Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews | Glassdoor

Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Last but not least there is no room for growth unless you work in administration or at the Main campus in NY (in 16 reviews)

• Base post doc salary with no experience is 50K, which does not really defray the high cost of living in New York (in 12 reviews)

1. "Tough Work-life balance"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

My coworkers were great and we truly relied on each other for all kinds of support.

Cons

In order to get the job done correctly, I had to work an enormous amount of overtime. This was not a 9-5pm job. I rarely left on-time.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed collaborating with your colleagues. We recognize, there are sacrifices made often by our employees, especially as it relates... More

2. "RN"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

Great environment - everyone is smart talented and top notch. Excellent salary and benefits.

Cons

Environment can be catty among staff. Not as team work oriented as I originally thought. Felt backstabbed and thrown under the bus at times by the person(s) designated to be teaching me who was a miserable person to work with and found fault with everything everyone did esp me. Also very political environment.

Advice to Management

Preceptorship matches could be better from the start and assessing if that preceptor is truly "available." Look to see if that preceptor is available (mentally emotionally physically spiritually ready) to take on a preceptee. I felt mine was not all there given her own personal life circumstances. She was a great nurse but in retrospect not the best teacher due to her attitude that fellow staff and patients/their families found rude. In order to retain staff and keep patients happy it's not gonna happen with downward spiraling morale incurred with new nurses walking on eggshells around the very nurses designated to teach them. It's very disappointing.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We're disappointed to hear of your feedback and would like to inquire if you shared this with your nursing leadership or educators before leaving MSK. If not and would like... More

"Leading cancer center -- could be doing better"

Current Employee - Assistant Attending in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Attending in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

403b and match; subsidized housing for faculty. Generally positive and helpful staff. Location and accessibility to mass transit. Tuition for dependents of faculty.

Cons

Tremendous amount of red tape, bureaucracy, and in some cases duplication of efforts. Insufficient space for research labs; clearly not a "chronic NYC problem" as some administrators would leave you to believe because other area research centers are not nearly as congested or pressed for space. Clinical volume appears to be waning. Personalities and egos at the highest levels of management beginning to negatively impact aspects of the center.

Advice to Management

MSKCC's position as a world leader in oncology is far from guaranteed. Times are changing and the institution is demonstrating itself to be less than completely agile. There are warning signs that troubled times are ahead.

"Session Assistant III"

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

opportunity to really make a difference, work collaboratively with so many people who care about helping those with cancer, many many opportunities to learn, they pay for school - so many pros!

Cons

they only promote from within in ambulatory care and dont always promote the most qualified or best fit - often seems like friends promote friends.

"Session Assistant"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

good benefits, different locations for internal transfers

Cons

long hours, difficult to be promoted in certain positions

6. "Research Study Specialist"

Current Employee - Research Study Specialist
    Current Employee - Research Study Specialist

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

most of the research staff is young and friendly

Cons

little autonomy and room to develop unless you transition to supervisory staff; rigid career ladder

7. "Data Analyst"

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

all good managers and teams

Cons

work life balance and pay

Jun 13, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you find your manager and teams a positive part of your work experience and encourage you to discuss improvements to your work/life balance with... More

8. "One department shouldnt define a hosipital."

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

a lot of down time, work is easy, always chance for overtime.

Cons

not enough overtime, poor communication between departments.

Advice to Management

you know what you have to do fix it. need a major overhaul from the top to the bottom.

9. "It's ok"

Pros

Decent pay. Make good connections.

Cons

Boring. Very repetitive at times.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are proud of the MSK community - full of great connections at every level.

"Good for a year or so"

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Study Assistant

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great for a first job
    -plenty of learning opportunities for people interested in working in healthcare

Cons

-pay is abysmal
    -promotions are based entirely on length of time spent in a role, not merit. Regardless of how well you do, you have to wait at least a year to get promoted, then two after that.
    -So much turnover that you spend a majority of your time picking up the slack of everyone else

Advice to Management

Provide RSA's with a reason to stick around after a year of work