Found 123 of over 6K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Fun when you are working with someone who is good at their job and the pay is good" (in 656 reviews)
- "The people on my level are great and fun to work with." (in 312 reviews)
- "Great coworkers and an easy enough job" (in 195 reviews)
- "Flexible scheduling and easy going work days" (in 145 reviews)
- "Good bonuses (profit sharing once you hit 1k hours in a tax year)" (in 123 reviews)
- "Poor management and some of the customers will catch an attitude with you every now and then.They expect you to do in" (in 406 reviews)
- "some managers don't have common sense as to what would be more efficient to get job done" (in 271 reviews)
- "Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts." (in 240 reviews)
- "one of the worst offenders of stacking more work on workers that complete tasks with no benefit to work hard" (in 134 reviews)
- "The upper management was horrible meaning the general managers." (in 84 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Menards and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 2.0Nov 5, 2015CashierCurrent Employee
- Instant Profit Sharing - Bonus pay for weekend shifts - Amazing Co-workers - Flexible scheduling (if you're a good employee, they'll give you any time off that you request, they'll work with your school/second job schedule) - They promote from within (if you aspire to be a manager, this is a good place to work) - Merit Pay Raises
- Write up happy managers (if you make a mistake - even a small one - count on being written up) - No work/life balance (part timers average 35-45 hours a week) - Expensive health insurance that covers very little - Customers treat you like scum of the earth - Sick days are unexcused without a doctor's note (If you find yourself calling off work NEVER tell them you're sick because they'll write you up. Tell them your car broke down or you got into an accident or something)1
- 2.0Oct 8, 2015Assistant Department ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Pay is good as long as make payroll and when all Bonuses are accounted for. Plenty of opportunities to advance in the company if you want to. Stable growing company always opening new stores.
No work life balance at all you pretty much live at Menard's all the time working crazy hours just like anywhere in retail. Health and vacation benefits are terrible and barely existent. Which is terrible considering how much time and dedication you give to Menard's they give little back to their employees.
- 2.0May 30, 2022CashierCurrent Employee
- Enjoyed most of my co-workers - Diversity in tasks - High Energy work environment sometimes - the starting pay is decent - Flexible about schedule changes
- Work life balance is bad - If you're a good worker, they don't reward you with pay, just more work - Seriously the pay increase is like 10 cents every three months and it's not based on whether or not you do a good job, everyone is getting the same pay raise - Stressful work environment, it's customer service, people will yell at you (and the managers probably won't do anything about it)
- 2.0Nov 17, 2021First Assistant ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPlainfield, IL
Overtime is almost guaranteed Depending on the department a good family atmosphere Positive guest interactions
Upper management is disconnected with smaller departments. Poor leadership and not much leadership training. Work to life balance is terrible due to hours Several cliques
- 5.0Jan 16, 2019Sales AssociateFormer Employee, more than 1 yearMankato, MN
Good people. Pretty laid back so long as you keep up with your tasks.
Work/life balance can be tough for managers especially during the holidays but that's retail.
- 4.0Dec 5, 2021Department ManagerCurrent EmployeeColumbia, MO
Pays very well Multiple opportunities to promote
Poor Management Poor work/ life balance High turnover rate
- 1.0Nov 10, 2016Assistant Department ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 8 years
Decent pay but you have to kill yourself for it
Almost every aspect of this job is a negative: Expect over 50 hours a week constantly Customers are very arrogant to employees Pisspoor Benefits No 401k No balance of work and life (13 hour days)3
- 1.0Nov 29, 2018Manager TraineeFormer Employee, less than 1 yearAvon, IN
None really you can an extra 3.00 an hr on the weekend
Was scheduled for open one day next day scheduled to close no work life balance. Pay is by far the worst ever 13.25 an hour then after becoming a manager you get an extra .25 -.75 depending on what department you move to. Menards is a very greedy company that doesn’t want to pay employees.