at all....