Mercury General Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mercury General President, CEO, and Director Gabriel Tirador
Gabriel Tirador

Pros
  • Annual Christmas bonus for 2 weeks of pay (in 26 reviews)

• Great environment, company always does things for employees such as company picnic, customer service week, holiday bonus etc (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is all over the place and kept in the dark from their underlings (in 18 reviews)

• High stress, little room for advancement, need more training on systems (in 8 reviews)

1. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Subrogation Specialist in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Subrogation Specialist in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Mercury General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

It can be a bit stressful at times but that's to be expected at any job

"Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Mercury General full-time

Pros

Management tries really hard to make it a family type atmosphere and bring fun into the workplace, however the metrics employees are measured on are micro managed. It is a tough balance.

Cons

Micro management. Every action is measured and analyzed.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward the good team players and only discipline those that need it.

"I mean, it wasn't that bad. I guess."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Mercury General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent and I enjoyed my co workers. Christmas bonus was nice. I've read reviews bashing management for spending time gossiping or chit chatting with each other all day. This is definitely true for some but not all. I did have a manager that was one of those and it was very hard to respect her title. She would literally hide so she didn't have to take any escalated calls, but the other managers I worked under were all great. One in particular was awesome and she was probably the only reason I stayed at this job as long as I did. Once I was placed on another team (they shuffle the csr's around every two years pretty much ensuring you'll be under a new manager) it really then started to feel like a job. Stopped being a fun place to work for me.

Cons

Very monotonous. I handled first notice of loss and billing. So I was dealing with people upset, understandably, that were needing to file a claim for a car accident or damages to their home, apartment, business etc. and folks calling in upset with an issue with their bill. This can be very draining. Luckily I had an 8 hour shift not sure how some of those folks survived doing it for 10 hours a day.

4. "It's a grind"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Brea, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Causal dress code, the holiday bonus equals two weeks of pay, 5 weeks of vacation after 10 years of service. The training programs are good.

Cons

The review structure keeps changing making it almost impossible to qualify for a raise. If you do qualify, they tend to be pretty small increases ( barely a cost of living increase). The Claims side of the business can't keep staff, they are constantly leaving. There is almost no movement on the Underwriting side of the business.

Advice to Management

The staff is told they are the Company's number one asset but don't treat them that way. They are burning out the staff. Morale is really low and management is either incapable of seeing it or changing it.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are great. Co-workers are nice and friendly. Alot of room to grow and employees are encouraged to apply with in the company.

Cons

Policies and procedures are inconsistent from supervisor to supervisor, training teaches one way but once you are out of training things start to change.

Advice to Management

Training and management need to be on the same page

"The experience involved heartache and harassing."

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My friends were those who were entry level. I could take a one hour lunch and think of more enjoyable subject matter.

Cons

No future. You begin to realize the harder you work the more work you receive, and that with little compensation.

Advice to Management

Please stop ignoring and evading your responsibilities.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and room for advancement

Cons

If you have a family and want a life other than working, do not work here. Insane claim volume and management does nothing to help. No work life balance.

"Started off great but now I'm glad I'm leaving"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Christmas Bonus, Cool co-workers, some management is cool, PTO, weekends off

Cons

Where do I start....morale company wide is just on a decline. Departments are overworked and underpaid and its just not worth it. Things keep changing but not for the good and no one is listening to the frontline employees. If you want a paycheck go for it, if you value your sanity find another place to work. The call center has no upward mobility or advancement, other call centers in the area have so many opportunities. If you're a person that doesn't value yourself or your potential then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop stepping all over the employees that do the most for you, focus aggressively on retention and maybe you'll stop losing tenured & qualified workers.

"Claims Specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a holiday bonus.

Cons

The claims department, and consequently as time goes on, the company as a whole, is a disaster of epic proportions. Protocol is inconsistent, incentive and motivation are non-existent, and employees are fleeing en masse. Recent salary hikes were done on a hush basis because they know they underpay the staff they rely on the most and that they are barely bringing their pay up to standard for the industry. New initiatives are announced, then abandoned, and no one can keep up. The workload has been referenced in every other review, but you'd still be shocked by the expectations. There are some managers that care about the people they oversee, but most see their staff as numbers. Of course the volume causes workers to fall behind, underwhelm, and flounder, and when this happens you are threatened and made to feel responsible for the company's failings. So experienced, valuable employees leave, new hires come in, and the cycle continues, leading to a perpetually under-staffed and over-stressed environment. In short-this job is not for people who care about their own well-being.

Advice to Management

You all need to resign. Upper levels including CEO and upper management are so laughably out of touch it's embarrassing. If things don't change, the whispers among the staff about a buyout or closure will probably come to fruition.

10. "Good company"

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Brea, CA

I worked at Mercury General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chairman is owner and sets roadmap for company

Cons

Too many initiatives and work load is heavy for technology staff

Advice to Management

Expand other states and replicate the orgiinal success story from California