Meraki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Meraki General Manager Todd Nightingale
Todd Nightingale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good facilities like gym and free food" (in 32 reviews)

• "Free lunch, snacks, stock shares, games room and loads of out of office fun with activities and trips to Vegas amd San fran" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "This has created high turnover and middle management who don't know how to manage up or below them" (in 12 reviews)

• "They've brought in too many new outside consultants and 'process-driven' people to lead the sales reps" (in 8 reviews)

1. "CAM"

Current Employee - CAM in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CAM in Austin, TX

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work at!

Cons

Don't really have many cons

2. "Great Company but has come with growing pains"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, values personal and professional growth, great work/life balance

Cons

Tribal knowledge problems (you can't find answers by searching for them, you only know by asking someone else.) Lots of attrition and turnover with sales leadership, causing morale issues with sales folks. Lack of engagement from senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Focus on the little guys and propping them up.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with a diverse and highly motivated group of around 250 friendly engineers with kick-ass sales and support teams. Even at this scale, this part of Cisco grows at a startup speed.
    Perks are somewhat on par with Google/Facebook - office design/food/coffee on handmade machines/happiness events/outings/gym/... requires time to learn about everything that is available to you.
    People generally enjoy working at Meraki or even just hanging around or playing board games after office hours. This is not just saying but it is obvious and noticeable starting from the onsite interview and then during regular working days in the office but also at the outings and many social events that are organized in the company.
    Full stack - from HW/C++ to Scala/Rails/React.

Cons

Seems like other parts of Cisco are not happy with Meraki receiving special treatment and keeping independence but that's possible for a reason - the process of Merakifying Cisco

Advice to Management

Focus on reducing the onboarding time and catch up with FANG with compensation.

4. "great company, some growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people and the non-hierarchical set up are crucial. i like that everyone is willing to help if you have a question, or just want to learn something new. The benefits are great, and the office is beautiful.

Cons

pay is not as competitive as other places
    starting to feel more corporate, less open

Advice to Management

meraki magic= openness to learn and to be wrong. we are becoming more 'cisco-fied'. we are growing quickly and need more senior management, which is fine, but in an effort to diversify ourselves from being a young mans start up, we have made some questionable hiring choices. it's just something to be aware of.

5. "support"

Current Employee - Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food and casual office

Cons

Too much management. Emphasize on stats only

Advice to Management

Just stop, please, stop

6. "Truly Amazing"

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meraki is one of those companies where everyone there walks through the door passionate about the products and mission. I was there for almost five years and can say that without a doubt it was the best place I will ever work in my life.

Cons

There were pains with how fast we grew in 2013, but those are ironed out.

Advice to Management

Keep the ship moving in this direction and Meraki will continue to make waves!

"Retains independence from Cisco"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be honest, I did not have high expectations when I applied; mostly because of a poor experience interning with Cisco some years ago. However, after going through the interview process of coming to the office and meeting my future team, I was convinced to join even though I had other offers from places I had ranked higher at the beginning of my job search (including a fast growing profitable biotech startup that was offering 10% profit share).

I was searching for culture and work life as the utmost important items for my job search this time around, and believe I chose correctly. Here are some reasons why:

- No workaholic culture here; I'm in the office working 8 hours a day and that's normal. There are those that work more, but that's self-driven. Many in leadership are now old enough to have kids, and the expectation from above is this isn't a place where your life is expected to be devoted to work.

- That being said people are not apathetic or lazy. In fact the people I work with hold themselves to a very high standard, even though we already are many levels of quality above what competitors in the same space try to imitate.

- The people I work with day to day are very smart; previously working for places such as Apple, Facebook, Nest, etc.

- This might seem trivial, but the interior decorating at the office is the best I've ever worked at, and I would not have previously held that in high regard as something to care about but it makes coming into work feel just a little nicer every day.

- Culture-wise, openness and transparency are valued not just in a mission statement but in actual practice.

- It's not perfect, but management genuinely cares about making Meraki a welcoming place to work for ALL. Like almost all tech companies, the demographics are skewed in the engineering department, but efforts are underway to be more diverse.

- Opportunity to work on everything ranging from firmware to React

- Business performance is excellent, growing extremely quickly

- Pay matches other top companies in the area

Cons

- The aforementioned diversity issue; though unfortunately not any worse than any other place I've worked. And as I stated earlier, it's an actual priority of management.

- Some process aspects are not perfect, something typical of a formally smaller company transitioning into another tier.

* Career ladder is not well defined though new guidelines have been released recently for some roles

* I was asked a few algorithmic coding questions when I interviewed which I personally think are poor for determining candidate quality. But there are no formal reviews around interview questions like tracking how they correlate to job performance later, or if they favor certain types of candidates, etc. which I think would be useful. I was asked one very open ended collaborative project type question in my last on site interview though, so there are individual interviewers that go above and beyond.

- Management can sometimes seem like they're figuring it out as they go along, which they are. A Google study found that the least important quality in a manager is technical expertise; great news for the mostly MIT PhD upper management! Jokes aside, even though many managers have fallen upward by nature of being there earlier as more people were hired (very standard), none are complacent or stuck in their ways. Every manager I've seen is held accountable by both themselves and others and is always trying to improve, which is better than 95% of other places.

Advice to Management

I think there's more that can be done to improve inclusiveness. More effort into planning things across teams, even if it's just lunch. Many people eat lunch at their desk and I don't think it's because they think they can't take time away from work; rather they don't feel like they have a group to eat with. Maybe an official engineering lunch rotation that's much more frequent than the 3:3 lunches.

Also, wider culture and behavior often is reflected from what managers demonstrate. Most (including management) in engineering are introverts. Management might need to personally take it upon themselves to act more social/inclusive to truly affect that change.

"Inside Sales Leadership is Lost"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are working for a growing business division within the vast Cisco portfolio of products. Nice office, youthful work culture.

Cons

After a mass exodus of top sales and leadership talent through 2017, Meraki decided to fill those holes with very questionable backfills and the organization is feeling the pain this year. Poor leadership, extremes of micromanagement to leaders who bring very little value to the table. In short, most of them were grossly over-promoted. This has created high turnover and middle management who don't know how to manage up or below them. At Today's Meraki you are getting all of the downside of working for a rigid corporate environment of a large company, as well as all the downside of a growing start-up where everything feels frenetic, mismanaged and anxious with HR issues awaiting you at ever turn.

Advice to Management

Start hiring managers with more experience, at all levels!

"Serious network engineers: stay away"

Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free equipment
    Snacks/coffee
    Video game/pinball room
    Diverse workplace
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Disconnected and indifferent management
    Heavy workload
    Widespread responsibilities that have nothing to do with network engineering
    Lack of autonomy in one's workflow
    Underwhelming products (from a network engineering perspective)
    Company will not invest in your professional development (I had to take PTO to take network certification exams, which I had to pay for training with my own money and study on my own time)
    Pay does not match the cost of living in San Francisco
    Telecommuting is very uncommon
    Strange and strict hours (example: you can be expected to work 0600-1500 one day then 2000-2400 the following day)
    Loud workplace
    Unclear promotion structure

Advice to Management

There is no incentive to work hard here.

Your obsession with KPIs (availability, case closures, SLA, etc) just lead to employees gaming your system

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture
    People

The people at Meraki are vibrant and enthusiastic. Team events and outings are very common. This is a company that does it best to separate itself from the traditional cisco culture.

Cons

As one person already stated you will be playing territory roulette. Get a good territory and you’ll have a chance to succeed, if not you have NO chance. There is consistent praise for reps that do well and blame put on reps that don’t due to poor work ethic. There is consistent promise for change but nothing is ever done. Reps seem to be exiting weekly.

Advice to Management

Create a truly level playing field or you will continue to lose the quality people that made meraki great.