Merchant & Gould Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Brian H. Batzli
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Firm to Practice Law"

Current Employee - Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Merchant & Gould full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm does a great job of putting attorneys in a position to succeed. Associates get to work with and be mentored by partners on a regular basis. The partnership has a strong work ethic and pushes everyone on billed hours, so everyone from corner-office partners to junior associates will be in the trenches together. Work-life balance is solid. If you need to take time off for family issues, everyone is very understanding. Similarly, if you need to adjust your schedule around children or other family needs, that is no problem. For a big firm, it is surprisingly relaxed about this.

The support staff (assistants, IT, docketing, copy center, HR, etc) is excellent. I have done quite a bit of work with attorneys from satellite offices and that has gone quite smoothly - although I am glad I am in the main office. The attorneys are generally of very high caliber - if I were a potential customer, I would certainly hire M&G for IP needs.

Cons

The firm (and especially the partnership) is quite political and rather cliquish. If you have a regular group / work source, you are in good shape. But attorneys who don't find a patron can quickly find themselves lost - and it is definitely your responsibility to find such a group or patron. "Minnesota nice" (where the main office is located) means you won't ever be abused, but it also means that you may not get feedback you need. Salary is quite competitive, but associates are not given 401k matching, life insurance, disability insurance, or other normal benefits.

2. "Accounting Specialist"

I worked at Merchant & Gould full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and good bonus.

Cons

Did not get much feedback on how I was doing.

3. "Good place to work, not very forward thinking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Merchant & Gould full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, staff are very friendly. Benefits and salary are pretty good. Not a ton of micro managing and I always felt treated like I was a professional and my point of view was valued. I enjoyed coming to work every day.

Cons

Not very forward thinking- budgets are cut to the point where it's hard to do one's job successfully but it falls on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

If you try to cut back to bare bones, the quality of work is going to go down. This is a well respected law firm full of hard working people who want to do what's best for the firm and the clients. If budget cuts have to be made, why do you keep on taking on lateral partners or opening offices?

"Intellectual Property Drafting"

Former Employee - Patent Illustrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Patent Illustrator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Merchant & Gould full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never Dull. Worked on thousands of different products. Patent and Trademark work. A lot of very friendly people to work for

Cons

Having to create line drawings by tracing photographs and chicken scratches which were submitted as informal drawings just to have something on file at the patent office

"Do lawyers make good business managers?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Merchant & Gould (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are generally good to work with and for. No lack of work and company's niche in IP law ensures they'll remain busy. Benefits are very generous, work environment is decent if not above average. Relaxed yet professional.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Company doesn't invest in IT like it should. Doesn't make an effort to keep good employees.

Advice to Management

Modernize the business management side of the house. Invest more in technology and IT. Look beyond the law firm sector for ideas to better the company.

"Disorganized and Political, but good experience and well compensated."

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Merchant & Gould full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, easy hours (comparatively), decent training, big firm experience at a smaller IP firm.

Cons

Way too much politics at the partner level, the first has only recently expanded so the distribution of work is very disorganized, difficult to get attorneys on the phone because they're all being pulled in a million different directions.

Advice to Management

Need a better management structure for distributing work to associates.

7. "Solid firm with great people"

Pros

The firm is full of great people who are a pleasure to interact with. The firm is big enough to have a huge variety of expertise, but small enough to still be fairly close-knit.

Cons

The sharing of information could be better at times, especially between the offices. It would also be good for the partners to share more of their vision for the firm.

Advice to Management

It would be good for the practice group leaders and partners to share more of their vision for the future of the firm.