Meraki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Meraki General Manager Todd Nightingale
Todd Nightingale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good facilities like gym and free food (in 32 reviews)

• Cisco, Product, Snacks, office, free lunch (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • And middle management is heavy with talentless people leaders (in 10 reviews)

• Lot of politics/unhappy sales floor (in 7 reviews)

1. "Having a great time"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting problems across a fuller stack than most (firmware to Javascript). Lots of transparency in direction. Engineering has tons of input on what gets built, and the distribution of project management to individual engineering teams and individual engineers gives a great sense of control and ownership. Work/life balance is good, and deadlines are usually very reasonable.

Cons

Meraki is a pretty slim organization, and there is _always_ more to do. Because engineering more often hears feature requests from PM or support tickets than praise from customers, it sometimes feels like a slog. Also, although there is now a lot of focus on it, the career track in the engineering ladder isn't very explicit. Pay goes up, but there's no accompanying title.

Advice to Management

Be careful as we transition to a larger engineering organization; there are lots of decisions that will permanently affect the shape of the organization that are easy to make now but will be hard once they become the normal.

"Fun place to work but not long term"

I worked at Meraki full-time

Pros

It's Cisco! Great on the resume

Cons

You're just a number and can be replaced the next day.

3. "Great Place To Work!!!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, no cold calling, great culture, good benefits, management are not stuck up

Cons

Food is no longer as good as it used to be

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing.

"Network Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Great fun place to work.
    Free lunches.
    Plenty of opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

Being grossly underpaid for Bay area..! Everything's expensive here.

5. "Work in Progress"

Pros

Upper management open to feedback

Cons

Still a lot of work to be done

6. "Great employer!"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Versatile and expanding job responsibilities
    - A supportive team that are always striving to innovate
    - Great working environment and colleagues
    - Opportunities for growth
    - Perks! (Food, gym, events, trips, stock, etc.)

Cons

- Increasing process lag due to huge organisational growth
    - Support for parents could be better (think big Cisco childcare facilities)

Advice to Management

Keep the magic of Meraki by any means you can!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Good platform and products to back it up.

Cons

Meraki has changed drastically over the past 2 years. All of the early people that made this place great are gone now. They've brought in too many new outside consultants and 'process-driven' people to lead the sales reps. Soon, it seemed like every month we were being told about some new change to our process that was going to make things better.... yeah, not hardly.
    The change in leadership has resulted in countless new 'initiatives' and other things that have been added onto the sales reps plates, without really benefiting them - in short, it's killed the culture and vibe around the sales operation causing lots of people to leave

Advice to Management

You need to grab the handbrake and STOP trying to change everything. Look around at how many of the sales leaders, managers, and even directors have gone walking off into the sunset because of all the new changes you've tried to implement. Things are more complicated these days. Adding new steps and processes is not a guarantee for improvement -- if you continue to try and tweak/micromanage the sales reps and force them into more of this, they will continue to leave.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks like free lunch, lots of dogs and events/parties

Cons

The sales teams are poorly managed. Managers and directors have very little experience or training in actual management. Big "tied to your desk" culture if you are in sales. A lot of couches and stuff around but you actually aren't supposed to work from them. Success is highly territory based. Territories made by inexperienced management do not lead to successful splits. Real incompetence from directors and management in regards to inacting change for the group. Leaving a lot of people up to their own devices to outbound prospect without any tools to help. Follow the leader and being put in a good terrritory you can probably easily float to the top, but it's a real gamble. We have seen a lot fo people leave bc they aren't making any money. DO NOT believe them when they talk about a culture of achievement and try to convince you to take a pay cut.

Advice to Management

Think more holistically, top down, do something for your team more than being a cheerleader and passing down whatever the director says.... bc the director is just a manager that never received any training, that was just a salesperson who never received management training before that.

"Sales review of Cisco Meraki"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Meraki for 3 months now, and have hope my review helps anyone considering Meraki. I'll break it down into four things.

1.) Perks- the perks here are amazing. Multiple kitchens, fully stocked and always have fresh fruit and other healthy options. The lunch menu is incredible, and anyone complaining about it needs to get a reality check. We have different menus every day, and there's always full salad bar options as well (and an Ice Cream fridge).
    2.) Quota - One of the top questions I get asked is- can you hit quota here? Absolutely .I joined and hit (and exceeded) my quota in 3 months. Most of the people around me come close, or exceed as well. It does come down to territory though- I know some people who have bad territories can struggle, and I think they should be held to lower quotas than anyone else.
    3.) Management - Management is great. We have a new guy (Adam) who just replaced MItch, who was awesome. I constantly see all the managers being pulled into weekly meetings on culture, sales enablement, etc. This trickles down to us sales reps, since my manager is constantly coming to us and asking what we need from him to succeed. Anything I ask him, he works above and beyond to provide. As you may know, Meraki promotes from within exclusively, so everyone in the higher positions has worked in your shoes.
    4.) The product- it's easy to sell, easy to set up and damn good looking. I've worked in tech sales for 6 years now, and I'm amazed about how much people love our products.

Cons

Just like my pro section, I will break it down:
    - Salary- Lower bases which we hope will change in the near future. I know the average rep hits their quota, but a higher base pay will keep people around longer, especially in this competitive environment (Bay Area)

Advice to Management

Continue the perks and work/life balance. If the benefits decrease, the lower base pay won't keep many reps around. Other than that, keep up the hard work and the communication!

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Good people, fast moving, tons of autonomy, management cares.

Cons

Lunch often runs out too early