Mercury Systems Reviews in Chelmsford, MA | Glassdoor

4.3
Mercury Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark Aslett
Mark Aslett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, both managers and the company as whole care about employee development (in 13 reviews)

• The company culture is great, work environment is very positive and the people I work with are outstanding (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons after many years of working here (in 6 reviews)

• Cons are in line with entire defense industry (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work with happy employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, managers care about employee development, company is growing, industry to be proud of working in, headquarters moving to beautiful new facility!

Cons

I don't have any so far!

Apr 10, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

We are thrilled to be officially moved into our new location and glad that you are part of it. Thank you for leaving feedback, we appreciate each review.

"Cool place to work on Software, but was only OK for me"

Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Despite selling to a niche group of companies, the products we made were (or at least seemed to me) very cutting-edge, and working there was a great learning experience for a growing engineer. Some of my coworkers were really friendly and the other interns there got along pretty well.

Cons

Overall it did not feel like a very vibrant place to work. I felt very disconnected from the rest of the company (and I was, the part of the office they had me working was not very full...). Others had a passion for what they worked on but I couldn't place where the passion came from, and I really didn't feel the same way.

I was underutilized and put on projects that didn't matter very much to the company. My immeadiate boss didn't have a lot of time to help me get more involved, and while my other coworkers shared their work with me I still felt like my capabilities were not being used well. I was also asked to start working a few days a week at the companies other facility which added time to my commute, a change for which I was never offered any compensation.

I think that had I worked in a different department at the company, I would have had a much better experience. I don't want to suggest that the rest of the company is like this and I know that several friends I made while working there enjoyed it a lot. Just be aware that, especially for internships and co-ops, that sometimes you can get the short end of the stick.

Jun 7, 2017 – Marketing Communications

Thank you for your feedback. We use feedback at Mercury Systems to uncover issues and learn how to do better from Glassdoor to “indoors”. We are very proud of our intern and coop programs across the... More

3. "Real Work Experience for Software Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Co-op in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Co-op in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, Competitive Internship Compensation, Interesting Technology

Cons

Defense industry, favoritism, poor communication

Advice to Management

More employee development and more collaboration would drive employee growth, morale, and productivity.

4. "Strong Culture, Leadership and Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive culture lead by a strong leadership team and employees that are committed to the company. High collaboration between teams.

Cons

The org structure is challenging to understand at first.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to think about how to connect the remote sites.

May 2, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. OneMercury is not just a brand but an initiative. We have established systems like Skype for Business, and Atlassian which includes Confluence... More

5. "On the Up and UP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mercury is definitely on the up and up. Worked here for a while now and I must say that the working people genuinely seem to care about each other and are always trying to help each other out. Very good place to work.

Cons

Everyone is running at full speed all the time. If you don't like a fast paced environment, not sure what to tell you.

May 4, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value each review and take them very seriously to help develop and grow our business from the inside out. Thank you for acknowledging our strong culture of... More

6. "Company with Great Potential"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems as a contractor

Pros

In my opinion, the company strives towards right goals and the future looks bright. Mercury cares about their employees and they have the best intention (going through some positive changes) of making it a great place to work. My team consists of really smart, supportive and nice people. There is a plenty of room for growth.

Cons

I wish the place is more diverse.
    There is a big disconnection between departments, everyone is stretched too thin and that makes it hard to accomplish things.
    Also, no processes in place and it is hard to figure out who is accountable.

Advice to Management

It is obvious that company is going through growing pains. Organize and put processes in place, otherwise it will harder and harder to manage things. You are doing an excellent job of caring for your employees.

"forever startup"

Current Employee - Manager in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented, loyal, and well-meaning people, with a strong sense of purpose and community, engineering driven, working on exciting products and making a difference in our country's defense

Cons

Continual crisis mode (primitive and misguided schedules, little or no risk management, always making the same mistakes), short-term revenue always trumps any concerns; accountability is rare

personality (not process) driven, paying little heed to the benefits of a solid process,effective CAPA is rare

communication is generally ad hoc (without permanence or process), vibrant rumor mill fills gaps in (or total lack of) official communications,

increasingly restrictive and controlling (in the name of "security" and "progress")

Advice to Management

create and cultivate effective communication at and between levels; refine corporate communications (proof-read, screen, edit, align, etc); give line-level managers the mandate to lead (and relinquish their former individual technical work); take process seriously (invest time, talent, and organization); ease up on the big new pushes (while ignoring how behind we are on the current set of tasks)

8. "Great Place to work"

Current Contractor - Compensation Analyst in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Contractor - Compensation Analyst in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Not Stressful
    Flexible work hours
    Great Cafe

Cons

Crowded Building
    Relies on too much paper

Advice to Management

Bring in Leading Edge Information systems and reduce amount of paper processing

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is growing and has a great leadership team. The corporate culture fosters teamwork and growth across the organization.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

"Mercury Systems (Chelmsford)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many Pros. For me the biggest include – Sophisticated, friendly culture that is actively maintained – Challenging (in a good way) suite of customer solutions that really do matter – And a management team with clear vision, purpose and executable strategy.

Cons

The few cons are so minor, they are hardly worth mentioning – So I won’t:)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing