Merchant e-Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Marcelo Bernal and Trevor Rubel
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"I love my job and the teams I work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Diving into working at Merchant e-Solutions this year has been an incredible, whirlwind experience. We transitioned our corporate office from Redwood City, CA to Atlanta, GA, making 2016 an interesting year for us. In June, I was surrounded by 80% newly hired employees - all amazing, passionate, and knowledgable, with decades of industry experience.The transition has been far from a breeze, but getting to take part in the changes and growth that are happening around here makes it worth it. I hope our teams continue to engage with each other in and outside of work as it will only strengthen our collaborative approach.

Our offices are BEAUTIFUL; we are so lucky to come to work in such an inspiring space each day - you are able to have meetings in a swing or breakaway for a few minutes in the game room. In Atlanta, staying after hours offers you with one of the most breathtaking sunset views of our city's skyline. Definitely a non-work related perk.

Special shout outs to Tom, Monique, and Bruce who encourage employees to grow, make an impact, and have a little fun along the way.

I can't wait to see what we accomplish in 2017.

Cons

Buckhead traffic around the holidays

"Smart, upbeat & makes money - what more could you ask?"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the happy attitude, cross-cultural, and gender-equitable environment here. People generally smile and laugh and get the job done well.
    IT and engineering have regular, short time-blocked meetings to share progress or blocks. We all work together as a strong unit in a modern work space, using modern methods and upgrading the old into the new and scalable
    This year, across the board, we're modernizing: systems, infrastructure, code base, and the website.
    If you like the feel of a smart, modern, young company, but want the safety net of large parent company (instead of VC money), this is the place for you.

Cons

It's tough to change a static fire-fighting culture into an Agile, modern organization with trackable, regular releases. The past management used a non-scalable (often w/ hard-coded fixes), with a top-down, fire-fighting approach. However, in spite of some of the old-timers who didn't want to change their work habits, we're managing to steer a new course,. Those who can't change have been leaving, so soon it will be a 100% modern Agile company.

Advice to Management

Maybe you could give the people who leave a package w/ a requirement not to defame MeS, at the cost of the release package? Sour grapes can sweeten up with dollar signs.

"Awesome work environment. Laid back"

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is very laid back and good pay. Go to work, do your job and then you get to go home!

Cons

Don't really have any downsides :)

Sep 21, 2015 – CEO

We are happy that we are creating an environment that allows you to have a work-life balance. We appreciate your review.

Tom Bell
    CEO

"Good company turning into a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined in early 2015 and I've seen a fantastic transformation throughout the year. I think MeS floundered for a few years after they were acquired by Cielo but now they are on track for a huge comeback. New management, new product management and a new focus on building cool payments software are making MeS a fun place to work and learn.
    There's a lot of work to do and creative new ideas are encouraged.

Cons

Still need to add more engineers but overall it's a good place to work with a fair workload. If this is something you can help with please come and join us. :)

Sep 21, 2015 – CEO

We are happy to have you on the team!
    We have engaged outside agencies to help us find the best engineers in the area. We have also established employee-referral programs to expand our pool of... More

"Incredible Transformation Underway - The negative reviews don't reflect the current atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

MeS is actually a great place to work, especially within in Engineering & IT. There are a tremendous amount of opportunities to make a difference as an individual and as part of an evolving world-class team. We have a ton of great projects that are focused on building the next generation of infrastructure services and applications, better integration with our partners, and leveraging Cloud platforms to scale and innovate.

Regardless of what you may have read in some of our negative reviews on this site, this company is built upon and embraces a diverse, multi-cultural workforce and is laser-focused on employee satisfaction.

If you're interested in being challenged, working with a great team, being rewarded for your efforts and being directly involved in the next phase of this profitable, innovative and Internet technology focused company, then you should join us.

Cons

The downside is really limited to a couple of things. First, there are still a few negative straphangers that are resistant to the all of the positive changes that have been made or are currently underway, which has an impact on team morale. These "few" offer very little value to their peers or the company and seem to be the source of most of the drama.

What's particularly interesting is there's a direct correlation to the resignation or termination of these individuals and negative reviews on this site. So even on their way out the "few" work to undermine their peers and a great company.

Advice to Management

We're making great strides transforming and modernizing this business so let's keep up the intensity, sense of urgency, and our recruiting efforts. Communication is key and as employees we enjoy staying informed and being kept in the loop, so in addition to the quarterly all-hands meetings, I would recommend a monthly newsletter or similar that briefly reviews the progress and status of each area of the business. And.... work harder to manage out the "few" bad eggs.

6. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Products. Great Partners.

Growth opportunities in Sales, Business Development, Product, Engineering.

Cons

MeS was originally a Silicon Valley Start up. I've heard older start ups referred to as 'Grown-Ups'. The biggest con would then be considered Grown-up pains.

Mar 3, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. MeS was founded in 2000 and now that we are over 15 years old, the leadership team is developing a vision for the next 15 years. Our MeS 2.0 vision will outline an... More

7. "Exciting changes happening"

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

management really making an effort to create a good work environment. Lots of changes in HR policies with new bonus program, career management and several people being promoted. Much faster pace, but very exciting be part of the team.

Cons

Relatively new management creating new culture. Still early to know if they will succeed.

Advice to Management

listen to employees and ensure that critical people are well taken care of.

"Well on its way to being the best place to work!"

Current Employee - Department Lead in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Department Lead in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After the changes that have occurred in the last two years I just had to amend my prior review. Fun, friendly atmosphere with management that is very Accommodating to family life and personal growth opportunities. Benefits keep getting better and better and the company events for employees are so much fun. This is quickly becoming a great place to work and I have high hopes for a bright future. Recently moved to a new location that is outstanding in every way!

On a personal note the upper management really seems to care about the employees. Everyone is treated with respect. I have never worked in a company where people with acronyms in their titles would mingle and chat with every staff member in the building on a daily basis. The people and the changes make this the place I want to retire from.

Cons

Some interdepartmental communications can be rocky but that is improving.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees in the trenches and providing quality of life improvements.

"Consultant's Perspective"

Pros

The company recently pivoted from a poorly-positioned relic of the dot com to a leader in merchant services. Sound investment in the technology necessary to compete at every level. Bright outlook for both ownership and employees.

Cons

Some disgruntled employees due to nearly full turnover in the past 18 months. Example includes another review about a so-called "corrupt CTO" and his "buddy". I'm the so-called "buddy", who actually happens to be someone who is very good at what he does, and works for a CIO who knows how to build a solid team. I also have no personal affiliation with the company's CIO outside of a professional role. I am incredibly proud of what we've accomplished in the past 18 months, which includes a full re-build of all IT services from the ground, up.

It's unfortunate that those who collected a paycheck to practice mediocrity find it necessary to slander the people who are helping to make this company great.

Advice to Management

Continue doing exactly what you're doing. Everyone is thrilled to be here and the future is bright.

"A True, Hardworking Team Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

The new facility/corporate office is beautiful and conducive to a great working environment. The people that work there, from the front lines to the C-Suite, are down to earth, hardworking, loyal, and supportive co-workers and friends that teach you more than you can imagine, but also people who you can genuinely trust. There is a very cohesive "team spirit" feel and a legitimate support system that comes from the CEO, COO, CIO, a CC agent, an IT Help Desk associate, whether remote or in the corporate office - all the same. It's a rare, laid back work environment, yet is extremely productive and well-compensated for hard workers that want to build and grow a long-lasting awesome place to work.

Cons

The only downside that is noticeable are the couple of "bad apples" that have been given many chances to hop onboard of a quickly moving, positive, profitable company and are choosing to continue to purposely attempt to cause issues for others, presumably attempting to mask their own ineptness within their department. Their aversion to change, growth (personally and professionally), and working full time hours is astounding considering their salaries are of a severly disproportionate amount for what the're actually contributing to the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! You have, and are still, creating the best environment in which I have ever worked!! Continue to purge the unnecessary, negative people and bring in the great talent that you have been over the past couple of months.