Meraki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Meraki General Manager Todd Nightingale
Todd Nightingale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good facilities like gym and free food (in 32 reviews)

• Free lunch, snacks, stock shares, games room and loads of out of office fun with activities and trips to Vegas amd San fran (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • And middle management is heavy with talentless people leaders (in 10 reviews)

• They've brought in too many new outside consultants and 'process-driven' people to lead the sales reps (in 8 reviews)

"Great Environment"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Salary, Food and snacks, Flexible management

Cons

Could be paying a better pay

"Mid-market sales needs help"

Former Employee - Meraki Mid-Market Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Meraki Mid-Market Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture is cool
    - Technology's an easy-sell.
    - 1st-level managers are good
    - Perks like lunch, benefits, building on the water

Cons

- "Meraki Roulette" for sales territories. Some strong, others terrible. Leadership has a hard time making it a level playing field.
    - Mid-market sales role showed as promotion path but not set up to succeed. Reps and managers leaving. After so many years here, sad to see so many people leave.
    - Meraki reps have to compete against Cisco most of the time, so not a good role if you don't like playing politics

Advice to Management

If mid-market is meant to be a promotion path, help the reps and teams there to succeed. Layers of upper middle management seem removed from life of a rep and understanding of the different territories and challenges. Data to use to give everyone a chance to succeed.

"Fun Company"

I worked at Meraki full-time

Pros

Great team of highly skilled engineers.

Cons

Management lacks proper experience at all levels to truly lead the workforce.

4. "Cool company"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

innovative fun cool place to work. very dynamic

Cons

very HQ centered, few opportunities outside SF

5. "Network Support Intern"

Pros

Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Not really a con, but the work can be challenging - and fun

6. "Field SE"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Great company, colleagues, products, projects, fun activities

Cons

None I can think of. it's hard work, fast paced tech sales.

Advice to Management

Work more on careerpaths

"(hyper) growing pains"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome office, catered lunches, still growing, 4 (almost 5) out of 6 products are fantastic and easy to sell. Cisco name opens doors, good resume builder if you're a junior sales rep.

Most of the sales reps are fantastic. Lots of team activities, you'll make some friends for life. Solid culture, moving away from "tech bro."

Great work/life balance but you should want to grind to be successful...no surprise here, typical expectation of sales.

Sales reps are compensated hourly so chance to make overtime including on commissions (but recently that's changed thanks to a discouraging email from sr. leadership).

Cons

Most of the senior management that made this place inspiring and fun are gone. Sure they added to the "tech bro" scene of past.

Current sr. management at the top never sold, "closed" a customer at Meraki or, worse: are former consultants. Lots of insincere interactions with the big bosses with some minor exceptions who are still approachable and caring (please don't change!). This defeats the purpose of open floor-plan. Basically, open door policy but not really.

They've brought in more levels of leadership that just add another level of insincerity. Pretty sure they did that to avoid interaction with the common folk (inside reps) and focus more on the enterprise accounts (field) they're chasing. I get it...but really wish they brought in some inspiring, engaging and genuine leaders. The beloved flat leadership is long gone. Its a bizarre feeling having an awkward interaction with senior leaders.

Sr. Leadership wants to create a "culture of feedback" yet rarely seeks feedback: worse, does nothing when given feedback. Some chances for promotion but the path to promotion and interview processes are super sketch: lots of politics and "obnoxious aggression" (learned that in training recently...more on training below, btw). You will not get promoted on just performance, previous experience, contribution, etc. Will definitely need to be political.

Revolving door of sales reps on teams leaving managers to cover territories and completely ignoring your development. If you're a new-ish sales rep, this is tough. If you're a sales pro set in a good territory, this may be a good thing because you're left alone.

Your immediate manager for the most part means well. At least they were in your shoes, sold and can be trusted. Some are definitely better than other though. I like the "promote from within" aspect but that means you'll get some inexperienced managers here and there. At least they try. The vibe/rumor is most of the experienced reps and managers are disappointed with the changes made but not changes actually impacted by the feedback they provided.... so we will likely lose them as employees. Seems to be a cycle.

Course correction overkill and training upon training upon training. Like they're making up for previous feedback of lack of training. Lots of 'new' people even feel like this is overkill. Help us sell and make managers available, rest should be "optional" training.

Inside sales role is a combination of account executive, business development, channel sales, account management/customer success and part-tech support role. In a way, this is really good experience but definitely not designed this way. With all the process involved in selling the product, management hasn't kept up with what should be their #1 priority: moving obstacles out of the way to let a salesperson sell. No......please don't read this and do a training on "obstacles!"

1 of the 6 products impossible to sell due to early release...not fully baked. The other one is their bread and butter (switch) line that has just been plagued with recent issues. Hopefully this is fixed as its critical to what is sold.

....and finally:

PAY.....Nope, does not pay market value or even close. If you're a junior sales rep or making the move to tech sales, this is where they get you. If you have more than 3-5 years of tech sales experience, pretty much stay away. There was some hope recently for a "market correction" pay increase across the floor....with leadership and HR openly talking about it. Yep, untrue. Some got a slight bump but hardly the market correction. Once reality hit, senior leadership was like "we never promised anything." Yep, you definitely did.

Advice to Management

Meraki will be successful one way or another thanks to Cisco and mostly amazing product. Be genuine and inspiring to the people that are getting you there. Don't be surprised if there is more turnover.....but it is up to you to change it.

8. "Fun job"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Everyone shares knowledge. Fun workspace

Cons

No career growth within the Support Engineering role.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the most amazing company I've ever worked at. I'm active military and currently in sales here - the way they've treated me while having to leave for a tour is absolutely amazing. I've seen some excellent leadership in the military; however, Meraki is unparalleled. The culture here is amazing, the product is the best I've ever seen, and it's by far the best place to work. The manger I fall under and the Director above him are top notch, blue chip, as good as it gets. Google themselves could call me up, offer me more, and I wouldn't leave. I couldn't ask for a better place to work at. Don't believe the negative reviews; this place is legit. I encourage anyone thinking about taking an offer here to gladly accept. It doesn't get better than this. We pick our jobs based on our bosses and leadership; this place is where you want to be for a very long time. I've also never seen a company promote within so much. Invest your career here if you want to continue to grow organically and love where you work.

Cons

Nothing - Don't ever change

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and don't change a thing.

"Having a great time"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting problems across a fuller stack than most (firmware to Javascript). Lots of transparency in direction. Engineering has tons of input on what gets built, and the distribution of project management to individual engineering teams and individual engineers gives a great sense of control and ownership. Work/life balance is good, and deadlines are usually very reasonable.

Cons

Meraki is a pretty slim organization, and there is _always_ more to do. Because engineering more often hears feature requests from PM or support tickets than praise from customers, it sometimes feels like a slog. Also, although there is now a lot of focus on it, the career track in the engineering ladder isn't very explicit. Pay goes up, but there's no accompanying title.

Advice to Management

Be careful as we transition to a larger engineering organization; there are lots of decisions that will permanently affect the shape of the organization that are easy to make now but will be hard once they become the normal.