Mercury Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Mercury Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark Aslett
Mark Aslett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, both managers and the company as whole care about employee development (in 13 reviews)

• The company culture is great, work environment is very positive and the people I work with are outstanding (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons after many years of working here (in 6 reviews)

• Cons are in line with entire defense industry (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mercury Systems has great work culture and we are very serious about it. We openly and effectively drive teamwork, execution and commitment. I'm unaware of any employee at my level that doesn't share those values. I feel comfortable calling other sites to talk to subject matter specialist, many of whom I've never met in person and in return offering my help and direction when asked. Upper management is extremely approachable and engaged. I know that they recognize how important our defense products are to the people who go in harms way. The work environment is often challenging technically and in pace, but the rewards are real. We are serious about providing a clean, current, supportive work space and the appropriate tools are always provided. Additionally Mercury keeps giving me stuff...training as needed, bonuses, barbecues, lunches, easy ways to reward co-workers for ideas or help to me personally or the organization in general. Finally I recognize that Mercury is absolutely fearless about change. If management thinks there is a better way to do something institutionally it will be discussed, torn apart, tested and if it still has life someone will pull the trigger.

Cons

Regardless of what I said about change at the executive level there is certainly institutional "inertia" to deal with at the operational levels. Its understandable but often disconcerting. There are too many meetings for my taste and the meetings we need sometimes head off into tangents.

Advice to Management

Please offer employees more "stand-up" meeting area's.

Mercury Systems Response

Nov 9, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

We appreciate the time you took to leave this review. You are correct, we are very serious about our culture. We are so glad that you are comfortable initiating cross-functional collaboration. This... More

2. "Initial review"

Current Employee - Intermediate Test Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Intermediate Test Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing hours, great staff, tons of new things happening all the time, can't complain about a growing company.

Cons

not enough staff in some areas, requires extensive overtime to accomplish tasks when they are due.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more staff in areas that have massive influx, whether it be seasonal contracts or people that shift from one area to another.

"Clean up the Security and Compliance Management team"

I worked at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mercury has some exceptionally talented individuals. I was privileged to work with many of them at various locations from Headquarters to different facilities across the US. My observation was that most of these people work extremely hard and pride themselves on what they do. If treated with respect they will be open to sharing.

Cons

The current management group heading security and compliance needs change. In my opinion, they have an extreme distrust of employees in general, choosing to believe that most are hiding activities from them or are too ignorant to know their jobs. . On a conference call I once heard one of the team members at a facility deride a shipping employee when she inferred that he was stupid and not privy to information that could enable him to have the opinion he expressed. What ? There is also a distrust of each other on their own staff, in spite of several years of attempting to appear attuned to team building at off-site boondoggles. It would behoove upper management and HR to listen closely to complaints and to look at the reason for lawsuits. An unprofessionalism exists. Director level management and others speak ill of people who have left or are in the process of leaving the company to other staff members. This should not be tolerated in any business. Some would say it's simply sour grapes, but I can say from experience that this management team is in need of overhaul and I hope it occurs for the sake of all those who do work hard at their jobs. I was specifically told by the director at one time that my choice was to "drink the kool-aid" or move on.

Advice to Management

Dont shrug off complaints against this management team as personality conflicts. There is some deep seated bias against women in general in my opinion. And strive to have management that reflects the can-do culture of most of the company; not a rigid school-teacher mentality and managers who claim nobody but them knows the answer. One of these people will not admit when she has made mistakes so beware. Once you cross that line, you are no doubt throwing your staff under the bus.

"Great organization! Happy employee!"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mercury is the best company I've ever worked for both in terms of culture and innovation. It feels so good to come to work every day and feel fulfilled by the opportunities to employ my expertise but also the business and what we do as a company. Management from the C-suite down really cares (most of them anyway) and wants what's best for the employees. It's like a family here but a family of overachievers. At Mercury, they push us hard to get results and many times you'll end up putting in well over your 40 hours each week, but it's balanced out by generous PTO and flexible work hours. This company is driving hard toward growth and success, it's just a question of whether you're in or out. I've worked at a lot of places and all the others either expect 100% from you and give nothing but disrespect in return or are so beaurocratic and afraid of stepping on others feelings, that nothing gets done. Mercury is the perfect balance of hard charging and human. I personally love this organization and I hope I have a LONG career here.

Cons

- HR, especially at the leadership level: There are a few individual contributors who are great, but for the most part it's a waste of time to talk to anyone on the team and expect anything positive to come from it. They are dismissive and don't listen to a word anyone says - whether it's feedback or a request for assistance with something - they turn it around on you. They think they have all the answers. They refuse to acknowledge their issues or that they even have any and it's really frustrating to see senior management let them get away with it and in fact protect/insulate them from any accountability. They are supposed to drive our culture and values through the organization, but they don't even abide by them.
    - Growth: it's been amazing to be a part of our growth but it's been tough too, to go through the transtitions so quickly. It's hard to keep up the pace sometimes.

Advice to Management

Do something about HR.

Mercury Systems Response

Dec 14, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thank you! Your comments under pros really capture our culture. It is like a family here, and I love your term, “family of overachievers”. At Mercury, our employees invest in each other both... More

5. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineer in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Andover, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mercury is a company at the leading edge of technology. Almost everyone I have worked with has a customer-focused mentality. As Mercury has grown to multiple locations throughout the United States and overseas, the company has adopted technology which makes collaboration easier for associates who are not co-located. Mercury encourages professional development and growth.

Cons

My experience has been very positive, so I don't have any negatives to share.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on developing individual associates to achieve their full potential without having to look elsewhere for opportunities.

6. "Great leadership!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very forward thinking leadership who are not bounded by traditional defense business model. Always thinking outside of the box to ensure that the company provides the best and affordable solutions to our warfighters.

Cons

Too much opportunities and limited amount of time!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and do not change course.

7. "Thank you Mercury"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I believe the senior leadership of the company have the absolute best interests in mind for every employee. Mercury is much more demanding than most companies, BUT you grow professionally. You will be pushed out of your professional comfort zone but not in a bad way.

Your experience can vary based on your organization. I'm very fortunate to work in a natural-born leader's organization and benefit from the stability and clear direction we receive on a regular basis.

Cons

Not every employee can work in the organization I do.

I mean this with the greatest of respect, but I think sometimes those of the highest seniority levels could have a little bit more compassion for their employees.

Advice to Management

Continue addressing the big picture weaknesses your employees identify. I say this acknowledging that Mercury is a great place to work, so you'll need to listen to the minority of employees who highlight something that is painful to hear and more painful to acknowledge/address within the company. By doing what's difficult, I believe you will create even more loyal employees in the future. Thank you for your consideration of my thoughts.

8. "Good as it gets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is hands down one of the best companies I’ve ever worked for. The people working here are genuine and you get the sense the higher ups are really listening to these reviews.

When you spend time in environments where you don’t feel valued and respected you appreciate when you find it.

I’ve found everyone here is supportive, most are hard working and genuine.

Cons

There can be some inertia to overcome, but in a growing company this is to be expected.

At times there are disconnects between groups and sometimes there’s a sense some groups are understaffed.

It’s not perfect, no company is, but there is the sense people who can change things are listening.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people and treating us with respect.

"Selfish and Untrained Management Staff"

Former Employee - N/A in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - N/A in Andover, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and are team players

Cons

Too Much Untrained Management members that are only self rewarding. There is no acknowledgement of the employees that serve their reports on a platter for their upper management meetings. No organization, duplicated efforts being made by numerous employees, no wonder why overhead is so high. Oh and if you love working in the past, this is the place, their software system is something out of the stone age.

Advice to Management

Get some training and stop thinking of yourselves so much. There are a lot of great people that work for you with great talent... let them feel appreciated once and awhile.

"I believe in Mercury but..."

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel Mercury is on a strong growth trajectory. It's a company you can be proud of. There's great work and a lot of great people. People come together when needed and do what needs to be done, but sometimes at the expense of other employees.

The technology and products are incredible.

Cons

Compensation is competitive if you are working a 8-5 job. But most Mercury employees work crazy hours, not by their choice. HR claims compensation is competitive. And I agree - it's competitive if you work 8-5 and aren't made to put aside your life. If you demand employees give up their lives, is the same level of compensation appropriate? Is that really a fair comparison?

Compensation should be in line with performance and behavior. It's not today.

Mercury needs to be more process-driven and systematic in all aspects.

Advice to Management

You claim to care about your employees, so let's see some action to back up those words. You deliver when it counts for the street. Will you do the same for the peope who make it happen? I think you can.