Merck Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Merck"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Merck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company. A lot of opportunity. People here still love science.

Cons

Promotions are based on what project you work on. And if you don't get the top projects you will not get promoted.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "A good company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people with a focus on the science, and a can do attitude that get projects from "well can this work?" to a final answer. Also, business decisions made by management are implemented quickly, and efficiently with a view towards practicality and reasonableness. Also, the management team explains the purpose of their decisions and what the expected outcome for the company is intended. Top-to-down communication from management team is, in my experience, unparalleled and I know what was going on in other parts of the company on a day to day basis.

Cons

The demand for data is so driving that many of our project due dates seemed to be due the day before we received the project of which always put a great deal of pressure to produce hard data fast which can and did lead to mistakes which caused delays.
    Also, though upper management was very good at information distribution, local management wasn't as forthcoming and so often times we knew what was going on in the greater company more than we did in our own site.
    The last is that unless you have a Ph.D. career advancement opportunities at this company are minimal.

Advice to Management

Communication is fantastic from upper management, but local management needs to improve their communication distribution to the same level

Showing 2 of 2,163 reviews