Mentor Graphics Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

4.1
Mentor Graphics Chairman and CEO Wally Rhines
Wally Rhines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A great place to work, good work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Good work environment - not all the time (in 73 reviews)

Cons

1. "Solid company for electronic design"

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a recent college grad, this has been a great place to work. Not as high visibility as major tech companies (Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.) but EDA is a rewarding field with a myriad of interesting problems. You'll regularly bump into people who have been here 15, 20, 25 years.... there's a good reason for that.

- Generous higher education program; take non-degree courses or complete a graduate degree if you can!
    - Interesting subject matter. This is subjective, but I find the mix of software & hardware problems fun to think about
    - Good people. Mentor has been a fairly small company for 30+ years and is home to a lot of intelligent, down-to-earth people. I haven't heard too many horror stories.
    - Flexibility to move around and try different positions. I know people who have rotated between roles as AEs, instructors, Customer Support, managers, etc.

Cons

- Customers can be difficult.... meeting design deadlines means the stakes are quite high and a lot rides on the tools. You'll have to occasionally work weekends.
    - Travel can be quite high, depending on the assignment. Didn't expect 50% travel when I signed on... fortunately, that situation seems temporary.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Wally is well liked and has a keen understanding of the industry. Hope the Siemens acquisition treats us all well.

Mentor Graphics Response

Jul 5, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments! Like the other tenured employees you've bumped into we hope you have also found your 'home' here with Mentor.

"Fun Company to work for, if you work in the right group"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost everyone has their own office (aside from the rotational engineers and corporate marketing engineers, which are entry level positions, maybe a few others). This is nice, but can be very isolating if your team isn't social or your work doesn't require you to interact. Some groups are more social than others, which of course can make a difference in the work atmosphere. People are nice overall though. The company events, bonuses, and benefits are great. Currently there is an unlimited FTO policy, but that translates to about 5 weeks off a year. This may change soon with the acquisition. Overall, this is a great laid-back company to work for.

Cons

Depending on the group, there can be a bit of micromanagement, and some managers are more strict than others. Some require a stricter "time in/time out" or tracking of FTO (even though it's currently unlimited) while others don't. You get more perks (ie: free food/drinks) at work depending on your group. Work from home frequency varies between group as well. There also is a separation between support engineers, engineers for various Mentor products, and the Calibre team (which is treated the best as far as I can tell).

Advice to Management

Stop creating classes within the company. Everyone should be given the same flexibility and perks.

3. "Great place to work, flexible hours, great people"

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with work from home policy.

Cons

The company was recently acquired so it's hard to say what it will be like a year from now.

4. "6 month summer internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Intern - Intern in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food on campus, comfortable work environment, had my own office

Cons

You might not be working on something you are interested in

5. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great campus, and a great work environment. Lots of extras that aren't in the form of generous salary or benefits.

Cons

If you aren't working in the career you want to retire from, you shouldn't expect a lot of opportunity to move around.

6. "Great Place"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ethics, family first, benefits, culture.

Cons

I have no CONS regarding Mentor

Advice to Management

Relax a little bit

7. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work, wonderful people and campus outside Portland Metro area.

Cons

Internal growth and development a challenge in this environment.

8. "Generally good and stable"

Current Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team I am working for has a great deal of internal autonomy and hasn't been micromanaged (much) from above. It also has hired well and has not fired (or been forced to lay off) anyone recently.

The Oregon campus is lovely and has lots of perks (cafe, gym, etc.)

The company as a whole seems to value stability with steady growth rather than chasing the newest hot thing or quarterly trends.

Cons

The upcoming acquisition with Siemens leaves some doubt about my particular group's long-term viability. I think this applies to my group more than the company as a whole, so may not matter to people in different divisions.

Sometimes, my group's direction can be unclear and not always clearly related to overall company focus.

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales, Regional and Channel Sales Manager in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best in class technology and brand name. Great work culture, employees matter and are awarded well. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Some middle management turnover, but this is to be expected in most companies this size.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, so that layoffs do not really happen my at all. And continue to offer advancement opportunities.

10. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

great people to work with; amenities and benefits not typically found in older companies (tuition reimbursement; flex time off; good work-life balance); HQ perks are great; love that there is on-site child center; involved in the community; interesting products; career growth; you feel like you have a voice and are heard

Cons

sometimes we're not very good risk-takers which can hurt us; a lot of tenured employees (which can also be a Pro) that can be resistant to change; stale ideas in some departments; departmental silo effect syndrome

Advice to Management

keep an open mind; keep thinking outside the box and allowing employees to think outside the box; tear down the communication barriers