Mercury Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Mercury Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark Aslett
Mark Aslett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule, not micro-managed, great people to work with (in 10 reviews)

• They seem to be proud of creating a great place to work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons after many years of working here (in 6 reviews)

• Cons are in line with entire defense industry (in 5 reviews)

1. "Strong Culture, Leadership and Employees"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive culture lead by a strong leadership team and employees that are committed to the company. High collaboration between teams.

Cons

The org structure is challenging to understand at first.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to think about how to connect the remote sites.

May 2, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. OneMercury is not just a brand but an initiative. We have established systems like Skype for Business, and Atlassian which includes Confluence... More

2. "On the Up and UP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mercury is definitely on the up and up. Worked here for a while now and I must say that the working people genuinely seem to care about each other and are always trying to help each other out. Very good place to work.

Cons

Everyone is running at full speed all the time. If you don't like a fast paced environment, not sure what to tell you.

May 4, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thanks so much for your feedback. We value each review and take them very seriously to help develop and grow our business from the inside out. Thank you for acknowledging our strong culture of... More

3. "One Mercury"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Acquired 10 months ago, I am finding Mercury to be a company that "walks the talk." Commitments were made on Day 1, communicated clearly. Mercury is "working" those commitments everyday offering growth with a solid strategic plan, opportunities for the employees, incentives, and a strong feeling of belonging, thus One Mercury. I would recommend this environment to anyone with a good work ethic, ready for a busy pace, rewarded by a good salary, benefits and best of all a great team behind you.

Cons

Growing pains! Growth is a wonderful thing and extremely challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue the One Mercury culture, invest in the people and the plan will happen.

Feb 22, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Welcome to Mercury and thank you for the feedback. We are thrilled to hear that your transition to Mercury has been a positive experience. Our company culture is very important to us and we strive to... More

4. "Operations Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mercury Systems is a fast growing company with excellent top end management driving the company"s growth. Benefits and perks are great. They encourage people to be involved and make suggestions for continuous improvements. There is very good support and interaction between the various locations. Security is very important to all.

Cons

With the rapid growth and acquisitiions there are some growing pains learning new processes and procedures. The controls and overall visibility into each organization is an adjustment for day to day activity.

Advice to Management

We need strong full time management at the location to develop a team and structure the organization for future growth and improved efficiencies.

Feb 22, 2017 – Mercury Leadership Team

Thank you for this important feedback. We continue to grow and learn by each one of these reviews but even more so, we are thrilled that your suggestions for improvement are taken seriously... More

5. "Computer Programmer"

Current Employee - Projects in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Projects in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training was good and people here are friendly and smart. Very good choice for the first job. Pay is always on time.

Cons

Low percentage when you on the project. Salary increase is slow. Must go back to Princeton when you on bench. Doesn't have direct client.

Nov 17, 2016 – Sr. Manager, Marketing Communications

Thank you for your review! While we appreciate and consider all feedback, we are not familiar with projects or roles in Philadelphia, PA. Is it possible this review was meant for a different company... More

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is growing and has a great leadership team. The corporate culture fosters teamwork and growth across the organization.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

"An Ideal Place for New Engineers"

Current Employee - Technical Co-Op in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Co-Op in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mercury Systems has a fantastic engineering team that I am proud to be a part of. Plenty of Mercury engineers have been in the industry for decades, so there is no shortage of experience. The company culture reflects this older workforce. I have learned more about property, taxes, politics, and investing from Mercury employees than any other medium. From a new-employee perspective, this is the place you want to be if you want to kick-start your career. I am by no means some superstar engineer. However, the experience I have gained from working at Mercury has really filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge and given me confidence in my work. Even from a business perspective, Mercury is leading the industry in growth, and has only accelerated after their recent deal with Microsemi. Overall Mercury is well-prepared for the future, and they will be looking for plenty of younger engineers as well.

Cons

Working in the engineering group at Mercury, it feels like there is a real disconnect between management and engineering. This is probably an issue everywhere that gets swept under the rug, but it felt more prevalent at Mercury than any other companies I have worked for. There is also a lack of formal training in the company, and the little training that is available tends to be provided for managers. It's not that you won't learn new skills here, you certainly will, it's just that there's no real learning program setup for the senior engineers of the company to keep up with newer engineering tools and concepts.

Advice to Management

Engineers need specifics.
    If you do not give specifics about what decisions are being made for the company then engineers are going to be suspicious. Using Glassdoor for management feedback is not the solution, we can do better. The meetings with engineers haven't really cut it. Very few issues the engineers care about are addressed. The last meeting with management I was in involved the management representative talking about the direction the company is going. Sounds good, except the entire speech was tip-toeing over key issues engineers actually cared about. Even when asked about a key issue, the representative didn't provide specifics. This should be a red flag to that representative, not something to continue to avoid. To this day the engineers are still speculating about key issues; rumors run rampant, we are assuming the worst, and all could be avoided if management would provide specifics to quell any suspicions.

"Mercury is a Good Place to Work with Great Technology but can be overloading"

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time

Pros

At Mercury, there is opportunity to design with the latest and greatest technology. Designs of modules and systems bring exciting challenges that require high density solutions and innovation. The people are intelligent and hard working. Team members are willing to help each other. There is always work to do and employees are always busy, sometimes too busy. Overall, Mercury is a good place to work.

Cons

At Mercury, often there is overload of work under aggressive schedules. There are often many #1 priorities that make juggling complicated for engineers and managers which then results in lower efficiency. New developments may get pushed to the next phases when there are still unknowns. Acceleration can require repeating steps or trying to catch-up on early phases at the end, often prolonging total life cycle. Overall, Mercury is a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit talented employees to support existing staff. Increase growth and promote opportunities for increased focus, efficiency, and quality. Continue good compensation and rewards.

"Defense Computing"

Current Employee - Technology Architect in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Architect in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has over the last few years built a very strong position in embedded processing for the defense industry. The current work force is an interesting mix of senior-expert baby boomers and young people just starting out. Salaries are competitive and supported by performance-driven bonuses paid every 6 months. There is a decent 401k match and a strong employee stock ownership program. Current physical plant is old, most people work in conventional cubicles, but move to a new facility is being planned. Overall an interesting place to learn about and utilize your expertise in high performance hardware and software.

Cons

Company went through some very tough times 3-5 years ago (heavy layoffs) and there are some lingering bad feelings from a few folks and also some residual bad reviews on social media. In addition, it is pretty much exclusively defense work so the environment is a driven more by need to know rather than by need to share. The location is currently very isolated but that is changing.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into seeking out employee opinions on things like the new building and how it will be organized.

"Software Engineer I"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

Fast paced and energetic work environment with people who want to 'get things done'. Everyone is friendly and willing to lend a hand with any issue that comes up. Great access to the tools you need to get the job done and support infrastructure is quick to respond (doesn't take weeks to get tools needed to do your job). Smart and talented engineers working together on interesting and challenging projects.

Cons

Sparse documentation - engineers have an immense amount of domain knowledge stored in their heads and in some cases to only way to figure out how to do something is to ask the right person