Meredith Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 29, 2017

"Part time editor"

Current Employee - Food and Wine Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Food and Wine Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Great company to work with, good to have on the resume. Good growth opportunities. They have offices in Ny, Iowa and also staff can work from home.

Cons

Industry it's going down so the payment it's going to be low. They might ask for exclusivity even with a part time contract.

"Was once a magazine powerhouse, probably won't be much longer"

Former Intern - New Media Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - New Media Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Meredith Corporation as an intern

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, free Pepsi drinks and a coffee machine, and somewhat flexible hours. You get to be part of some cool events and launches, and there are small perks that make being there seem worth it. I was given a ton of responsibility, and I loved how trusting my manager was of my talents and skills. I was recruited away from this role, and at the time I was perfectly happy in my position.

Cons

Some of the tasks we were asked to complete I didn't feel comfortable doing, like rating dishes on magazine websites I had never tasted. While interns were usually excluded, there are many many layoffs and the aura sometimes seems testy because of it. Having left the company, I can see this much more clearly now. If you're not working on one of the bread and butter magazines, don't take your employment for granted.

Advice to Management

Don't drag employees along and don't sugar coat when layoffs have to happen. Usually the employees know it is coming, though.

"Executive Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. People are polite; the hours are manageable; the offices are clean and bright.

Cons

Very cheap company--lots of penny pinching and attention to the bottom line. It's publicly held, and the focus is always on the next quarter, to the detriment of future investment. Plus, it's all men at the top despite the fact the products are aimed at women.

Advice to Management

support your employees. You starve the brands by not supporting them financially. Many people are doing multiple jobs. They need more help.

5. "Editorial Assistant"

Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great team dynamic and support system

Cons

No room for growth, poor pay and benefits for entry-level employees.

"Great benefits but not a collaborative or forward-thinking company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of smart, hard-working people; excellent benefits package; flexible hours (depending on your manager).

Cons

Company leadership is focused on shareholder returns, not on being an excellent publishing company. Way behind on many trends. Little concern for the individual employee and his/her growth. Each unit of the company is rich in knowledge but seems to want to hold all those "secrets" to themselves; no effort to share learnings and therefore increase every unit's chance at success. Company is very, very slow to replace positions as employees leave (if the positions are filled at all), so remaining employees simply get more and more work piled on.

Advice to Management

Employees work best and hardest when they feel valued, not when they're worried about getting laid off at the end of the next quarter or when they see their own pay stagnate while upper management makes very large salaries. Really work with all your employees, of all ages and all levels of experience, to help them grow and find how they can best contribute to the company.

7. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great upper management who take the time to find and mentor entry level employees. Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow from a variety of departments.

Cons

Very little room to grow in the company. Mid-level management leaves a lot to be desired. Job can become very tedious.

"Midlevel editor"

Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My supervisors had a good understanding of the importance of a healthy work/life balance. They were also very generous with their praise.

Cons

The company has an intrusive "Wellness Program" that requires specific medical tests and visits before you will be eligible for health insurance. And raises are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Wellness Program. Give raises yearly.

"Chicago office was great, but new management ruined it"

Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great culture and team in the Chicago office, until NY management came in and laid everyone off in Feb 2015. People were willing to help each other out and were friendly. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. Worked on great brands - BHG, Allrecipes, Shape, Fitness, etc., and worked with Fortune 100 clients.

Cons

NY management came in and laid off pretty much the entire office staff in the digital department. Basically ruining a great team. A complete lack of understanding of the sales/client services relationships that were developed in the office, and how it would effect the business going forward for the clients, and Meredith. Probably all to save a buck too, as it got to the point where everyone was performing too well so they replaced everyone with cheaper, less experienced workers. I would not recommend working for this company now after the way I was treated by NY management, as basically disposable. Other cons are no training, and no career path development. Also, make the 401K match effective immediately, not after 1 year. Waiting a year is ridiculous for it to take effect.

Advice to Management

Transition executive management back to Des Moines where they seem to appreciate culture and value employees better. Develop a training program for new hires, and career path for employees.

"Good place"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Treated me like a full time employee. Got a lot of experience. Friendly environment.

Cons

Didn't hire me even though they promised. Women could be a bit emotional and gossipy

Advice to Management

Not much to advice. Kind people. Maybe just leave your problems at the door before entering the office.

11. "I think the company is fair"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has a Good reputation in the community

Cons

There tends to be high turnover