Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • no room for growth unless you want to be a manger - very hard to translate the skill set from this job to another field outside of clinical research (in 18 reviews)

• work life balance is challenging (in 18 reviews)

1. "I love working here, despite flaws"

Current Employee - Research Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefit package.
    -Almost everyone there is there to do good and because they truly believe in the cause.
    -Work/life balance in clinical research is fairly good. (Not good in other roles, but I cannot personally speak to that!)
    -Leadership has begun reorganizing clinical research under one heading to streamline everything. This is THE BEST thing that's happened since we got electronic medical records.
    -Tuition reimbursement up to $12,500/year.

Cons

-I work in clinical research, and traditionally it is an area filled with significant regulatory hurdles that the hospital seems to be content with letting each individual group handle, instead of deciding on one solution.
    -A bit behind on technology, and many systems/databases don't talk to each other.
    -Very difficult to get a raise without a corresponding promotion. Promotions are quite slow and require significant haggling at the managerial level to obtain. (Given it's a non-profit, I can understand some scarcity of funds, but MSK needs to stay competitive to prevent rapid turnover and attract high-quality management at every level.)
    -There is favoritism afoot. If a higher-up likes you, prepare for promotions. If not, either figure out how to earn that favor or look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Allow raises within position instead of requiring promotion. Invest in one/a few systems that can actually talk to each other instead of having a ton of isolated platforms which require duplicate work and/or expert coding ability.

2. "Awesome People!"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

- I enjoyed the people I worked with. This is super important, because you spend a lot of time at work.
    - Great benefits
    - When you take time off, didn't feel like I needed to be tied to my email

Cons

- Some processes need to be updated and automated
    - Communication could also be improved upon
    - Promotions could be more frequent

3. "Quick review"

Current Employee - Pysicians Office Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pysicians Office Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

9-5 hours and good benefits

Cons

Difficult work and need more staff

Advice to Management

Hire more employees

4. "n/a"

Pros

I like working there a lot.

Cons

There aren't any dislikes about that company

Advice to Management

n/a

5. "MSK"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Memorial offers a great selection of medical benefits and paid time off and sick leave. Flexible work schedule and are very willing to work around schedule.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints, i think MSK is a great place to work with a lot to offer.

"Great place to work but there is room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent benefits/ VAC/ sick time/ maternity + paternity leave. This is usually where MSK hooks it's employees - for an entry level position you get 21 VAC days which is absurdly awesome.

There is a lot of opportunities to get involved, attend presentations, gain additional skills through various trainings (L&OD).

For the most part the employees are nice and driven by working for an institution with a great mission.

Tuition reimbursement caps at 12500/yr - you will not find that anywhere else.

Pay is fairly competitive. Great work life balance but this is sometimes dependent on what dept you work in (some dept's are known for having horrible work-life balance)

Cons

- Upper management (not your supervisor) decides what people get on their performance appraisals even though they never work directly with you
    - Nepotism runs DEEP. If someone in upper management doesn't 'like you' expect to get looked over for potential promotions for people who are considered 'safe and conventional' (ex: someone who is early, stays quite in meetings, and doesn't challenge the administration even though they might do a subpar job)
    - Unrealistic expectations: we are rated on a scale of 1-5 but MSK likes for people to believe that being a 3 ( which ranges from 3.0-3.74 and is considered 'Successful') is something to be proud of because "MSK has much higher standards and being successful here means you exceed expectations everywhere else".
    - There is a moral issue in most dept's because people don't feel like their hard work and dedication is not valued. No one is asking for an award but when you put in 100hrs in 2 weeks because your dept is severely understaffed you should be appreciated and not receive and email from your supervisor asking you why you did so much OT when they know exactly why
    - Everything happens at a very slow pace; from transferring, to being hired, promotions, etc... these could take literal months before anything happens

Advice to Management

Upper managements needs intense restructuring. They make every below them feel like they are on the bottom of the totem pole and they tend to be threaten by people who speak up which in turn negatively impacts the employees. This is why you have a moral issue in most departments. There is a lack of transparency and the culture can be very high school like (gossip runs rampant)

7. "Events Coordinator"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with a great mission, patients come first no matter which department or role you work in.

Cons

Departments seem to all be in silo and don't communicate with each other

8. "research tech"

Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

vacation, benefits, atmosphere, reputation

Cons

stress, micro management from leadership, bad science

Advice to Management

hire proper leaders, focus on things that matter not things that don't

9. "great place"

Pros

nice staff and good management

Cons

heavy work load and can be stressful

10. "Project manager"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

Great compensation and benefits and work conditions.

Cons

Ingrained hierarchy difficult to break through.