Mencap Support Worker Reviews | Glassdoor

Jan Tregelles

"Support Worker"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Southampton, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am really enjoying my time at Mencap, I wanted to come on and write this as I am fed up with the negative reviews that are written on here. You read some of the comments and although dramatic you think to yourself, what job did you think you were applying for when you came here? So you dont like support work, what did you think it would be? Paid days out as a travel companion? No responsibility? No... accountability? Of course it isnt!!!! You are there to help a person live as independently as possible. They may need help with washing, dressing, their finances, going to clubs, cooking, cleaning and anything else. This has been an incredibly rewarding job, the friendships I have made will stay with me forever (both colleagues and the people we support). Yes the pay is not great, but then neither is other companies. They all pay basically the same. The hours are long and yes I do sleep ins. But then again you know that before you start. Nobody lies to you at interview and says, hey come and work with us, you wont have to do anything, there are days where you can just wander about and do as you like and guess what, we will pay you 30 grand for doing that! Yes people leave my service, but hey, I have worked at others and it was just as bad if not worse. Why? because people take this job thinking it will be easy. It isnt. But if you are the sort of person that loves this type of work, this is the place to be.

Cons

As with anywhere else, hours long and demanding , but guess what, I work 3 long days, maybe 4, then I get 2 or 3 days off. It isnt 24/7 , for 12 months a year. Yes the pay is not the highest, but then again, it is what it is. It is the same at any other provider. In fact its the same within all social care, healthcare, education, the fire service, the prison service, retail, sales........ You get the jist. Unless... you are a city banker, all jobs pay is not that great!

Advice to Management

Stop the wrong people joining us, vet them, make them do trial shifts.

Mencap2017-05-20
  2. "Great people to work with"

Support Worker in Redruth, England

I have been working at Mencap

Pros

Great line/service managers, great co-workers.

Cons

Low wages comparing to the complex work

Advice to Management

Keep doing the amazing work, value your people, raise the hourly wages and pay more for the sleeps in.

Mencap2017-05-08

"injustice"

Current Employee - Night Support Worker in Totnes, England

I have been working at Mencap part-time

Pros

management have crushed the self worth of nights staff, whom work hard all night caring for disabled residents. They are paid terribly £7.50 p/h that is weekends as well and now mencap are paying the sleep staff £7.50p/h to sleep. I am pleased for the sleep staff, they deserve it but how can it be justified that being awake all night pays the same as somebody whom sleeps all night.

Cons

the service users. nice colleques

Advice to Management

you will lose good night staff, I myself will never now offer to cover nights, out of principle. I have been a good member of staff for 9 years. Stop treating your staff with contempt

Mencap2017-05-31

"Work life balance awful and pay appalling"

Current Employee - Support Worker

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff work incredibly hard Supported people are great Training isn't as good as it used to be Managers don't have time for teams

Cons

Good new you now get national living wage ? What about guidance from HMRC you should be paying £7.50 for all hours at work ?

Advice to Management

Voice of learning disabilities what about pay difference between senior management and other 5yrs and only increase is to national living wage ?

Mencap2017-04-25
  5. "Wrong career for me"

Former Employee - Social Support Worker

I worked at Mencap part-time for less than a year

Pros

can be good fun when working with multiple customers in groups. Helping customers with day to day tasks & doing various activities with them.

Cons

Not enough time when training to actually read all care plans etc before left to support customers on your own.

Advice to Management

Give time to go through care plans while training. One half hour shadow shift isn't enough time to be introduced to the customer, go through their routines and read folders of information.

Mencap2017-04-05
  6. "False promises and ever changing shift patterns"

Current Contractor - Support Worker in Plymouth, England

I have been working at Mencap for more than a year

Pros

Job satisfaction. Ensuring the people we support have a good quality of life and get the help and support required.

Cons

Very negative outlook. Shift patterns changing every week. Contract averaged out over four weeks. So week one could be a 10 hour working week but week two will be a 50 hour!

Advice to Management

Smile more!!

Mencap2017-03-29
  7. "Good to work for"

Former Contractor - Support Worker in Stratford-upon-Avon, England

I worked at Mencap for more than a year

Pros

Felt valued majority of the time, good team to work with, always had training up to date.

Cons

Sometimes a bit disorganised with shifts

Mencap2017-03-12

"Great staff, great tenants, HORRIBLE management"

Current Employee - Relief Support Worker in Battle, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuine job satisfaction, a feeling of helping others less fortunate to lead useful and productive lives. Freedom to explore new ground in the process.

Cons

Pay isn't good but you're not in this for the money. Management is a shambles. Sweeping statement but, rude, ungrateful, demanding and thinking that they're some sort of demi god, loving to assert their authority in front of others. Senior management no better, FIVE times I've been in a room with a top brass man and he's never acknowledged my existence once!

Advice to Management

Grow up

Mencap2017-02-28
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Male Support Worker in Enfield, England

I have been working at Mencap full-time

Pros

Rewarding job, every day is a new experience.

Cons

No cons for my own experience.

Advice to Management

Stay the way you are

Mencap2016-11-29

"Support worker"

Support Worker in York, England

I worked at Mencap

Pros

Flexible hours, working with some great individuals, unpressured environment, extra hours/sleepovers when available, some good managers.

Cons

Services erratically organised, some very poor managers, long hours, very low pay, poor work/life balance due to random shift patterns, Mencap place contracts and gaining new business over the people they support.

Advice to Management

I came across many poor, uneducated managers who had bad leadership skills, awful social skills and led many services into trouble. My advice would be to have a better, fairer vetting/recruitment process for managers. Many mangers at Mencap seemed to arrive at that position as 'there face fits' and they were pally with the established management team.

Mencap2016-08-12