Menards Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017
1,764 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,764 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Profit Sharing is the biggest incentive of All when it comes to BONUSE (in 265 reviews)

• all positions hourly and extra bonus pay on weekends (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance for management (in 54 reviews)

• You might be stuck working long hours (in 123 reviews)

1. "I enjoy it a lot, but..."

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with the public, and I'm very good at selling, as well as the up-sell. I like to turn bad attitudes of guests into smiles, it's really not that hard. I'm pretty well left alone by management, unlike a lot of team members. I do my job, and they recognize that. Pretty simple.

Cons

There are so many cliques in the store, as well as team members dating one another that creates a divide at times. You are best advised to avoid these, or you'll be sucked into a place you don't want to be.

Their rules are whatever a manager wants them to be, in spite of them not being in policy and procedure, (PNP0).

I was threatened with a write-up once for waiting on two guests at one time, by the 2nd asst manager in my department. The dept manager agreed. I told them, "prove it," and the issue was dropped. I looked and nowhere in PNP was it found. Neither of these young managers is there any longer.

Most of the dept managers have never had another job, besides Menards. Many get on a power trip, but usually do not last long. The lack of basic product knowledge by them is an issue.

Also, many, despite a policy against it, just point guests to areas they are looking for an item, many times, being wrong. Everyone is supposed to take the guest to the item.

Advice to Management

Rely more on the team members with the knowledge and experience. Just because someone has a moniker of "manager) after their name, does not mean they know everything.

Also, if you have a good and effective manager in a department, leave them there long enough for them to reach full potential, instead of moving them around like pieces on a chess board.

""Not enough payroll""

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Montgomery, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Montgomery, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays more than minimum wage and extra on weekends, regular competency-tested raises, instant profit sharing, over all not a terrible job if you need to be hired fast and make some cash.

Cons

They don't hire nearly as many people as they need, we're completely understaffed and yet I still haven't been bumped up to full time even though I requested it when I applied and work 38 hours a week because they "dont have enough payroll". The amount of work you have to do on the sales floor isn't worth the pay; stocking, overstocking, downstocking, inventorying, cleaning, putting out freight, setting up sale, taking down sale, and helping guests are just my basic responsibilities in my own department, not to mention having to go help out other departments when they're short staffed (which is always).

Advice to Management

Increase your payroll and hire more people with specific jobs. Night stocking positions would be great; I'm really tired of spending an unscheduled 2 hours every wed/thu/fri stocking freight and having to come in the next morning at 6:30.

3. "Receiving Team Member"

Former Employee - Student in Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Student in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at Menards part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours for a student job

Cons

Bad scheduling, a lot of closing shifts

"Flexible Yet Frustrating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Menards part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, work at your own pace, supportive department supervisors and friendly co-workers (Team Members). Customers, referred to as Guests, are mostly nice and are very appreciative when you are able to help them. If you like problem solving and working with people this is a good place to work.

Cons

Pay could be better, but is OK for the type of job. Upper level management is out of touch with the needs of lower level Team Members, particularly Stock Team Members. Team Members often do not have the tools needed to do their jobs efficiently and safely. This is very frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Spend some time (a week or so should do) as a Stock Team Member. Before making unrealistic policies and withholding much needed tools, know first hand what it is like to stock and face shelves, up-stock and down-stock merchandise. Stock Team Members are often left to use inefficient and unsafe tools to do their jobs because upper level management does not fully understand.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

I worked at Menards part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay higher on weekends

Cons

hours decrease during winter months, expectations to do other people's job

"Don't take a DM ADM position"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Menards part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a pretty good group at my store in St. Paul. Department managers seemed to generally be good to their part-time/full-time employees. My managers were great. I cared enough to learn more about Plumbing so I feel like a got *some* useful knowledge out of it.

Cons

Corporate will drop major changes to the department on you which are difficult to work with all the other demands of the job. It comes down to the managers to make it happen or get canned. How bad it is is entirely down to how good the hourly employees are, which they have basically no control over - I never even met my manager until after I was hired by the company and assigned to a department...

Store managers are almost always sticklers, but experience the full wrath of corporate so i can't blame them.

Advice to Management

Take care of your hourly employees and they'll take care of you. But you probably either already knew that, or are hopeless.

8. "Meh."

Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Menards (More than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly. Bonuses available for management.

Cons

Work every other weekend. Measly 10% employee discount, and it's only available as a payroll deduction. So if you're interested in a big-ticket item, you're screwed. Benefits are nothing exceptional.

Advice to Management

Stock up on Tums, and stay single.

"was okay for a first job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fremont, NE
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fremont, NE

I have been working at Menards (More than a year)

Pros

Most people were helpful and welcoming when I first joined. extra pay for weekends.

Cons

Bad management, Carryout sucked on busy days. It was really understaffed.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so that 1 employee isn't doing 3 peoples jobs.

10. "Good people, flexible schedule, low pay."

Former Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Menards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Useful knowledge if you own a home. Hands on work, not boring.

Cons

Low pay and crabby customers. You might be stuck working long hours.

"Cashier for a time"

Former Employee - Cashier in Warsaw, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Warsaw, IN

I worked at Menards part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talking to people, Helping guests

Cons

Management and ability to take time off

Advice to Management

Allow people who aren't full time to take time off and follow your own rules.

Showing 1,764 of 1,788 reviews