Mercer Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin
Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is difficult to maintain (in 103 reviews)

• However, as a consulting actuary you have to expect long hours so if that's not for you try another job (in 58 reviews)

"Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smartest people and best intellectual capital in the industry.

Cons

Senior management is unrealistic in growth goals.

Advice to Management

Set aggressive but attainable goals and reward people appropriately for reaching those goals.

"Short sighted upper-middle management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits were fair. Flexible working arrangements, regarding hours and working from home. Talented co-workers.

Cons

Upper-middle management makes short-sighted decisions without any concern of the details of how to implement these decisions or the long-term impact. A more senior co-worker once told me that if they could fire someone to help the budget today, they would without any concern about how to make budget in a year.

Advice to Management

Think more long-term and listen to experience employees.

"Be Cautious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent, but going downhill. They are slowly taking them away. No more pensions, etc. Many people are able to work from home.

Cons

Layoffs like clockwork every year--outsourcing everything to India. They are getting rid of lifelong employees and replacing them with contractors; there is no employee loyalty.

Advice to Management

The bottom line should not always be the most important goal; employees should be your most valued resources, but you are losing sight of that.

5. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better culture than competitors, great team to work with.

Cons

Unpredictable hours, big firm problems that you would expect

6. "Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people - very collaborative culture and generally people who genuinely care about each other and the work they do

Career Growth - lot of opportunity lately to move up and around the company. They are doing a lot to give people the career path they want.

Work flexibility - managers generally good about flexible work arrangements

Cons

Rewards - could be a pro as well. Culture that if you're a star you get paid, if average may not see pay grow at a decent rate. company working hard to find the right balance though.

Advice to Management

Keep an ear to the ground of what's going on with people and how your messages are being heard. Don't lose touch with the broader organization.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mercer does a good job of keeping its employees happy. Time off is flexible, I haven't seen much employee turnover, and management is very understanding and is willing to help you grow. Seriously, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for some time now, and it hasn't. Not really sure why I am seeing people complain about the benefits on here. I don't think they realize how good they have it. My last employer charged $400 a month for bare bones health insurance, and benefits are really affordable here. I think it says something when you work with people who have been employed for 30+ years and they are doing well for themselves.

Cons

IT is a little slow at times, and the various programs I use sometimes crash. I guess this is a normal issue for large companies.

"Toxic Work Environment with No Culture"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

When you walk into a Mercer office, the first thing you'll notice is everyone is staring at their computer screens within their respective cubes. You could easily hear a pin drop. Within my former practice, there was minimal interaction and collaboration.

My supervisor was virtually never there. I saw him roughly 5 times during my 2 years at the firm - mostly just for performance reviews. I found it odd that someone who never really saw me in my work setting was leading my performance reviews. With his minimal presence, I also received minimal support when I needed it.

The "culture" is inexistent, however, the toxicity of the office place is very prevalent. Since there is minimal support and collaboration, everyone essentially watches out for themselves.

Advice to Management

There is an extreme disconnect between the employees and the senior management. I'm not surprised if senior management thinks everyone is enjoying their time at the firm because not much info seems to be delivered to them. Get more involved. I find it ironic that the firm provides Talent Retention Consulting Services for its clients when its own employees are always seeking to leave due to an overall unpleasant work experience.

"mercer review"

Current Employee - Tax and Economic Research Global Product Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work life balance, room for advancement

Cons

outsourcing jobs, health benefits are expensive,

"Comfortable career"

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- top firm in human capital space
    - very flexible work environment (e.g., easy to work from home, people are very respectful of your time/space)
    - get to work on lots of projects (staffing model is such that you will likely work on about 5 projects at a time)
    - management structure is lax (good for self-motivated people)
    - benefits seem good (company contributes 4% of your base to 401(k) plus they match 50% of the first 6% you contribute = max company contribution of 7% of your base)
    - compared to other consulting roles, hours are much more regular and not so intense (Analysts and Associates probably average 45-50 hours a week, bussiest weeks are 70-80 hours)
    - if you want a career in HR, Mercer is probably one of the best places to get your chops - lots of exit opportunities into corporate HR, Mercer brand is well respected in the market
    - limited travel requirements (could also be a con if you want to travel)

Cons

- compensation tends to be less competitive than comparable roles at other companies
    - work environment is not ambitious
    - it can be difficult to get staffed on projects beyond your team's core project work
    - lateral movement within Mercer is very difficult and changing teams is not aligned with company culture
    - while total hours worked is generally reasonable, you may be expected to work or at least respond to emails on weekends

"Generally satisfied with all aspects of role"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good benefits, and the salary is fair, and there are attractive opportunities for growth across the organization. All in all good place to work

Cons

Not all colleagues are equally driven, and management can be tough to navigate as the organization is so large and spread out.

Showing 119 of 1,502 reviews