Mercury Marine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Pfeifer

Pros
  • Mercury pays very well and have great work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• A lot of good people to work with (and an occasional bad one of course) but by an large I enjoyed working there (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company headquarters are located in Fond du Lac, WI, small city with very few entertainment options (in 7 reviews)

• Also, the city of Fond du Lac is a dump, glad I didn't move there (in 6 reviews)

"Be Wary of Mercury Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK

Pros

Interesting products, good people.
    They have (had?) a company-wide process improvement program in place. If you could demonstrate that an idea could provide real savings for the company, then you had a genuine chance at procuring resources for the idea and, with success, a genuine chance at promotion.

Cons

Stillwater plant has now been closed.
    Benefits and compensation are not very competitive.
    High turnover rate in senior management.
    Information was typically articulated most clearly through the rumor mill.

Sorry to descend to the level of the anecdote, but without them I'm afraid my criticisms might simply ring hollow:

I worked at Mercury during the period leading up to the 2008 recession, when gas prices had doubled in under six months to nearly $5/g in Stillwater, and when the imminent collapse of the real estate market was obvious. The market for luxury goods, like those produced by Mercury at Stillwater, was already nearly nonexistent. The only plan articulated by management was an expectation that things would eventually get better. They literally had no plan for dealing with lean times in a market that they understood to be highly cyclical.

One morning we were called to a meeting in which it was explained that the company was looking at ways to cut costs, with no mention of specifics. On returning to our desks, we found an email stating that the company had canceled its contract with its coffee supplier. While I respect that some money was saved, the experience was absurd, and typical of management's habit of presenting an optimistic rather than straightforward version of reality. More importantly, management took no personal pay cuts that I'm aware of, and made no effort to communicate how more substantial cost saving measures were to be effected.

Until one morning when I arrived to find that my entire group had been called into our manager's office. Frightened for our livelihoods, we anxiously listened as the senior mid-manager explained that layoffs/forced retirements were planned for another group. It was sort of the reverse of having the rug pulled out from under you, but with the same emotional effect.

To borrow a coworker's phrase, senior mid-management seemed to develop a "hard on" for this tactic after I left. Given the way the Stillwater plant was closed (Mercury _publicly announced_ that they would close their Fon du Lac plant, then rescinded and closed the Stillwater plant) I now believe that they were just following the example of senior and corporate management.

The saddest part of this review is that, in all honesty, I can only label Mercury as a typical company at worst.

Advice to Management

Make a long-term, company-wide plan (including feasible solutions for risk management) that will survive management turnover. Include some goals. Follow it, and share it with your employees.

"Lead to believe I would receive adequate training. After two months training was nonexistent while many tasks changed."

Former Employee - Demand Planner in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Demand Planner in Fond du Lac, WI

Pros

Discounts on many of the corporation's products.

Cons

Struggling industry, work overload from many departments.
    Company is lost in Excel.

"learn how to treat people"

Current Employee - Auditor in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Auditor in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance from day one, big company with lots of room for movement, or so I was told

Cons

well, I was terminated after 5 weeks for "failure to fit into culture and department and not meeting expectations". I was interviewed by 6 different people and my manager made the "executive decision" to terminate me; I guess I not only fooled her but they other people I interviewed with separately. The place is a revolving door out in the plants. Also, the city of Fond du Lac is a dump, glad I didn't move there.

Advice to Management

treat people with respect

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pro's unless you happen to be one of the "chosen"

Cons

There are way too many to list.

Advice to Management

Quit protecting the under performers! Stop thinking you know it all ! Listen to your management team !

"Toxic place to work."

Current Employee - Sales in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The factory puts out a fairly competitive product. Long standing name in the marine industry is what keeps them alive.

Cons

If you are a yes sir type of person and dont want to be yourself then this company is for you. The most toxic part of Mercury is in the sales and marketing area. Dealers and employees have voiced concerns over the current management yet nothing happens. If you just say yes to everything then you will go somewhere. If not, be ready to be singled out and completely ignored. Lots of talk but no action from the management group. Never do they execute a plan to completion. Plenty of meetings, busy work and spending of money with little return. Market share is only because of the name, not the company. If dealers knew what happens in the Corp Headquarters they would think twice about a relationship with Mercury.

Advice to Management

Think twice about your current sales and marketing leadership. Spend some time talking personally to your employees not through surveys. Your employees have spoken but no one listens. Do all the upgrades to the facility you want, its the employees that are feeling left out. There is a lot of finger pointing in the management group.

"Disorganized, Bloated Corporate Mess"

I worked at Mercury Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria onsite with somewhat healthy and tasty options. If you can stand the sea of white, overpaid, stuffed-shirt men staring at you while you pick through the salad bar. Healthcare benefits.

Cons

Old-guard mentalities. Minimal "young blood" to revive outdated business and marketing strategies. Sales, Category and Marketing teams are at direct odds with one another, resulting in explosive, uncomfortable meetings, conflicting assignments and horrible (or zero) communication. The Great Purge of 2009 resulted in some truly nasty, over-competitive people being left at the company, at least on the "white collar" side. Backstabbing, infighting and perpetual "throwing under the bus" of co-workers who should be working together on the same projects are rampant, due to the leftover paranoia. Managers either cannot successfully execute new marketing techniques with latest digital strategies -- or refuse to do so. The worst part is that employees left after the purge on the sales and marketing teams have been given the work of 3-4 people, with no hope for future hires to bear the load. There is no communication between HR and the affected departments about their hiring and workload mitigation needs, or, those needs go ignored. Run away! Run far away!

Advice to Management

Do not be threatened by younger, smarter individuals. That fear will cost this mess of a company its future sales and talent.

8. "Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Mercury Marine (Less than a year)

Pros

Large organization with growth potential. Leaders have great perks in using boats.

Cons

Union-driven. Short-term thinking among leaders to pad their own pockets. Promised employee bonuses and did not deliver after exceeding expectations.

Advice to Management

Consider more long-term planning and better ethical practices for compensating employees.

9. "They make lots of Promises without any follow through"

Current Employee - Assembly in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Assembly in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine (More than a year)

Pros

I work with some great people on my shift

Cons

they promise you the moon but deliver only dirt

Advice to Management

Stop playing games to make yourselves look good at the expense of employees

10. "Hypocrite management! Yes HR, that includes you!"

Former Employee - Management in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Management in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid product portfolio, reputable brand within the marine industry. A leader with strong reputation with field team and the consumer.

Cons

Good ol' boy network! If you're not part of it, or a female, you're screwed! It's normal to have managers belittle their employees and not be held accountable for doing it.

Advice to Management

Clean house with Director level and higher. Too many good ol boys that will not listen to new employees or their ideas.

"Was nice at first,but now not a good place to work"

Pros

At one time good wage and benefits,but in recent years things have become to rigid and fewer opportunities exist for inventive people.

Cons

Any dissent is dealt with harshly,directors and managers all seem to be only concerned with improving their position,to often common sense and good judgement are overlooked in favor of lame ideas and practices.

Advice to Management

There is an immediate need to repair damage done during recent reshuffling of plant floor personnel and direction.Locally the available labor pool has dried up of any truly promising individuals.Not easy to retain people on paltry wage and no future benefits,company no longer innovator it wants world to believe it is.