Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 22, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 17 reviews)

• work life balance is challenging (in 17 reviews)

"Terribly hostile culture/work environment & complete ignorance of emotional/mental health"

Former Employee - Researcher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name "Memorial Sloan Kettering" is seen as prestigious.

Cons

Although MSK's website and PR screams that MSK is a loving environment where all employees are accepted, and taken care of, MSK is actually a toxic environment. Very few employees are educated about mental health, what is best for their own work/life balance (everyone does not want to work all day, and then "hang out" with their co-workers), and how to manage people in a healthy manner.

Expect backstabbing and bullying. I mean bullying by supervisors (remember, there is no law against bullying, and MSK HR tends to side with the supervisor if anything negative comes up. If you do reach out , HR will most likely ask you to "make a plan as to why you are a better business decision than [the bully]").

Personally I conducted had over 200 in depth interviews with MSK patients (as a part of my role). The majority (65-70%) of patients interviewed reported feeling "lack of emotional care," "I'm a piece of meat on a somewhat competent conveyor belt," "I hate my doctor," etc.

Personally my supervisor was immature and consistently inappropriate (e.g. telling supervisees too much about her personal life [extreme boundary issues, and rage issues], speaking harshly about other supervisees during one-on-one check-ins, drinking excessively at "happy hour" events arranged by the team). In general my supervisor was a great example of what NOT to do. This is part of the culture, please take caution, many supervisors behave poorly.

Advice to Management

The brain is a part of the human body. Additionally, during a chart review of patients who had any surgery below the belt I noticed many patients who became suicidal during their stay. Think about how devastating it is to have an organ/nerves that influence sexual functioning removed (for BOTH men and WOMEN).

This can easily be prevented. Please listen to the NYC DOH and DOHMH and utilize the free mental health training and support that is now being provided as a result of NYC's massive mental health initiative (Trainings are free FOR NOW).

The "ThriveNYC" initiative is certainly being implemented successfully, and cannot be ignored by a hospital. I worry about MSK's next Joint Commission visit.

I'm worried that the NYPD definitely knows more about mental health than MSK (a place that treats people with CANCER, which tends to be a major stress, and is more than likely to trigger extreme emotional responses).

The complete ignorance of mental health should not sit right with any helping professional.

And there should be more than one social worker per building if you'd like your patients to be more prepared for discharge. Nurses are great for the medical discharge, but social workers have special training specifically for patients who have gone through a possibly traumatic treatment.

"Stressful and toxic culture environment within the OR"

Current Employee - Staff RN in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff RN in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location of the hospital is the only Pro I can think of

Cons

-Awful nursing leadership and management in both main OR and Josie Robertson Surgery Center
    -Gossipy, spoiled PAs and surgeons would gossip almost about everything during surgery
    -Always short-staffed due to the disapproving nature of the OR environment, making people simply want to stay home by either calling out or take sick leaves.

3. "Nightmare"

Former Intern - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the patients and knowing that I made some great connections with them.

Cons

Management staff lack maturity and professionalism. My department felt like a high school and you were doomed (professionally), if you did not conform to the mean girls.

Advice to Management

Hirer people with more experience and maturity.

4. "Worst Career Experience Thus Far"

Former Contractor - Technician in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a contractor

Pros

Working in Manhattan and thats all it.

Cons

PRICEY!
    As a scientist and researcher, I would say to stay 100% away unless you are Chinese. I took this job and was so excited to be working in a reputable hospital. But, once I started, I quickly saw what type of mess and lack of professionalism went on in the laboratory environment. The technicians mostly hated their jobs, and in as little as three weeks, so did I. My boss didn't know about any of the testing, and I caught several mistakes that should have been presented to the Director, who didn't care about much either. The environment was so toxic, I had to leave within two months. And I would never be a patient in the hospital, God forbid I should ever need cancer treatment.

"Horrible to Nursing staff"

Former Employee - RN/NP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - RN/NP in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits well structured finacislly

Cons

There has been a huge shift in how they balue/ treat staff. Pple who have worked their earnestly with patient satisfaction and compliance are suddenly asked to get their things, removed from the premesis and sign final warnings for any mere infraction that administration thinks of. Its a dangerous place to work. You are worked to death and think you secure and if you have leafership skills or nusing management thinks your going for a terminal degree they will target you and push you out. Pple lives are destroyed by the upper eshelon of nursing and they are getting away with it. Magnet denied them several times and then gave it to them but said candidly at another hospital MSK has major issues. If they are not carefull a class action suite will be filed on behalf of the several nursing employees that were forced out under less than ethical eith countless HR violations. I thought it would be a dream to work here. I was taken in. It's a cult where they breed fear and are looking at bottom lines and pple who are vested were the first to be targeted. Bet attorney general would be interested in that!

Advice to Management

Stop bullying the RNs who are on a leadership track whether it be APRN. Look around at MD Anderson n whos publishing with what initials/ its not Nursing Managers w a BSN or MS its DNPs and Phd's snd EDd!! Nursing research/ there is a reason why other incredible institutions are aware of your inability to churn out leaders... bc anyone hired for nursing research with a clue sees that CNO is a bubblehead

"Wouldn't recommend working here"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and discounts, work hours ok

Cons

Very bad work environment, organization and communication problems within management trickle down to lower level creating lots of chaos, PIs act as managers without any managerial skills whatsoever, management/PIs use negative reinforcement to "motivate" employees, no growth opportunities foreseeable.

Advice to Management

Use positive reinforcement with employees, at least once in a while. Listen to employee needs.

"This institution does not care about their employees"

Pros

Well known institution...location... competitive compensation

Cons

you are just a number... it's super political here... it takes years to move up.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees

Feb 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

We're sorry to hear that you didn't find your time at MSK to be a more positive experience. If you'd like to share more detailed feedback, please contact us directly at... More

8. "Unit Clerk"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering part-time

Pros

Good salary good benefits

Cons

Poor management and high turnover

Feb 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

"Research Study Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

It has been rewarding to see patients in their journey to fight cancer.

Cons

Management is disorganized, inadequate training, severely low pay for quality of work demanded. I have never felt so undervalued as an employee. Catty coworkers. Zero learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Hire better qualified senior staff and supervisors. Reward all employees for hard work, not just the favorites. Be more attuned to hard working staff.

Oct 14, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're glad that even in what you shared as a negative experience, you were able to connect to our mission of conquering cancer and providing excellent patient care.

"Don't Be Fooles"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, variety of locations and for the most part the staff is great. Good place to gain experience then earn more elsewhere. The name carries weight.

Cons

Horrible management, they treat employees bad because they know they can get away with it. Treats self paying patients like VIP's & insured are treated like cattle.

Sep 27, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're disappointed to hear your feedback on management and alleged patient care. If you'd like to provide any more details around what you experienced please... More