Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

New York, NY

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 16 reviews)

• Base post doc salary with no experience is 50K, which does not really defray the high cost of living in New York (in 12 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth
    Good benefits: medical/dental/vision, 403b retirement, tuition reimbursement (better than most employers would give)
    Constant discoveries are being made - glad to be apart of a working goal to cure cancer
    Great working team
    Great environment
    Discounts
    Recognition for work done

Cons

Too much micromanaging
    Could be better communication between the different departments
    Hierarchy system

Advice to Management

Lower management/assistants are the eyes and ears of the company. Many issues can be resolved with the knowledge we have rather than have multiple meetings attempting to resolve, only causing additional issues.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about working at MSK. We're pleased to learn that the innovation and 'constant discovery' drives your positive working experience. Collaboration is critical to our... More

2. "Clinical Research Supervisor"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Powerful mission and ambitious leaders, advanced clinical care, pride in research

Cons

Slow to change, needs to leverage more technology to streamline human processes

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review full of great feedback that we will share with the Clinical Research leadership team. We're proud to have you as a team member committed to our mission, taking pride in the... More

3. "LAN Admin"

Current Employee - LAN Admn in New York, NY
    Current Employee - LAN Admn in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great, Low Stress, Tons of Interesting Projects, Cutting Edge Research

Cons

Too compartmentalize. For special projects, don't know who in another department to ask to get my project done.

Advice to Management

Good job most of the time. But sometimes Upper Management Need to understand the big picture, You can't tell your staff "Just finish this project, Don't ask me questions because I don't know myself, Just let me know when it is done the way I wanted it." sorry I am not a mind reader.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working on many interesting projects in your role. We're disappointed to hear that you are frustrated in some aspects of your work and... More

"Senior Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible work from home hours. Training for employees was always offered. Good work life balance. Support inter-department movements. Good pay for the work expected.

Cons

Slow pace. Very bureaucratic. Hard to change existing processes or systems. Slow to adapt new technology (on the non-medical side).

Advice to Management

Need to setup an environment where more experimentation is possible. Not much room for promotions or to take on different responsibilities within an existing job.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear you had a positive experience including training opportunities and work/life balance and flexibility. We appreciate your feedback about developing an... More

""A Wonderful Place to Work""

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High quality MDs and RNs with magnet status; numerous internal lectures, grand rounds, nutrition conference to attend as time permits; growing opportunities as more satellite centers open (one dietitian hired per center); more resources than other institutions (e.g.we develop & publish our own patient education materials, have our own medical library, patients have a recreation area where they can do crafts and attend special events etc.). Clinical dietitian ladders recently approved, so there is some opportunity for growth, but too early to offer a judgment as to its success. Overall a great place to work, despite caveats below.

Cons

Census always seems to be over capacity and patient acuity has risen with shift to outpatient centers for treatment & less complex surgeries, so it can get very busy/stressful & difficult to keep up with new admissions & follow-up of existing patients. Dietitians are unit-based & don't get a chance to change assignments unless someone leaves, so work can get repetitious (unless you are in a relief position, where your floor assignment is constantly changing) as the floors are arranged by service/diagnosis, although there are many that prefer to remain on their same floor. The dietitians cover all patients except for those on TPN, they are followed by GI/Nutrition MDs & NPs. Difficult to find affordable housing in Manhattan at dietitian level salary (& dietitians not eligible for more affordable hospital housing), therefore, many dietitians commute from outer boroughs, Westchester or New Jersey & commuting to NYC is not fun. When I started the benefits were great & the salary was low. Now the salary is competitive, but budgets seem to get tighter every year & health insurance keeps getting more expensive, but those are universal issues.

6. "Research Fellow"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place for postdoctoral training, excellent research facilities, easy to create collaborations

Cons

For a research fellow, really long hours, the benefits are not as good as what MSKCC can in fact provide

7. "Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, management is awesome, benefits and perks are great, work is rewarding, coworkers are hard working, knowledgeable and are all there for one purpose saving lives!

Cons

None at all, I am sad to leave this company!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Clinical Laboratory Technician"

Former Contractor - Clinical Laboratory Technician in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Clinical Laboratory Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Standard Protocols, friendly environment, standard hours.

Cons

No room for development in job position.

Advice to Management

Allow for growth in position

9. "Clinical Nurse I"

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse I in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Magnet status, great benefits and wonderful environment to work in. Nurses are very supportive I've heard but cannot tell yet since I just started

Cons

No cons as of now. I commute and it might take me a while to get use to it. Otherwise, great hospital for the start!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rewarding work. Team work culture. Excellent continuing education plan. Appreacative customers. Many opportunities to contribute to area of expertise and to share skills and knowledge with other professionals. Many ongoing efforts to incorporate technology and social media platform to enhance current care and improve the patient and employee experience.

Cons

Occasional silos, hierarchy and delays can detract from productivity in certain disciplines but self starters can navigate.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the doors of communication and engagement open. Amazing and dedicated people people are here at all levels. Weed out detractors and continue to celebrate diversity.