Meraki Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meraki CEO Todd Nightingale
Todd Nightingale

Pros
  • Good facilities like gym and free food (in 29 reviews)

• You can always get free lunch , drinks and snacks (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management just kinda goes with the flow (in 9 reviews)

• The natural career path at Meraki is from inside sales rep to field rep or team manager (in 6 reviews)

"Great Opportunity For Career Progression!"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Meraki is growing rapidly, and with that comes a lot of opportunity to advance in your career. If you are ambitious, self motivated and determined to succeed you can move up pretty quickly. I believe the sales department as a whole promoted over 40 people last year. Once you are here, it's pretty hard to ever want to ever leave the company due to its positive work environment and growth within Cisco.

- Lots of tools and resource to utilize to help further and better your career
    - Visibility to leadership teams and VP
    - Fun and trusted colleagues
    - Awesome office perks and environment!

Cons

- More cohesion throughout the different departments in the company

Advice to Management

Continue to invest more in your teams professional development!

"Solid engineering, exciting business, great soul!"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Meraki recently as a software engineer, and I'm loving it! The engineering is both unique and interesting. Many of the product teams work in both firmware and web development. Part of the reason I joined was because I think that cloud-managed network in devices was a unique opportunity to straddle both engineering worlds. You'll find a broad mix of engineering talent as peers--a lot of smart people doing work in testing/tooling/security/design/product.

The work environment is colorful, fully stocked with food/espresso machines/game rooms. But my favorite thing so far are the people: super friendly, helpful and smart people who care about the product. Everywhere I've turned, people are welcoming, talkative and will extend a hand to help you out. This place has got great spirit--creativity, kindness and passion. Even beyond integrating new hires, considerable time/money is spent to bring together people on different teams through events/lunches/community groups/etc. Another reason I joined was because I believe the business behind the business is solid and has a high ceiling for growth. I'm still new, but based on what I've researched/heard/experienced, Meraki is growing fast and doing a great deal of interesting engineering work.

Cons

None as of yet -- I'm really enjoying Meraki so far.

"Unrealistic Quotas, SEXIST Culture & Poor Middle Management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, of course it has its flaws. But overall, it's easy to sell Meraki products and it works fairly well and most customers love Meraki products once they start using it. The people are fun and friendly, and there are many perks such as a nice office, free lunches/snacks/drinks, and off-site activities such as Giants games, happy hours, etc.

Cons

Territories are divided to match Cisco territories, but they do not set quotas based on historical sales or based on actual data (Cisco does this, as any legitimate sales team should). Instead, Meraki management takes the lazy route and just applies the same quota to all territories, regardless of the differences between territories (which can be significant). This makes some territories impossible to attain quota, while others are enjoying sales at 4x quota. Quotas are set based on "top-down" approach, and not necessarily based on realistic numbers and data. Also, there are no female managers (or very few) and most don't last long. Middle management is promoted from within, which allows for salespeople to advance. But unfortunately it's existing male directors who just promote their buddies, and it is not based on actual performance and skill. Also, once they become a sales manager, they do not invest in training them. The result is a lot of inexperienced, male managers running the show. There is a lot of expectation to attend happy hours and support the male-dominated, drinking and party culture. There are countless times where female employees, including myself, had to suffer through constant sexist remarks made on the sales floor by salesmen and managers, and even the managers join in rather than extinguishing this kind of culture. HR is no help. The women that were in management positions and have since left the company for other jobs, seem to all have the same feedback. They were boxed out by other male managers and sexism was obvious at every turn. They were just not taken seriously so they went elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Squash the sexist culture. Start hiring and promoting more women. Invest in training your managers or hire better ones.

5. "unfortunately merged to Cisco"

I worked at Meraki full-time

Pros

creativity, innovative products, people, and prospects

Cons

sold to Cisco and went downhill

"The Soul Has Been Extinguished"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees, very nice people to work with

Cons

No career trajectory, no coaching, no growth. Makes if difficult to be excited when top talents are neglected. Your opinions don't count. And middle management is heavy with talentless people leaders

Advice to Management

Learn how to coach and traine employees for career growth or bring in a consultant from the Cisco mothership to teach how it can be improved

"Limited opportunity for Sales Women"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Cisco looks great on your resume. Free lunch. Free Snacks. Nice office.

Cons

Sales management is primarily men and the culture reflects that. Offensive language on the sales floor can be heard on a daily basis, with little to no consequence. Thankfully there are a few managers who are making an effort to change this. There are know examples of leaders with a history of abusive language on the sales floor, multiple infractions with HR, romantic interactions with subordinates, open tasteless comments in front of the global sales team yet there are never repercussions. Many women on the sales floor have been impacted by this and only share their feelings in secrecy.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value women on your sales team. We need to know that we are valued.

"Overall a wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In general, Meraki is made up of a wonderful group of people. Driven, hard-working, and eager to make a difference. The vibe of the office is young and energetic with dogs running around and people skateboarding to meetings. The benefits at Meraki really couldn't be better. Free meals and snacks, fun events and trips, 401K, good health care plans, and so much more.They really know how to take care of their employees.

Cons

I found that as the company scaled, it lost a bit of it's charm. Perhaps a natural or expected thing to happen but it definitely felt more corporate towards the end of my time there. I know they were working on it but there could definitely be some work to improve communication around promotions. I, along with many others I've spoken with, were in the position where unclear expectations around an upcoming promotion led to being overworked and frustrated.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on communication around career growth and ensure that teams aren't overworked.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is great, benefits are amazing, and the people you work with are some of the best in the world at what they do. As long as Meraki can keep Cisco from imposing their culture on the place, it'll continue to grow faster than any other company in the networking industry.

Since the company is growing so quickly, and they tend to promote from inside, there's a decent promotion path for most department. Sales and support are likely the worst two departments to be in since turnover is relatively high, and there's just not a ton of room for growth. Other than that, you have quite a few options.

Cons

The free food gets old relatively quick as the menus don't change all that often. Also, need more office space as it's getting a bit cramped with the number of people working in the building. We're expanding in the near future though. So, that'll get fixed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Stay Away!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food and snacks
    - Dog friendly environment
    - On site gym

Cons

- Territory splits in most of the departments.
    - Unprofessional behavior at work.
    - There is no collaboration between teams in sales.

Advice to Management

I have delivered my concerns and complaints to management team but nothing changed.

"Horrific Middle Management & Constant "Locker Room" talk"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free Lunch (not that great)
    -Dog Friendly
    -On Site Gym

Cons

- don't expect to be able to take time off without getting resistance
     from your manager
    - long hours
    -most manager have had zero training or experience in managing a team
    -sexism
    -no clear path for career growth
    -SEXISM
    - low pay

Advice to Management

train your managers, seek to make the environment equal between men & women