Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 16 reviews)

• Base post doc salary with no experience is 50K, which does not really defray the high cost of living in New York (in 12 reviews)

1. "Research Fellow"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

Facilities, Fame, Publications, City, Housing

Cons

Environment, contracts, competition, techniques, organization

Advice to Management

None

"Unlikely to be Promoted"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at MSKCC for 5 years as an Administrative Assistant. Some of the people who I worked with were nice but not everyone. Nice location and area to go out for lunch and shopping. Leaving Sloan was a blessing - got a higher paying job elsewhere and then completed my master's degree and started a new career after that.

Cons

While I worked there, I finished my BA and went on dozens of interviews for higher positions, none of which I was ever accepted for, albeit qualified. Supervisors consistently asked for personal favors throughout my 5 year employment, i.e. getting their daily lunch, snacks, coffee, responding to personal calls, etc. Although I did everything that was expected and more, and had almost perfect attendance my first few years, it wasn't enough.

Advice to Management

Stifling the growth and creativity of your employees is toxic and counterproductive to the company's success. You have a lot to learn.

3. "Housekeeping aid"

Former Employee - House Keeping Aid in New York, NY
    Former Employee - House Keeping Aid in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company they cut the great benefits that make them medium when I start working there 14 years ago top 1 now on the 80s

Cons

Bad and poor management people in the administration of the department who don't have any idea how to run the department and abuse of the employees because they are afraid to lose their jobs

Advice to Management

To de administration clean the director and crew before is too late

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. If you'd like to share additional feedback - please send us a direct message on www.facebook.com/MSKCareers.

"great benefits, decent support, cruddy laboratory environments"

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

post doc fellows get free benefits for self and spouse, admin support is pretty good

Cons

aside from undetermined hours, laboratory environment is terrible. the smarter people are, the more childlike politics and games they place. most people in an academic research setting have not worked outside of academics or are fresh graduates that have fallen straight into research, so be aware- they don't understand professionalism, and dont understand the difference between 'friends' and gossip. Many of the bosses or research mentors are quite the same, regardless of their expertise.

Advice to Management

have professionalism courses for PIs, post docs, medical fellows to attend. the game of telephone should not be allowed to be played in such a setting

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that as a fellow at MSK you found our benefits offerings valuable. We will also share your feedback with our leadership team.

5. "Great company, but do not work for the nursing informatics department"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, overall work culture values employees, and pay is competitive

Cons

The nursing informatics department do not offer flexibility whatsoever, while other departments offer a lot of work flexibility. Very poor work-life balance consideration. Always working on projects last minute. No project management and change management process whatsoever. Project timelines are created without even testing or resolving issues with the product or processes.

"Great benefits to offset substandard workplace environment"

Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, including 403b employer match, healthcare plan options, good vacation AND generous sick day balances. Good employee perks and subsidized housing.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Ambiguous advancement criteria. Substandard leadership and mentoring. Very political climate. Shortage of competent colleagues. Below average salary.

Advice to Management

None. Advice to potential/current employees: Management has a set agenda. Align with it and you'll be fine.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the benefits offerings and time off. It's disappointing to see that you have found a negative experience with leadership and mentoring. We... More

"I do not recommend working here"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

You feel as though you are making a difference
    Multiple lunchtime meetings to further your knowledge and understanding in various topics
    Wonderful employee health and wellness department
    TUITION REIMBURSEMENT

Cons

HORRIFIC MAGAGEMENT & HORRIBLE HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT!!!!! Employees are not valued by management and are seen as easily replaceable. In my office management was teetering the fine line between being aggressive and being harassing. Multiple discussions with Human Resources proved to fall on deaf ears. Management was manipulative and down right disrespectful to the employees and the doctors.

Advice to Management

This is advice to hospital administration. I believe that managers should be closely reviewed before being appointed as a "manager" and that co-workers should be spoken to to discuss how they work with others.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We know that working at MSK is making a difference in the fight against cancer. At MSK, we value each of our employees and their contribution to our mission. It is... More

8. "OPRep"

Former Employee - Outpatient Center Representative in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Outpatient Center Representative in Newark, NJ

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, and wonderful people and environment.

Cons

Inconsistent work hours (draining), no room for advancement, no matter how overqualified you are. You have to know the right person in order to get anywhere (interview). I loved my job, but it was getting boring and i needed something more challenging.

Advice to Management

Management never seemed to want to advance you or your skills and held back your growth as a career person. Putting me in a hard decision to advance my skills and leave the organization all together. This eventually hurts the company, and lose out on great employees.

"A lot of burned out scientists"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to top level science. Being part of a hospital allows cross-pollination between clinical and basic science. Located in New York city.

Cons

The complete lack of mentorship for post-docs and graduate students by most PIs is one of the biggest issues. The environment is not welcoming to women - the gender ratio of laboratory heads is abysmal.

Jan 13, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your comments regarding the cutting edge research performed at MSK, and we encourage you to contact your HR Business Partner to discuss the concerns you've expressed.

"Administrative Assistant"

Pros

The institute certainly has an amazing benefits package. Medical benefits are ok. Vacation and sicks days are awesome. There is also backup childcare provided.

Cons

Every part of MSK is disorganized. They make it seem like the admins are protected by having an admin supervisor but in reality you're fending for yourself. The place is like a zoo. There isn't much room for growth. It's all politics.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more room for advancement. Create a team of people that will work together. For example, don't make admin look for their own coverage if they need to be out.

Jan 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our benefits package, and we encourage you to contact your HR Business Partner to discuss your concerns in more detail.