Mercy Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Mercy Health System President & CEO Javon Bea President
Javon Bea President

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • too many people in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• They're concerned with policies and procedures that hinder my job but protects the hospital from potential lawsuits - such is the culture of healthcare (in 3 reviews)

1. "MDS"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

management changed often causing uncertainty

Advice to Management

listen to employee concerns

"RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Springfield, OH

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

uh oh it's a job

Cons

Illegal hiring chg job descriptions and duties to fit what they want don't back up employees always taking away from employees management stays in their offices too much retaliatory leadership sticks their heads in the sand when abusive behavior happens to employees very few people and community has a negative attitude towards the hospital no chance for advancement

Advice to Management

get out of your offices and support the employees chg top leadership will say you can trust us but don!t believe it! everyone knows

"If you have a complaint, you become the problem"

Pros

Benefits, pay, discounts for Mercy physicians.

Cons

Micromanagement, taking on more work that is feasible with less employees. Management too much favoritism. Lack of respect from co-workers who know how to turn the charm on and off for the right people.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they say that they have too many responsibilities. This is due to inheriting work from a lack of employees. This sets employees up failure.

"MERCY SUBURBAN HOSPITAL, can take it because I need employment but really ready to just leave it! Tired of settling!!!"

Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in East Norriton, PA
    Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in East Norriton, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff that genuinely cares for the community and low income families needing medical care. Caring & dedicated medical and support staff.

Cons

A lot of "do as I say and not as I do" directors + managers. It's not what you know but who you know. Certain management personnel are just flat out BULLIES that walk around flexing on their staff with an "I dare you to disagree with me attitude". Very rarely do you hear a simple "Thank You". Good, strong & smart employees have walked out and called it quits b/c of Mgmt. behavior and attitudes. Employees come in stressed because of the way they're treated, and spoken to. Mgmt sits behind their desk and try to run the department from what they see on paper and hear-say from their "buddies", not by going to all areas within the department to at least acknowledge and understand what some employees do and go through to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Words to mgmt: #1- A simple "thank you" goes a long way! #2- Stop telling employees what they can't or shouldn't do and then you're caught doing the exact same things you've warned and/or reprimanded your employees for doing. #3- Bullying doesn't and will never get you respect, what it will get you is fed-up employees that will throw in the towel without warning. #4- You're not above getting your hands dirty, jump in the trenches once in a while and be part of the solution not a paper shuffling, pencil pushing part of the problem. #5- Last, but certainly not least, please spare everyone of all your "I used to work there and did these awesome things" for whatever hospital/organization you WORKED (past tense) for. If you were that great, and so valuable to these places why are you not there??? Remember, your reputation will all precede you...that's anywhere & everywhere you go. Good news travels quick, but bad news moves at light breaking speed!!!

5. "Great place to be if your white"

Current Employee - IT Support
    Current Employee - IT Support

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than working in illinois

Cons

If you are not white then you might as well be picking cotton in the fields

6. "Lots of attitudes. Poor management"

Current Employee - CNA in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with the patients!

Cons

Lots of snooty attitudes. .Management not very helpful.

Advice to Management

Management should put some thought into classes to build friendships or cut the drama.

7. "Opportunities? What opportunities?"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation time for a first job. 18 days your first year. OK medical benefits cost.

Cons

Lots of changing schedules. Seniority or job performance means nothing. It is who you socialize with. Lots of hiring from outside the company. I have seen my PCP twice, took over a month to get in each time and been cancelled on both times. Had to wait another month. went to ED and was seen by doctor for 30 secs and just sent me to Walgreens for over the counter medication that did nothing. I would compare the care to a fast food chain. In and out- it's all about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Give feedback when asked. A few times I have asked upper management what I can do as an employee to succeed within the company and never get an answer, they just dance around the question. Reviews are just cookie cutter reviews, nothing specific to individual performance. I should not have to pay for my own training outside of the company.

8. "37 years from Central Supply, Registration, Medical Records to Billing out 2ndary Ins after Medicare rev'd claim."

Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist in Janesville, WI

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Many different Career Goals to go after.

Cons

Human Relations and Dept management problems towards employees.

Advice to Management

Check closer into Directors & Management Positions & their Supervisor relations towards the employees.

9. "Pitiful from day one in department compliments of the lazy department manager"

Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers and good benefits

Cons

Too many to list it would be like a novel compliments of the manager

Advice to Management

Take care of problems when your employees come to you about problems

"TOO much inter-office drama and negativity, lack of respect from upper management!!"

Current Employee - Patient Registration in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Patient Registration in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Working in the trauma hospital, we see so much, which is a great leaning tool. The free classes and educational re-embursement from Mercy is phenominal!

Cons

We are the lowest paid, the least respected in my position, yet we are the first face patients see and we set the tone for their visit. No cost of living increase in 6 years! Very difficult to speak openly with management and human rescources. Many issues get swept under the rug or un-aknowledged.

Advice to Management

Compensate better, lower the rates we have to pay for Mercys own insurance, a happier employee creates a better environment. Patients can tell that there is an over all dissatisfaction with mercy employees. Thats why there is such a high turn over rate with employees!!!!