Mercer Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Onwer Opp in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Onwer Opp in Louisville, KY

I worked at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to learn the broker side of things

Cons

no cons all good great company to work for

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing but that load board needs work

2. "Trucking"

Former Employee - Broker and Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Broker and Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health insurance. Pays above min wage. Learn about an industry

Cons

Mans world attitude. Low appreciation for employees. Lots of work for little pay

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees not just the drivers. While the drivers are the business, without the employees there wouldn't be a Mercer.

"Almost back to where they used to be"

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mercer is starting to act like a family again. Things changed for awhile and it seemed like they no longer cared about the employees. That has started to change. Truck Operations Management is more caring and approachable. This si the best HR department we've ever had. She gets things done and tries to always show the employees she cares. She's done things for employees that we have never seen. Favoritism seems to be a thing of the past although there are a few that maybe didn't deserve tehir positions. the pay and reviews is improving also.

Cons

it's hard to keep drivers with all the IT problems.If the system is down or not working correctly it makes our job more difficult trying to keep them happy.

Advice to Management

change IT. be patient with the older drivers that are learning the technology.

"Former Owner Operator (Faltbed)"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick pay. Steady freight. No forced dispatch.

Cons

Communication could use improvement but not a deal breaker

Advice to Management

Increase the pay to 80% from 75% with freight rates being down nationwide.

"Owner Operator"

Current Employee - Owner Operator
    Current Employee - Owner Operator

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice company, family orientated, fast settlement pay, will work with you to keep your truck on the road, Recruiters are great, Coordinators are great well mine is anyway. If you are going to Louisville, KY and will be there by 12:30 p.m. or later you can call your coordinator in advance and you can order your lunch and it will bee there waiting for you absolutely FREE EVERY TIME!!!!!! please tell me what company does that. Also if you have your CDL with no driving experience and you have a partner; whether it be a spouse, friend, or relative that will allow you to come with them and train for 12 months. Now I know big companies don't do this. I worked for Schneider National, I know about CRST, CR England, Werner, US Xpress, Prime to name a few and there not doing that.

Cons

I can't think of one thing negative.

"It's been tough but you get to meet good people."

Current Employee - Truck Operations Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Truck Operations Coordinator in Louisville, KY

Pros

Management is approachable, room to move up, small company with large company benefits, good experience, and a fun place to work.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with people you do not agree with, bullying, rude drivers, training is sometimes hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Bullying is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Mercer Transportation Response

May 17, 2017 – Marketing Manager

It is our goal to provide a happy, healthy, safe work environment for all of our Staff, vendors, and contractors. Please talk with someone in HR or Management about your situation. We want to help... More

"Ready To Work..."

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Charleston, WV

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have meet some nice people. Work with some great load coordinators that was honest with me on load planning. Help me learn the good and bad freight lanes to run to make money. Hometime no problems.

Cons

Alot of cheap freight. Saying that cause you figure in fuel surcharge with the load pay. When you have multiple stop offs,more the 2 its a favor driver not getting paid what should be. $1.35 rates are quite to common. Sit alot. Hard to keep your equipment up to your standards hauling cheap freight. Mercer protects Mercer they dont really care about all they're drivers the way they say. Very quick to get whats owed to them but drivers have to wait on they're detention pay. Need better brokers to book better load rates.

Advice to Management

Take care of all your employees and they will take care of you. Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, "What's in it for me

8. "It's been great here"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience awesome coordinator make decent money, very seldom do I sit without a load.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say they help me when my truck goes down, check in on me, and keep me moving all while getting me home on a regular.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Mercer Transportation Response

May 17, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for the review. We appreciate your kind words and are really glad that you're happy!

"A mixed bag"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are the captain of your ship here. They expect you to know your business needs and cost. They do not hold your hand and tell you were or how to go. Find your own loads or let them run you it's your choice.

Cons

IT DEPARTMENT HAS COST ME MORE MONEY THAN I CARE TO MENTION. FIX YOUR CRAPPY IT DEPARTMENT NOW!! You force us to use it fix it. It's down or malfunctioning more than its up. That's money out of my pocket. It takes agents up hrs to book and dispatch drivers on loads by then the load disappears or makes us late to pu r del. Makes us look bad. They do play favorites with the big trucks. They get offered loads we as plain trucks never see. Dedicated runs if you want to pay agents the kickback fee to be put on them.
    The average flatbed rate at end of Nov is 1.57 cpm. But that's due to the 3.00 cpm for the 300 miles or less loads. Van is 1.25 cpm.

Advice to Management

Please stop lying to drivers. You know these agents are not honest and only offer rebrokered freight. Mercer has very few of their own customers. That claim is bogus. You cannot claim a ch Robinson type as a customer. Most agents have their own brokerage and then rebrokered that freight to Mercer so by the time we as drivers see it it has already had 40% of that load taken by someone who hasn't worked for it, or placed on the trucks they own. Clean it up guys many are getting sick of it and soon you want exits only as a bad memory.

"Needs a overhaul"

I have been working at Mercer Transportation full-time

Pros

Friendly employees, decent rates, and been around a long time.

Cons

The IT department is terrible. Things never work when they're supposed to. No one ever held responsible even though they affect our livelihood. Management gets a bad reputation but seem to try to be fair if you do the same.

Advice to Management

Redo your IT departmen. We've been given no options about going mobile and using the resources but the apps and other things don't work half the time.