Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Charles

1. "Service Desk Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits, good pay, great coworkers

Cons

Shortsightedness of management, grossly underfunded departments, poorly managed IT infrastructure, hard to get promoted and management will tell you they were passed up 4 times before getting promoted like it's supposed to make it better

2. "Shaky and somewhat shady organization"

Current Employee - BSN- RN Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - BSN- RN Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, health insurance is good. Coworkers can be great people. Free parking although there is walking usually involved across busy streets. Can be risky at night.

Cons

Pay, no pay increase for several years, basically if the administrators don't reach their profit "goal," they will not give pay increases except to management to meet their goals.
    Management only cares about meeting their goals, can be cutthroat.
    You may work 4 hours one week and 70 the next. And thus you will not get overtime.
    As a nurse you may work 630am until 2am the next morning without a break and be expected to be at work by 630 next morning. Management does not care about employee safety, only staffing the minimum requirements.

Advice to Management

Healthcare is about care for people, not making as much as you can off of their illness.

3. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

The president is very nice.

Cons

Taking almost 90 days to fill out a 7 day orientation. Policies were not discussed. Degraded in front of other staff. Told lacked initiative and lacked the Mercy Touch. Asked to get food/coffee for superior frequently. Degrading comments made about person previously in position.

Advice to Management

Take time to train your employees. Be organized.

5. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to have multiple interactions with patients and areas of the hospital which is very exciting and rewarding. I got to work closely with nurses, doctors and other staff which was fun.

Cons

You had to be flexible in your schedule and it was mandatory to work holidays and weekends. The turn over rate can be a lot to handle because staff is consistently changing.

6. "RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time

Pros

friendly staff, good physicians, positive outcomes

Cons

poor psych access, lab errors

7. "work that feeds your soul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

If you want to work for a hospital that delivers height quality care with compassion, Mercy is for you. Mercy staff cares for the sick and enhances the health of our community. I'd recommend the care and as a great place to work.

Cons

All healthcare is being asked to do more with less. Mercy has its challenges, every place does, but we will come up with creative solutions. We are strong - we survived the flood of 2008.

Advice to Management

Reward and recognize with abundance

8. "I finished my first year and know this is the place to settle down"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Good benefits. I love working with the people on my floor. The orientation was good and I really like my nurse manager

Cons

need to add higher yearly repayment of tuition reimbursement. When I first came there was mandating they have hired additional PRNs to assist in taking extra shifts

9. "Better than most"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average benefits overall, and not surprisingly wonderful medical benefits. Does offer some leadership development opportunities.

Cons

Just below market average on wages (benefits are great, but they just don't pay the rent), advancement opportunities can be pretty limited.

Advice to Management

Stop asking top performers to jump through extra hoops for recognition - empower managers to recognize and reward within their department. Putting together a portfolio demonstrating leadership and technical skills development, community outreach, and whatnot to ask to be recognized for going above and beyond makes it easy for employees to take that same portfolio to the competition, hurting retention efforts and overall morale.

10. "The nights team on pulmonary medicine center (MedSurg) are great at orienting new nurses."

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Certifications (ACLS, PALS, ETC) paid for out of an education fund in form of 8 hours. Lots of scholarships for ongoing ed. Pt ratios are good on overnights (4-6). Great clinical ladder program and opportunities to be involved with committees of interest.

Cons

Haven't increased starting wage for new nurses in two years for cost of living increases. Need to work out some staffing links to ensure plenty of nurses and techs for all shifts and less mandating occurs.

"Do not recommend."

Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

None, you can work at home if you meet requirements, but don't hold your breath.

Cons

Management is wishy washy. Has no firm policies in place. Each dept can make own policies as they go. Lots of drama, employees treat each other with disrespect over & over--no one ever does anything about it.

Advice to Management

Work on office culture more.