Mencap Support Worker Reviews | Glassdoor

Mencap CEO Jan Tregelles
Jan Tregelles
  1. "Shifts far too long"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Hull, England

I worked at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely loved working here , Managers and Office staff were so supportive , Professional and most of all understanding ... and The Service User I supported well she will always hold a special place in my heart.

Cons

Living alone and having two pets to keep me company and only working part time all took it's toll on me .. I became unreliable due to lack of funds and the shifts I worked were too many hrs in one shift ..

Advice to Management

if the shifts could have been taken down to 8 hr shifts between all staff it would have been far more Manageable and Good support workers wouldn't be getting burned out and or exhausted .. The hrs seem to suit Managers More than Support Workers .. who are after all front line of the care ..

Mencap2019-11-07
  2. "Amazing job, wish I had done this years ago!"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Chippenham, South West England, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The recruitment process is great. The training is exceptional along with the e-learning and workbook that you need to complete. The team I work with and the support ive recieved is fantastic and everyone is welcoming and lovely. The people I support are amazing and the job is very rewarding. My manager is very supportive and has accommodated my hours so I can spend time with my partner and have a work life balance.... Hours are fine, its a 24/7 job but I still feel I have a life too. Best job ever! Glad i applied and happy I now work for Mencap as a support worker, wish I had done it years ago.

Cons

Wish we had handovers between shifts because sometimes I feel its needed and comms books are misunderstood or info missing by mistake.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more shadowing after training and a few shifts on your own. I feel that by doing this and the shadowing again allows you to fill in some gaps in knowledge and also reassure your learning.

Mencap2019-11-03
  3. "I love working at Mencap"

Current Contractor - Support Worker

I have been working at Mencap

Pros

The people we support are amazing.

Cons

Staff gossiping and bullying.

Advice to Management

When new starters join, try to form your own opinion of them, rather than getting feedback from staff members the new starter is shadowing. One person's understanding or comparability with another shouldn't determine how management or other staff see that person, especially when the feedback is negative and potentially untrue or a misunderstanding.

Mencap2019-10-30
  4. "Uncaring and nasty place to work"

Former Contractor - Support Worker

I worked at Mencap for more than a year

Pros

The clients were great

Cons

Over worked, personal life not cared for. Where I worked there were zero lunch breaks even though its illegal. Disgusting

Mencap2019-10-31
  5. "Don't do it."

Current Employee - Support Worker in London, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you support are lovely.

Cons

Because the pay is bad and Mencap cannot recruit they will employ absolute dross which they expect you to work alongside and put up with, you will then have to raise concerns and then be shunned with no support from management. I have changed my location to hide my identity.

Advice to Management

Hire better candidates, recognise and reward good work, be around more, get rid of staff who obviously shouldn't be working in care, take concerns seriously, support your good staff.

Mencap2019-10-12

"The job is amazing, company...not so much."

Former Employee - Support Worker in London, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job itself is great the people you support are wonderful.

Cons

Quite a few! Long hours, bad pay, illegal pay for sleep ins. Management and bosses in their ivory towers dont care at all for anyone who's actually.doing the hard work. No career progression. Treated unfairly. Serious issues left to lie.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff accordingly!! Minimum wage and illegal pay for sleep ins isnt acceptable. Take care of your staff and appreciate them.

Mencap2019-09-17
  7. "Great PWS"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding helping the PWS to get the most out of life

Cons

Always short staffed. Overtime expected, poor management

Advice to Management

Look after the good staff

Mencap2019-08-17

"Great job, very poor management"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Bognor Regis, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The tenants. MOST tenants were lovely, the work is not burdensome, but has a great deal of variety if allowed to.

Cons

Poor and unsupportive management. Management more concerned with money than the people we look after. Management who had no idea how to manage or even do a rota. No work/life balance. Staff often worked 24+ hours (including sleep ins) some doing all weekend from Sat morning to Sun night. Any dissent is lept upon and often leads to a disciplinary. Anyone on a disciplinary is left completely unsupported and allowed... absolutely no contact with colleagues. management other reviews on here, it is clear that this is a common theme: poor management. Mencap does a lot of PR saying how wonderful they are for tenants, but they are absolutely one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Without exception. The work can be extremely stressful at times and there is no support from management for this.

Advice to Management

Change your attitude towards Support workers, and actually hire managers who know how to manage people effectively. Making money is not the be all and end all, your own PR trumpets the way you have the persons care and support and independence and wishes at heart. This is NOT borne out in practice. Perhaps some of the senior executives and board should do an undercover month at a Mencap group home to see how it... actually is on the ground. Not how you think it is. Perhaps managmemt should read some of the exit surveys from staff and ask themselves if there is a recurring theme and why this is. I will guarantee that this review will not get a reply from Mencap.

Mencap2019-07-28
  9. "Do not go there"

Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Long Eaton, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

The service user's and Co worker's

Cons

The worst company I have ever worked for. Absolutely no regard for staff from the manager's. They work you into the ground, definitely no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Area managers should talk to all support worker's in private to assatain what is actually happening at ground level

Mencap2019-07-26
  10. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Manchester, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being able to teach people there are ways to do things , it may just take a little longer.

Cons

Having to travel so far from where I live

Advice to Management

Be more available

Mencap2019-06-17