Mercury Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

Mercury Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark Aslett
Mark Aslett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company is growing - you feel the positive energy (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, both managers and the company as whole care about employee development (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons after many years of working here (in 6 reviews)

• Cons are in line with entire defense industry (in 5 reviews)

""Do as I say, not as I do""

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a fairly flexible work schedule in terms of working from home when you need to. Benefits are reasonable. You can leave at the end of your day knowing you made a difference to our military. I keep that in mind every day when I go home with my spirit crushed on the worst of days - it's the only thing that keeps me from calling in sick the next day.

Cons

I'll reiterate a lot of what has been said already but it is worth repeating. The company sets these lofty goals for being a great place to work. They are trying to put the image out there, then hope the company becomes it, as opposed to changing from within and having that image reflect externally.

If the company was honest about its work environment, the company slogan would be "Do as I say, not as I do". Some of the management has a set of rules for their work friends and another set of rules for the folks who do the real work. Don't expect to be treated fairly. It's not what you do. It's who you know.

Nothing that happens is illegal, it's just highly unprofessional. Mercury is very clear on its guidelines - unprofessional behavior is tolerated and encouraged by some managers. Nothing bad enough to get someone fired, but just enough to drain the life and work ethic out of you.

Don't try complaining, because everyone at Mercury knows what happens to those who don't drink the kool aid.

If you are interviewing with Mercury, I hope you end up in a better group than I did. Don't accept a lower salary because it's a self-proclaimed great place to work like I did.

Advice to Management

See Cons, I think it speaks for itself. Is this the kind of work environment you really want?

"Program Analyst"

I worked at Mercury Systems full-time

Pros

New business opportunities were very interesting

Cons

Employee turn around was high

"Cool place to work on Software, but was only OK for me"

Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Systems Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Despite selling to a niche group of companies, the products we made were (or at least seemed to me) very cutting-edge, and working there was a great learning experience for a growing engineer. Some of my coworkers were really friendly and the other interns there got along pretty well.

Cons

Overall it did not feel like a very vibrant place to work. I felt very disconnected from the rest of the company (and I was, the part of the office they had me working was not very full...). Others had a passion for what they worked on but I couldn't place where the passion came from, and I really didn't feel the same way.

I was underutilized and put on projects that didn't matter very much to the company. My immeadiate boss didn't have a lot of time to help me get more involved, and while my other coworkers shared their work with me I still felt like my capabilities were not being used well. I was also asked to start working a few days a week at the companies other facility which added time to my commute, a change for which I was never offered any compensation.

I think that had I worked in a different department at the company, I would have had a much better experience. I don't want to suggest that the rest of the company is like this and I know that several friends I made while working there enjoyed it a lot. Just be aware that, especially for internships and co-ops, that sometimes you can get the short end of the stick.

Jun 7, 2017 – Marketing Communications

Thank you for your feedback. We use feedback at Mercury Systems to uncover issues and learn how to do better from Glassdoor to “indoors”. We are very proud of our intern and coop programs across the... More

"Working at Mercury"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time

Pros

Interesting work to do and a lot of different tasks

Cons

Poor coordination across sites and stringent IT

Jun 5, 2017 – Marketing Communications

Thanks for providing feedback on Glassdoor. Given the nature of Mercury’s business, we have an extreme focus on security. Also, given our M&A activity, we tend to standardize across sites quickly... More

5. "Real Work Experience for Software Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Co-op in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Co-op in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, Competitive Internship Compensation, Interesting Technology

Cons

Defense industry, favoritism, poor communication

Advice to Management

More employee development and more collaboration would drive employee growth, morale, and productivity.

6. "Geographically Diverse Locations are Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, NH

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Work, Great People, Great Capabilities

Cons

Too many meetings; West Coast groups schedule meetings for late evening on East Coast, East Coast groups schedule meetings for early morning on West Coast. The meetings are rarely if ever on time and few have stated goals or agenda. Even worse most do not result in actionable information!

Advice to Management

Take more time to integrate the divisions. Think about the workload and impact on people working across multiple divisions.

May 5, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thank you for this constructive feedback. We value your time. We realize that the pace of a global team is not a perfect 9-5 arrangement, especially when you have to live it. This is a big challenge... More

7. "Lets make Mercury Great"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time

Pros

Great people work there. People care about the company.

Cons

People are stuck in the old ways of previous companies.

"forever startup"

Current Employee - Manager in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented, loyal, and well-meaning people, with a strong sense of purpose and community, engineering driven, working on exciting products and making a difference in our country's defense

Cons

Continual crisis mode (primitive and misguided schedules, little or no risk management, always making the same mistakes), short-term revenue always trumps any concerns; accountability is rare

personality (not process) driven, paying little heed to the benefits of a solid process,effective CAPA is rare

communication is generally ad hoc (without permanence or process), vibrant rumor mill fills gaps in (or total lack of) official communications,

increasingly restrictive and controlling (in the name of "security" and "progress")

Advice to Management

create and cultivate effective communication at and between levels; refine corporate communications (proof-read, screen, edit, align, etc); give line-level managers the mandate to lead (and relinquish their former individual technical work); take process seriously (invest time, talent, and organization); ease up on the big new pushes (while ignoring how behind we are on the current set of tasks)

9. "A Sort of Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mercury is a growing company with lots of new opportunities to grow your skill set or expand into other areas.
    Employees are helpful, great and committed to Mercury's success.

Cons

Since I started at Mercury they seem to have annual large lay offs.
    Those at the top don't know anything about day to day of the employees.
    Too much middle management that doesn't do anything other than get in the way of what people who actually produce are doing.
    Raises are small, don't cover cost of living, or even the rise in health care cost each year.
    Profit share stinks, while people at the top make so much more, go on extravagant dinners and get golf memberships as business expenses.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bloat. Maybe if we didn't have so many middle managers doing nothing but getting a paycheck we could afford to give raises that at least cover the rising cost of health care.

"Great people to work with, not such great people to work under"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

-I'm never bored with my work. The projects I work on mix up enough to stay interesting, but are within my comfort zone enough that I rarely feel in over my head
    -The people on the teams I've worked with and the immediate managers I've worked for have always been great people.
    -Good benefits and pay.

Cons

-Confounding decisions that are detrimental to our ability to get our work done are regularly passed down from the higher ups with no transparency or two-way communication.
    -A lot of lip service is paid to making Mercury "a great place to work" but the higher ups only care about Mercury looking like a great place to work, not about it being a great place to work, and will sacrifice the latter in the name of the former.
    -We're often bounced around from project to project, which makes it harder to do good work on any one of them.

Advice to Management

Focus more on making the most of the talent you already have and not getting in their way, rather than trying to attract new talent at the expense of your current employees' abilities to get their work done. A happy employee is not only a better employee, but a better advertisement for your company than any superficial improvements you might make.