Mencap Support Worker Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2019

3.1
Mencap CEO Jan Tregelles
Jan Tregelles
  1. "Management are useless"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Saint Austell, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mileage pay is good, lots of training available if your manager bothers to put you on it, service users are very friendly

Cons

Management could not care less about new support workers Low pay for the job - other companies pay more No personal food allowed in houses when on sleep ins Sleep ins being taken away Expenses take ages to be paid back - if your manager sets you up to have them paid Expected to work at multiple services Too much paperwork for the pay Too much time spent away from service users doing paperwork

Advice to Management

Treat your support workers with some respect. Maybe if you gave them clear instructions that didn't change every 6 weeks you'd keep some staff.

Mencap2018-01-27

"Brilliant!"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and I love my job. It's very rewarding work. I have not experienced anything like the bullying mentioned by other reviewers so this may be a regional difference. I'm in Peterborough, where things are fantastic. I feel there are opportunities to progress, and the team I work with all have the interests of people we support very much at heart.

Cons

Shifts are not a regular pattern, so planning can be an issue, but the upside is that you feel independent and managers can be quite flexible around your needs. The only real con is true of all support work at Mencap and elsewhere - there is a lot of safeguarding responsibility for the low pay!

Advice to Management

Hang on in there! Recruitment and staff retention is tough and managers have heavy workloads. This is caused by poor funding nationally and many people who work for you understand this. But do listen to people if they have particular needs and wishes around their working hours. All support workers are underpaid so we look for good work-life balance. Also, get the rota done as early as you can!!

Mencap2017-12-09

"Support worker"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Nottingham, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supporting and making a difference to adults with a learning disability and with autism. Knowing I am helping some very vulnerable people in society on a daily basis.

Cons

Total lack of management- ( I worked at a residential service)the manager and assistant manager are not based there, rather in a office miles away. As a support worker who does sleep in's and lone working, you basically end up running the place. If there's a medication error which often happens with staff doing a 24 hour shift, you deal with the problem even though you barely have enough time to get everything else... done and look after the residents. If a staff member rings in sick you are expected to find cover. You as a support worker will do meds, finances, personal care, cooking, cleaning, arranging appointments, answering the telephone, filling out risk assessments, incident forms, care plans, finance files, medication files, daily records and many more documentation. I as a support worker was responsible for looking after/supporting 4-5 adults from 2.15pm-2.15pm the next day. You can ring management in office hours mon-fri but this is only if you really need to, as was explained to me by the manager 'not if someone run's out of macragol'. Also if someone doesn't turn up to their sleep shift to take you off, you are expected to stay until they can get cover. Long shifts, sleeps, lone working No food or drink allowance when supporting someone out to a pub/restaurant (you sit there with tap water unless you are willing to spend your own money) Again no motivation or support from management, they very rarely come to the service and when doing so they do not say hello or speak to staff, they instead stay in the office and write in a communication book to staff to read instead of telling them face to face. On my last day my manager ignored me. You have to seek out the manager, they will not come to you to even check on staff or communicate with them. A big con is also that if anyone is unhappy about mencap in any area it is seen as being negative rather than a genuine different view. The media side to mencap is extremely good and proficient, again so much so they will deny, refute, try to reason or explain to keep their good image. Mencap do alot of good campaigning and giving advise and information to those with a learning disability, it's a real shame that the residentail/supported living side is let down. Another con would be how incredibly strict they are, this sounds like a good thing but in reality they are too strict so much so it is silly. For example, you are not allowed to refer to service users by their nicknames even though this is what they like to be called, respond to and what is written in their support plans. Another example is being declined for a job because you live too close to the residential service, by too close I'm not talking about round the corner either. To conclude I really wouldn't recommend working for mencap, there are so much better companies to work for.

Advice to Management

Staff are disillusioned, disappointed and fed up with management who are never there, don't help the staff and only give criticism.

Mencap2017-11-29
  4. "Mencap"

Current Employee - Community Support Worker in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can meet some nice people on support & help them to experience new things at times.

Cons

You're underpaid, overworked, practically spend your days in the car going from call to call, so it can be wearing.

Mencap2017-11-09

"Shocking Management"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Rochdale, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Taking care of people is always rewarding

Cons

Shocking discrimination by management. Face does not fit organisation. If you are related or friends with management you will fare better. Don't bother making complaints they cover it up

Advice to Management

Move your managers about so it stops becoming a clicky environment. Take complaints and grievances seriously and not bully staff to the point of them leaving.

Mencap2017-11-02

"Poor manger"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Clacton-on-Sea, England

I worked at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the tennants and the guys i worked with except manager

Cons

Mencap is the only company I know were you can be a manager with only retail experience lol. Manger bully staff members. When you explain that you can’t work long days due to having no child care in the evenings and have no one to collect your child from school, your told if you leave the premises their will be a safe guard put on you. Absurlutly crap company please don’t work for them!! Managers also very... unprofessional!!

Advice to Management

Employ better managers with care experience. Have proper supervision’s for your mangers, and better training as too teach and train your manager not to bully and discriminate!!

Mencap2017-10-29

"Look after the people they support but not the staff."

Former Employee - Support Worker

I worked at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

. Helpful and supportive staff. . Travel fees are reimbursed.

Cons

. Not complying with Working Time Regulations. . Inflexible with the rota.

Mencap2017-08-10
  8. "Mencap NI could be so much better. Disappointing experience."

Former Contractor - Support Worker in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Mencap for more than 5 years

Pros

The service users themselves. Training was regular, if a little stale.

Cons

Middle management skills are questionable, if you do have concerns then it's difficult to express this. If you rock the boat...expect to be pushed out of the boat, without a life jacket. Continual payroll errors. Regularly underpaid, had to chase to get errors rectified, which took months. The endless repetitive pointless paperwork which keeps you away from your role - most good Support Workers want to... spend time with the service users.

Advice to Management

Only 4 Supported Living Services in Northern Ireland and never once met a member of the senior management team. Visit your Service Users and Support Work staff (lowest ranking and paid members of staff) Lots of attention given to the new Childrens Service division, which is a good thing, but invest in existing adult services to. The endless funding cutbacks are lowering moral.

Mencap2017-08-03

"Service management problem"

Former Employee - Support Worker in Ipswich, England

I worked at Mencap part-time

Pros

The fantastic people I helped to support really was life changing for me. That feeling of absolute pride these people gave me. Being inspired enough to take my training much further.

Cons

Miserable disgruntled employees who spent all their spare time looking for alternative employment. Service managers with that oh so tedious 'god complex' Never being recognised for going that extra mile. A manager that appeared threatened by staff with any level of intelligence. One way communication. The cons for me were not the money, the long shifts, the lack of employment perks. All the cons were about... the poor people skills of service managers.

Advice to Management

I now work for an organization with excellent management skills. A company who recognise the value of good support workers and make a positive effort to keep hold of them. Mencap should take lessens from the because the more ex Mencap employees I talk to, the more apparent it becomes that this company has a huge service management problem. Stop doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different... result.

Mencap2017-06-15

"Support Worker"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Southampton, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am really enjoying my time at Mencap, I wanted to come on and write this as I am fed up with the negative reviews that are written on here. You read some of the comments and although dramatic you think to yourself, what job did you think you were applying for when you came here? So you dont like support work, what did you think it would be? Paid days out as a travel companion? No responsibility? No... accountability? Of course it isnt!!!! You are there to help a person live as independently as possible. They may need help with washing, dressing, their finances, going to clubs, cooking, cleaning and anything else. This has been an incredibly rewarding job, the friendships I have made will stay with me forever (both colleagues and the people we support). Yes the pay is not great, but then neither is other companies. They all pay basically the same. The hours are long and yes I do sleep ins. But then again you know that before you start. Nobody lies to you at interview and says, hey come and work with us, you wont have to do anything, there are days where you can just wander about and do as you like and guess what, we will pay you 30 grand for doing that! Yes people leave my service, but hey, I have worked at others and it was just as bad if not worse. Why? because people take this job thinking it will be easy. It isnt. But if you are the sort of person that loves this type of work, this is the place to be.

Cons

As with anywhere else, hours long and demanding , but guess what, I work 3 long days, maybe 4, then I get 2 or 3 days off. It isnt 24/7 , for 12 months a year. Yes the pay is not the highest, but then again, it is what it is. It is the same at any other provider. In fact its the same within all social care, healthcare, education, the fire service, the prison service, retail, sales........ You get the jist. Unless... you are a city banker, all jobs pay is not that great!

Advice to Management

Stop the wrong people joining us, vet them, make them do trial shifts.

Mencap2017-05-20