Mepco Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 10, 2018

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great internship experience!"

Former Intern - Surface Mining Engineer in Morgantown, WV
    Former Intern - Surface Mining Engineer in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Mepco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Small to mid size company. Great community feel and emphasis on quality.

Cons

No cons to list. The hours are long, but well worth the investment.

2. "Steady employment, but rather boring"

Current Employee - Office Staff (Decline to BE More Specific) in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Office Staff (Decline to BE More Specific) in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Mepco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You keep your job. Despite the layoffs in the industry, Mepco has been proud to keep from having to do that in the 40 years they've been there. You definitely have job security. Also, there is a minimum of office politics in the headquarters. It is rather rampant in the mines, though. The HR dept does listen to problems, and they have a great counselor on staff (David). They pay very well. No long hours, even for the salaried folks. If you work long hours in the mine, you get good overtime.

Cons

Nothing moves, ever. The same people are doing the same jobs for years. While the HR dept listens, it rarely does anything about your complaints. Change is difficult. They are currently going through a bankruptcy because of a guarantee of a loan on a sister company that is going through bankruptcy, so they have new owners. That's not the sort of change that is a good change, and when we emerge, I wonder what else will change.Communication is very poor, no one really knows what is going on. It has improved over the last year, but it is still short.

Advice to Management

Communicate more frequently to different levels. I don't mean the stuff everyone should know, but what direct reports should know about upcoming things. The top staff meet twice a week, but we hear none of that.