Mencap Support Worker Reviews | Glassdoor

Jan Tregelles
  1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Kirkby in Ashfield, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great life experiences and chances to learn. Amazing team

Cons

None at present just long hours

Advice to Management

Thank staff more when they go above and beyond

Mencap2018-11-20
  2. "Support worker"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Loughborough, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its great when you work in a team that has the same goal as the organisation

Cons

when a manager is unreachable and does not call you back.

Mencap2018-11-29
  3. "Support worker"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Borehamwood, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, supportive, good Training

Cons

Weekend and bank holiday working

Mencap2018-09-18
  4. "Rewarding work but no flexability"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Grimsby, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is good, the actual work is rewarding and the staff usually get on well.

Cons

The management aren't willing to be flexible with working hours, i never seem to get the rota requests i ask for and have to swap with fellow employees

Mencap2018-09-17
  5. "Think twice before applying"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Introductory training is good, helping the people we support, lots of experience gained.

Cons

Unsociable hours, lack of managerial presence means cliques treat the place like a social club and bullying type behaviour (covered up as teamwork) gets buried under sand, understaffing , pay doesn't match the work you do.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking on so many services, work on improving the ones that you have and also taking care of the staff. Lack of morale is leading to a lot of staff wanting to leave .

Mencap2018-07-29
  6. "Mencap Merseyside"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is fun (most of the time), you get to support people to live a normal life and help them to manage their learning difficulty, lots of overtime (I am contracted to 20 hours but do well over 50 a week).

Cons

Some staff members seem to need a support worker themselves and staff who have worked in a house longer than you seem to think they are entitled to take certain liberties - leaving work early for example. Low pay for the level of responsibility we have. When starting supporting someone in a new place adequate information isn't given on the people you will be supporting, they have support plans but you can't... really go through them all especially when you are providing support for many people at one time. low pay leaves you feeling undervalued for all your hard work.

Advice to Management

Would it really kill you to give us a miniscule pay rise?

Mencap2018-06-12

"Could do better"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Wallingford, England

I worked at Mencap part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you support for this company are amazing! Lovely people whom I miss dearly.

Cons

Management didn't really seem to want to be there Some team members were lazy while others were very unprofessional! Safeguarding was noT as it should have been Agency staff could never get hold of management, regular staff had to step in

Advice to Management

There needs to be a big shake up and overhaul. The staff need to be acknowledged and looked after.

Mencap2018-02-27
  8. "It’s like another large part of your life, like a family."

Current Employee - Learning Disability Support Worker in Hastings, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great staff team (mine in particular), a privilege to support lovely people, supporting people in the community is great fun and challenging, the training you receive when you join mencap is brilliant and thorough.

Cons

Odd shift patterns and very frequent, sleep in shifts, a very poor work life ratio, lack of guidance and support once fully on board for me personally.

Advice to Management

In my experience, I would say value and support your staff more as they are fantastic and a strong foundation of the company’s purpose, demonstrate your interest regularly into your service as a manager to your staff and people who are supported by mencap to keep the level of quality that’s expected.

Mencap2018-02-11
  9. "Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Sheffield, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people that you care for can be great, though some can be an absolute nightmare too.

Cons

The managers aren't very good. They are pleasant enough, but really only have their own best interests at heart. You as an employee come right at the very bottom of the pile in their list of priorities.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff better, because without the staff, Mencap will always struggle to offer the quality of service that should always be given. The very high turnover of staff is evidence of this, and at the end of the day the people that suffer the most, are the people that Mencap are supposed to be taking care of, who hate change, different staff coming and going and the upheaval and uncertainty that this... brings.

Mencap2018-01-16
  10. "Management are useless"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Saint Austell, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mileage pay is good, lots of training available if your manager bothers to put you on it, service users are very friendly

Cons

Management could not care less about new support workers Low pay for the job - other companies pay more No personal food allowed in houses when on sleep ins Sleep ins being taken away Expenses take ages to be paid back - if your manager sets you up to have them paid Expected to work at multiple services Too much paperwork for the pay Too much time spent away from service users doing paperwork

Advice to Management

Treat your support workers with some respect. Maybe if you gave them clear instructions that didn't change every 6 weeks you'd keep some staff.

Mencap2018-01-27